Monday, July 25, 2016

Quilts and philosophy


Another successful day at Quilts at the Creek. The weather cooperated a bit more today and the sky remained cloudy for most of the day which helped to keep the temperature in a moderate zone!  And no rain although it was threatening.

I mentioned that in Kathy Doughty's class, I didn't actively participate as I wasn't sure what picture I was going to do.  Just wasn't mentally prepared for that challenge and I knew I would go home with a UFO that I would likely never finish.  It's hard to find the right picture when you're not sure of the technique. When I got home from that class, I did find a good picture to use. Kathy was teaching workshops all week at Quilts at the Creek and I wanted to show her that I did at least get something out of the class and while she didn't jump up and down, I think she knew I was on the right track.   I love my picture - actually, I printed about 5 and now I have to choose, but the more I look at them, I think I know which one I want. to do.

Anyway, we had an interesting discussion about the quilting industry and so today, I have questions for you. Send me your comments or suggestions and I'll compile and post the results. You can use the comment section at the end of this post or you can send me an e-mail.   Just click on that link.  I know a number of people want to get in touch with me, but don't have my e-mail, so I`m going to try and remember to post my e-mail at least once a week so if you need to get me and don`t have my new e-mail, you`ll still have a way to get in touch.  I know - I should have a web site and be very organized, but it`s hard to find the time for that. And if you want to send me an e-mail, just to say HI - that's OK too!

So Kathy and I were talking about classes, vibrancy of the quilting community and that kind of thing. Here are a couple of questions to comtemplate.

1. Do you think there is a GOOD quilting community in Southern Ontario or in your specific area?  If yes, what makes you think that?  In no, why isn't is a good quilting community?

2. Do you feel proud to be a Canadian quilter? Why?

3. Do you feel that Canadian quilters are as exciting as US quilters?  By that, I mean, the quilting community. Do we have enough shows? Indoor/outdoor/large/small/hosted by guilds/hosted by third parties.  Do we need quilting shows/more Canadian designers/programs to make the Canadian industry as exciting as the US?   People (including Canadians) flock to American shows, but trickle to Canadian shows. Same with shopping. Why is that?

4. Do you like to take quilt classes?  If so - what are your favourite type?  Do you take a class just for the social aspect? Do you want to start a new project or a project that you've been meaning to work on for a while, but need motivation to start (even if you already understand the technique?)  Do you prefer a class that demonstrates or hands on for a new technique?  Do you prefer small or large projects?  Do you like to do samples or you need a project to work on?

5. Do you feel that quilters get enough respect and support from your city/community/your friends/your family?

6. What about shopping?  Do you prefer on-line? In store? Do you shop for price?  Do you buy JUST because it is on sale? How important is service to you?

7. Shops hops?  row by row?   Like them, hate them?

8. If you could offer one piece of advice or thing you would like to see changed about our quilting industry - what would it be?  Doesn't have to be super realistic as some of the best ideas came from a weird thought.

9. Any other comments.

Wow - that's a heavy way to start Monday morning!   Heavy and thought provoking to you.  I think it would be fun to get together and have a round table discussion on this topic!!!

I was speaking to my Mom recently about family reunions.  Guess what she said?  |Why do they have to do it this way?  Why do they always have it at the same place?"  Because Mom, they are the ones that organize it so they get to choose!!!!!   Drives me crazy!   But the same with anything - if you don't want to pitch in to help, you shouldn't complain!

So I'm not asking you to pitch in to help with anything, other than provide me some feedback!  No strings attached.

Have a great day!!!

Ciao!



2 comments:

  1. 1. yes, I believe there is a quilting community in my area, but can't say how good it is, as I'm not a part of it. I'm the only quilter I know, other than the ones on facebook and those I see at occasional quilting classes.
    2. I'm too new of a quilter to be proud of anything quilting related.
    3. I've been to one quilt show about 15 minutes away from my house, so I'm not qualified to comment.
    4. I do take classes, mostly to learn something I've never done before. Hands on is better for me, but I don't seem to connect well enough with the other people there, as I think we're all just there to learn something more than we're there to socialize.
    5. I don't think my circle of friends understand quilting enough to respect it. They either think it's easier to just buy one, or ask me to make them one for a price that doesn't even cover the supplies.
    6. I prefer to shop in person, and price is a factor. I buzz around clearance tables at quilt shops to expand my stash, and am more likely to purchase something on sale, but if I need something specific, I'll pay full price. I stopped going to big box fabric stores because quality is important to me, and if I have a question, a person at a quilt store is happy to help.
    7. I have never participated in a shop hop. Maybe this would be an option if I had friends who also quilted.
    8. I'm sure there already are local quilting groups, but if there were an outreach type of approach, some of us lone quilters would be able to join in. Facebook is great, but everyone is so far, and a person with limited quilting and/or posting skills might find it difficult to connect with people online. Maybe more localized facebook sub-groups would be an option.
    9. It seems most quilting classes are held at quilt shops. This likely excludes people who can't afford high end cottons. I'm not sure what a solution to this could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Yes I do, we have a lot of guilds which help to promote quilting and also build enthusiasm and confidence. Love my quilting sisters.
    2. Yes again. After going to the CQA show and attending other quilt shows, we have some very prolific quilters in Canada that do beautiful work and would compare to any other countries shows.
    3. Yes again. We may be fewer in numbers but we are just as exciting. I don't know about quilt shows being enough, it is a big job and needs a lot of people to volunteer, some just can't put the time in so it falls to the few who can, which is a shame really as we all enjoy oohing and ahhing at the quilts we see and wishing of course that we could do as well. I wish I could answer this better but we must remember there are a lot more Americans than Canadians.
    4. Love to take classes it's the way we learn, also helps to correct our mistakes that we tend to make. If I see a class advertised that just grabs me I will take it. Took a Joni Newman class a couple of months ago, extremely pleased with it, great teacher, yes Elaine I also took one of yours at Hobby Horse, you are also a great teacher, some just can't teach and don't know how to put it across correctly which can be upsetting to beginners. I have been quilting about 15 years and am still learning and will continue to do so. As for project size shoot I like them all, I do think it's the challenge I like best, being able to say "YES" I can do this.
    5. In Orillia we do, our community is not large like Toronto, but in quilting it is pretty good about promoting our work. My friends and family love what I do and they don't see my mistakes, ( thank goodness ) if I let them they would probably take everything I make.
    6. Ah! shopping. With our lousy dollar it makes it difficult for a lot of people on fixed incomes. Prices of fabric keep going up, and this is already an expensive hobby, and of course we all want the best of everything in machines. I shop locally if they have what I am looking for, also shop at what we like to call discount stores and on line if I can't find it anywhere else. Service is extremely important, it my $$ and I want the best. What does tick me off is when I get the fabric home I find it isn't cut straight, therefore I could be short if I only bought what I needed. I believe more care should be taken when quilt shops are cutting the fabric.
    7. Shop hops, been there done that, no I don't need them anymore, row by row is great but really how many can we make? some good ideas in them though, makes me thing I could use some of them in a quilt, for a couple of years I gathered as many as I could, why, don't know, they are all still sitting in a bag, we get hooked on things and don't know how to stop, it becomes a disease.
    8. Cut straight when cutting fabric. This is really important. Quilt store owners, be polite and friendly, these shoppers are keeping your store going. Our local quilt shop is the best, always friendly, some you go into make you feel like you are intruding in their conversations and make you feel like you should go somewhere else. Fabric is beautiful, but not all of it, some should not be allowed on the shelves. it's cheap quality, not good. Support your local quilt shops or they will not be there when you need them.

    ReplyDelete