Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Schoolgirl Sampler Show and Tell

 

The bandaid is back on - well, a new bandaid. Shortly after I finished the blog yesterday, I picked up something, opened up the cut, and it started to bleed like mad. GRR!!!  I'm sure it's probably OK this morning, but I'm doing not bad on the keyboard, so I'll leave it on for a bit longer!

I made my little road trip. OK -- I'm NOT good in the car. I have no idea why, but in the car - I get tired. I listened to an audiobook, and I chatted with my Dad for a bit. That helped, but I could NOT be a long-haul trucker. Just not going to happen. 

However, mission accomplished. I picked up my order (and a few other orders for people who live near me) from Thimbles and Things, picked up my lights, and dropped off some stuff. The staff at Thimbles and Things are on the ball. My order was filled quickly (I had ordered online the day before). I had a wee chat with Sue. So sad to not be able to go in the store and browse, but it is what it is. Let's move on! The store looks different in the classroom area - it's no longer a classroom but a shipping area. 

 I also took a drive past Fireside Retreat. Well, it's no longer Fireside Retreat, but for old times sake, I drove past. Today, it changes hands, and it was sad to drive by and see the house - empty! 

Last day as Fireside Retreat



But life moves on, and there will be new retreats at different locations. That is, should we ever get out of the lockdown. I don't even know if we're making progress, and well - I just keep on doing my thing. 

I didn't get much chance to sew yesterday. When I got home, I was tired, and so I grabbed a quilt and went off to the gazebo. I went to read, but that didn't happen. I took my afternoon walk and well - then I had computer work to do. A homework assignment got completed and sent, and two more to do today. Plus, other paperwork has to be done. 

I did make a wee bit of progress on the churn dash block. Every little bit helps, and I have until the weekend (my deadline) to get this section done, so I'm not worried. From the Facebook group, I think we're going to see many of the quilt tops (minus the border) done for show and tell this coming month. I can hardly wait to see them all. 


The churn dash block for Long Time Gone

OK -- so let's have a look at the homework for Schoolgirl Sampler. This is one of the ongoing projects for this year hosted by The Hobby Horse. Here's the book that we're using. 


Schoolgirl Sampler


There are 72 small (4" finished) blocks in this quilt, plus lots of skinny sashing and the center block, which is applique. And let's not forget that border with all those half-square triangles. Can you believe that HALF of the blocks are assigned and only 36 small ones left to make! I'm up-to-date, although I do want to remake two of the blocks. 


OK -- let's have a look at the homework from the class. 


Anne has a beautiful palette with soft greens and pinks, and beige background. 


Anne



Barb is using more browns and taupes. 


Barb


Cathie is using blues and creams. See her little beaded bird checking out the blocks?


Cathie


Lucy is making hers in black and white and has added a few English Paper Pieced blocks into the mix. 




Lucy

Margot has several colors happening in her blocks. 


Margot



Mary has attached the numbers on her blocks!!! But they look great. 


Mary


Meg has a bright theme going on with hers, and a number of those fabrics were fussy cut, which is neat!


Meg



Here are Rose's blocks so far. She's using a nice floral print for the background. 

Rose


Ruth has chosen pink and blue, which is looking amazing. 

Ruth



Sharon is using Civil War prints. 

Sharon


Zildi is using up leftover bits from other projects. Don't tell anyone, but she had to piece a few of those small pieces to get a piece large enough to use. I LOVE that. 


Zildi


That's so exciting, and everyone is up to date, and I do believe I got homework from everyone. The quilts are going to be stunning when they are done. 


Here are my blocks—a totally random color choice. 


My first 27 blocks


I literally went to the scrap boxes and picked one that I thought would work. I have had to dip into the stash basket to find larger pieces than I could find in the scrap box. And I dug the sashing out of the stash basket. No idea what I'm going to use for the cornerstones or the borders yet! All in due course - I'll make that up when I get to that spot. 

I do have more blocks done - the homework for this month. Here are those blocks. 

The homework blocks for April

I now have a bit of work to get the next set of blocks done and work on the sashing. These ongoing projects just never end!! But a little bit each month makes the project go quickly, and I would HATE to focus on just one project at a time. I'd be bored out of my mind!!!!

So today's another day! There is lots of computer work, a quilt to quilt, and I will try and get more sewing done. Just stay out of the gazebo!!! At least, I don't have a four-hour errand to do today, which really messed up the day, but it had to be done. 

And I'm keeping up with my computerized To-Do list. Yes - there are a few things that I keep dragging to the next day, but imagine if I had that on a piece of paper? It would be a huge mess. So the computer thing is definitely working for me. 

Has anyone seen this product in their local shop? It's called Hydro Stick by OESD. It's a stabilizer for machine embroidery. I called Dancing Stitches in Waterloo - they don't have any. I searched online, and even the big online store is completely sold out. I'd like to get my hands on some if I could. I now have a note on my shopping list, so I won't forget what it's called. But if anyone knows of a store that sells OESD products (preferably Canadian), let me know, and I'll see if they have this particular stabilizer. 


OESD Hydro Stick tear away stabilizer



On that note, I'm out of here!!!


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment