Sunday, February 22, 2015

Let's get Creative!!!!



Have you noticed how light it is in the morning?  This past week I noticed while walking the dogs that it is completely daylight at 7:00 AM when I get back to the house.  Or maybe it is all the snow that is making it look brighter. I feel kind of exposed not walking in the dark!  Can that mean that summer is coming?  You wouldn't know by the temperature although it wasn't so bad this weekend, but I see that the temps are going back down tonight. The girls love it - I just try not to think about it!

Lots more show n tell yesterday, but I am going to post that tomorrow AM.


Today is all about cleaning up and getting work done.  I have an entire day (well almost) to myself. How did that happen? I have to finish up the QUILTSocial blog so some sewing is in order, then more pictures and writing. And I MUST MUST MUST do some tidying up in the studio.

I have resigned to the fact that all the work surfaces including sewing table, cutting table and ironing boards will NEVER be clear at the same time. It just isn't going to happen. BUT I would like to keep only the active stuff - the really active stuff - like what I am working on that week on the tables. That still means there is going to be a LOT on those tables. But the stuff that is not on the agenda for the week needs to get put away. Hmmmm - good luck with that!!!!


The cutting table this morning

Cool fabrics that Vivenda made a Mossy Radiation from. I love the colours. She gave me some of her leftovers and I purchased the last of the fabrics that were at The Hobby Horse. 
 They are all VERY bright and have a hint of gold in them.


Vivenda and her Mossy Radiation (Kaffe Fassett)


It is absolutely stunning.  I am thinking I might be able to add some Shimmer by Northcott to get enough.  Have to sit down and figure out what I have and what I am missing. Several of the local quilt stores have Shimmer so I better get it figured out BEFORE it all goes away although I doubt that will happen for a while.


Speaking of local quilt shops - I have to tell you this story.  Remember my little rant last week about what people say in quilt stores. It bugs me at the best of times, but it especially bugs me when I am teaching. Which means that I am EMPLOYED by said quilt store to teach.   This lady pipes up - "there is ONLY one Fabricland in Toronto and I like to go to that other store - Len's Mills."   SERIOUSLY????????    Are you going to tell me that you can beat the ENTIRE ROOM of $7.99 fabric at Sew Sisters (that is where I was teaching when the subject came up)?????   Will you get better quality for that price????  I just do not get it!!!!

So I very politely (yes - I was very polite) had a discussion with the entire class about SERVICE. You pay the same price or sometimes more at these other stores. You get ZERO service. I am not saying to NOT shop at these stores - I do buy a fair amount of stuff at Fabricland (but not usually quilting fabric).  But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think about what you are saying when you are in a quilt store. And think with your dollars. If you don't buy or you buy on-line JUST to save money - there will be NO local quilt stores to give you personalized service or classes.  My big thing - if you shop wisely, (and yes we all want a bargain), but if you DO NOT use the bargain fabric - then did you really get a bargain?????

This topic came up on a recent discussion on Facebook and while many people earn money in this business - VERY few can earn a living!!!   I know that I am a bit too giving of my time and my expertise. I try not to be to generous because the amount of free stuff on the internet (and in person) makes it very hard for others to charge for the same thing!

OK - off the soap box!!!!



The ironing board is looking pretty good this morning

Must try to get this set of tables cleared today. I know that isn't going to happen so let's say by Wednesday when we have embroidery - must be clear. Not just swept clean, but processed clean!!!!



It time to get CREATIVE!!!!!

There are TONS of events coming up so you better get out your calendar and start working them in.

Check out the CreativFestival website. It went live earlier this week.   You CANNOT get a better deal than this show. For $15 (one day) or $22 (two days), (FREE PARKING) you get access to FREE demos, make it and take-its (some kit fees apply), shows,  all day long on both days.

I am doing a couple of demos - be sure that you come and see me!!!!!

One is on Hand Embroidery   and two more - Rulers and Bags  (scroll to the bottom of the page - they are TWO separate demos)

There is tons of stuff to see - some quilt shows of Canadian Quilter's Association quilts, a place to check out sewing machines if you are in the market, look at new products  - fabric, patterns, techniques.  Oh my - there just isn't time to see it all!!!!   While I like working the CreativFestival, I also enjoy being a visitor so I can enjoy all the free demos myself. I might see if I can sneak away from the booth (I'll be with Sew Fancy again) to catch one or two demos. I saw a couple that I am very interested in!!!!!

Anyway - check out the information - buy your ticket on-line and get ready to learn!!!!!  


On that note - I am fired up - got some paper work to clear up first thing. Then onto to the sewing machine and the camera!!

Have an awesome day!!!!


Ciao!!




No comments:

Post a Comment