Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Bonnie and Camille Show and Tell

 So much fun at Monday Sewing!  The big question will be once we are allowed to get back together again - will we? I'm not going to be a fan, but I'll wait and see what happens. The Zoom calls are just so much more efficient. 

I don't have a lot to show from yesterday; I trimmed up many more units for the Double Wedding Ring quilt, which I'll share another day. 

Let's have a look at the homework from Bonnie and Camille that took place on the weekend. 


Bonnie and Camille book


As usual, I'm randomly picking blocks from the book. It wouldn't be fun to do them in the order they appear or by section! Oh no - I like to keep the class guessing. 

The first blocks belong to Bev. That bee block had a LOT of pieces with some challenging cutting, but if you labeled everything, life was good. I don't think anyone had trouble with the bee block. 



Bev



These blocks belong to Catherine. It's interesting how people have chosen their color palettes. Some have followed the book with an actual kit. Others are using similar colors to the original but using their own fabrics, some are softer, and others are a selection of various colors and prints. It's the kind of quilt that anything goes.  



Catherine

Cathine


These blocks belong to Donna, who is using a particular color palette. I love the medium gray background. It gives the blocks in the second photo a totally different look. 

Donna

Donna


Heidi is using a limited palette - white, yellow, blue, and red. The coloring is very dramatic, and the blocks look amazing! 

Heidi

Heidi

Heidi


Karen is using a softer palette. We're all learning lessons about color and value. How dark is too dark, how light is too light? A suggestion - if you're not sure, place the blocks on the wall and stand back about 10 feet. Can you see the definition of the block components? If yes, then you're good. If no, then the value/color should be changed. 


Karen



Karen



Karen


Kathi has her blocks up to date as well. I think everyone is up to date. The homework isn't huge each month, so it's not too big of a challenge to keep up. This is a bright, cheery color palette. 




Kathi

Kathi

Kathi

Kathi



Lucy also has some bright cherry colors in her quilt. 




Lucy

Margaret is using a mottled grey background for her blocks. The wings on her bee are a bit soft in value contrast, but photos sometimes lie!! She is running out of this background fabric, so now creativity will kick in. I think she already has Plan B in place. 


Margaret

Margaret



Margaret


The next set of blocks are Marilyn's. Marilyn is using a yellow fabric that I'm using in my quilt. I'm not sure I'm going to have enough fabric! I may need to make a visit to Marilyn's house. 


Marilyn

Marilyn

Marilyn


Rose is up to date with her blocks. Great job, Rose!!! It's such a good feeling to get the homework done and out of the way. Then we can focus on the next project! 

Rose

Rose

Rose






Sheila also has her blocks done. I think it's nice to work slowly on a project like this. Yes - you could rip through it fast, but what's the point? We should be enjoying our hobby! And yes - there is a small glitch in this photo - don't worry - it's already fixed. 


Sheila


Val has her blocks done as well. Val is the truest to the original quilt as far as fabrics and blocks go. 

Val

Val


Zildi used a great fabric for the background of the bee. The bee has a dark background in the pattern, and I don't like the dark background as it's the only one in the entire quilt. Perhaps we can chat more about that tomorrow. 


Zildi



I'll share a few more Bonnie and Camille pictures with you tomorrow, including what I've done with mine. 


It's so fun to see these quilts come together, and they'll be starting to sew them together this month!! The best part of the pandemic is that we're continuing the ongoing classes through the summer! But Long Time Gone will be finished by June, and a couple of other small projects of mine will not run over the summer, so that'll be good to have a bit more time. 

Don't forget that I'm writing for QUILTsocial this week. Read all about my experience with the Husqvarna Viking Designer Sapphire 85. Let's just say that the operator had a few challenges this week. Just goes to show that the learning never ends. 


On that note, there's a lot of stuff waiting to be done today, and I need to get myself started. Only one presentation this week, and it's today. Then the rest of the week is fairly open with only a couple of scheduled things. I hope to spend a lot of time at the sewing machine and, of course, the long arm. Besides my class stuff and my personal sewing, I now have two quilts that need to get done fairly quickly. The merry-go-round never stops! But that's OK. 


Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment