Saturday, January 28, 2012

Be careful what you BUY in the grocery store!!!!!

Ah - yesterday - a day just like any others. You don't know what the temperature is going to be and you never know what goofy experience is going to occur.

The day started off with a SNOW STORM - well technically not a storm, but it was snowing pretty heavily and the temperature was hovering around that freezing rain mark. But a quick call to Marian and yes she was still on for our road trip. I KNOW - how can one take a road trip when there are quilt blocks to be made, quilts to be quilted, e-mails to be sent - you know - the usual daily stuff.

BUT this trip was essential and I cannot tell you why until tomorrow. Please bear with me - it was a WORTHWHILE trip. I was so happy.

HOWEVER have you ever driven with Marian in a storm??????   OH MY GOD - we were barely out of the parking lot and I was ready to call roadside assistance and get rid of her!!!!!!   At least right up front she admitted that she is a nervous driver in those kind of conditions. "How come I am not driving in the middle lane???  There is less snow in that lane and if you are going to spin out - there is more road on both sides." Well it was hard to beat that logic so I moved to the middle lane - Carol would have been appalled at that move!!!!!   We ended up behind the salt truck and I asked "was I allowed to pass?"   I wasn't checking the rules of the road - I was checking with HER!!!!!!

Fortunately for us the roads and the weather improved CONSIDERABLY as we went further away from the city and my goodness, the sun came out later and it was a gorgeous day.


Of course when one goes to a city that you do not frequent - one must check out the quilt shops. So we stopped at the Red Red Bobbin.  This is a store that started out as a long arm service and they indeed have TWO machines in the store. The store is in their house - a GORGEOUS BIG OLD country house. Sorry - we did not get any pictures despite the fact that my camera was in my pocket. I should have asked - honestly Lucy (the Portuguese water dog) was hysterical as she SAT (lounged) in a fancy chair near the cutting table. An elegant lady to say the least. It was pretty funny. Anyway - they have a lot of Kaffe Fasset type fabrics and I wish I would have had my other Kaffe stuff with me so I could do some matching - which I probably do NOT need to match since I think I have loads. BUT - I couldn't help myself and picked up some fabric.


This quilt is made from a specific fabric. I just love the pattern, but every time I see the kit - it is sold out. So I just bought the fabric. This is a 2013 project!!!!!

And then I couldn't resist this. I mean is it NOT gorgeous or what!!!!!!    Got to find some more solids to go with the floral. I just love it.

Then Marian and I both bought a teeny tiny project that will take no time to make and I will show you tomorrow when I make it. It is pretty funny - you WILL want your own. I know you will. And NO - you cannot call the store and find out what we bought!!!!!   You will get a laugh over it for sure.


Back in the car and we had to stop at the grocery store to get some supplies for Marian's son Jeff. Actually we were supposed to JUST be dropping off some stuff that he requested from home - tools and such. But it seems that kids (especially those poor starving university students) always ask for food stuff when mom comes to visit. I CAN'T wait for that!!!!!  Oh yes - I know it will.

As we stood in the Express Lane (he didn't ask for much), Marian got to chatting with the lady in front of us who was buying a custom cake. Obviously for someone celebrating their 50th birthday because the cake consisted of cupcakes shaped into  the numbers 5 0. The entire thing was iced as one cake. Very neat. Well that lady paid for her purchase and now it was Marian's turn to pay for her goodies. Ooops - the lady before had left her card in the machine. Marian  (I could NOT remember what the lady looked like) runs towards the exit shouting CUPCAKE LADY!!!!!     It worked - she turned around and came back and got her card. Imagine the fun if the lady had purchased tampons or bathroom tissue. So just think about that next time you are at the store!!!!   People around you are remembering you on what you purchase!!!!!   Bottom line - DO NOT forget your card in the machine. It was good for a chuckle!!!!!!


We made it back safe and sound after a quick visit to Chapter's to pick up QuiltMania magazine (oh we so WANT the January issue, but it is not out yet). I'll show you why when I get my hands on a copy. And then I was home by 2  PM to sink my teeth into the huge task ahead of me - continuing to prep for the classes today.

I am happy to report that I got everything DONE - well everything that I wanted. Well not exactly - I did NOT finish the blocks for the exchange, but that is OK and I did not get the customer quilt done - that is bad, so I hope to work on it later today.

Just wait until you see these quilts come to life over the next year. If you did NOT get a chance to sign up - you will be sorry. They are all going to be gorgeous. Can you tell that I am excited???????


And my block for the exchange - I got the block done, but not the stitching on it. It is GORGEOUS - I am going to have to make one for myself. It is the cutest thing. But I can't show you until November when we do the reveal.


On that note - I am out of here - I am going to try and get a bit of stitching done before I load the SIX HUGE bags of stuff in the car for my class today. I told you I DID a TON of prep for these classes.


Have a great day!!!!!




Ciao!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Louise and Jim are members of the Brant Quilters Guild.
    The first thing I learned was that Jim always wins the 50/50 draw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebuttal:
    I am not afraid of driving in snow - I have driven in many a blizzard on highway 7 to Ottawa where all you can see are the tail lights of the car ahead of you! (of course, I have SNOW TIRES, which some people who shall remain nameless don't have...)
    What I don't like is FREEZING RAIN - remind me to show you one of the 8" screws that were in my leg to explain why ;-)

    ReplyDelete