Monday, January 23, 2012

My LAZY Sunday

I did something I haven`t done in a LONG time. I had a LAZY LAZY day!!!!!    Started the day off by reading, sleeping, reading, sleeping until I was finally awake and got up!!!!   I NEVER DO THAT, but it was fun. I did FINISH Janet Evanovich's latest book - Explosive Eighteen.

Then I did something else that I NEVER do - I BOUGHT A NOVEL!!!!    I bought "One for the Money" which is the first book in the Stephanie Plum series. Everyone else had the same thought as me - borrow it from the library (in advance of watching the movie being released on Jan 27) so that meant that ALL copies had long hold lists. I splurged and bought the book.





Then it was time to get back to work - ooops - not before we head downtown in search of those famous Belgian waffles.

DH had earmarked a visit to this restaurant ever since M and I came back from Belgium and raved about the waffles.

M outside Le Petit Dejeuner. Yes - we HAD TO WAIT outside and we weren't really dressed for that.  It was a tad cool, but not bad. There is a table right in the front and we thought that if we waved a $50 bill - they might vacate sooner. Well we also ended up with that table in the window and didn't have to pay for the privilege!!!!

The waffles - forgot to take a picture before we started to devour them. I found them slightly doughy and now I don't remember what the waffles were like in Belgium. We bought a waffle maker when we got home from that vacation, but haven't used it yet. Time to get it out and experiment. Anyone have a good recipe for waffles?????

As we walked back to the car - I noticed this balcony filled with flowers. Since it is January and too cold to grow real flowers outside - this balcony was filled with PLASTIC flowers. The next balcony to the right was also filled with plastic flowers. I guess whatever makes the people happy!!!!!

Now does anyone know what building this is??????


Why that would be the Trump Towers. Yes - we drove around a bit while we were down town. This is where Marian's son and his girlfriend work. They are in the restaurant/kitchen that is on the 30th floor. How cool is that!!!!!!    I doubt I will eat at this restaurant as it is a tad HIGH PRICED for me.


Now can anyone guess what that little blip is on the roof???????    Got to check with Stephen - I am sure he will know what that is. I think it is a little room with a 360 view of the city - but what is the room used for?????



And then since we were going by (well sort of) - we took a detour into Urban Outfitters so I could get more pictures of those afghans on the wall.


In addition to using the afghans as wall art. They used them on  boards as a back drop for the clothing. Definitely suited the style of the clothing in the store. 


Then we headed home and it was time to get to work!!!!!   And work I did. 


Completed all the applique on this wall hanging and got the TOP DONE!!!!!

That was a LOT of button hole stitching. And yes since it is a seasonal wall hanging - probably not necessary, but I can't STAND unfinished raw edge applique edges. Fiddly fiddly fiddly - but the end result was well worth it!!!!!!   Now to find something for the backing and make the binding - then a few days left to get this 12 for (20)12 project done. Got to figure out which project will be next. There is a list of 12, but not in any particular order!!!!!

Then I got this sample quilted (more on that in a minute) and  the binding is on and ready to stitch at guild meeting tonight. 

Got the binding on this mini quilt. Have to make the sleeve and then hand stitching and labels - let's not forget the labels. 

This was my BBB project for the week. When I opened up what was there - there was plenty of fabric for the backing, but NOT enough for the binding. Hmmmm - what to do. 

I searched through my blue fabric baskets and found a piece of the one of the other fabrics used in the table runner. Again - not enough to make the binding, but when I combined the TWO fabrics - now I had enough. So I alternated one strip of the dark with one strip of the light and made the binding. 

And here is the BBB project of the week done!!!!!!


I have a number of these small projects with the backing and the binding and really I should be able to quilt them in a couple of hours, so I haven't put them in the big pile. 


Should try to do one a week or something - just to get them done. 


But let's go back to the quilting of that red table runner. Here are a few tips that I used that will make life easier for you when you need to quilt something. 

So you have this top staring at you and you have an idea, but not sure how it will look when you quilt it. And will it actually work - can it be done continuously - does it flow - all those questions..........................

Lay a piece of clear cellophane over the quilt top (you could use plexi-glass  and then reuse it after you wipe it clean). Then take a Sharpie (or whatever will wipe off the plexi-glass) and draw the design you want. If it works - then hit the machine..................


Wait - first - draw a few registration marks if you need. I marked the diagonal for the corners  - not so much that I needed to, but if I didn't, I would forget and go over and then have to rip out. I also did not want the design to be covered by the binding, so I marked a half inch border at the edge of the table runner as a guide. I used the chalk-o-liner (MY favourite all time marking tool - WHITE ONLY PLEASE. I DO NOT trust the other colours)

Here is the stitching (I also stitched in the ditch between the blocks)

And the edge of the table runner


I still have the blocks to quilt - they are stitched in the ditch, but I want to do more with the entire center of the block. I was really trying to get that binding on so I could hand stitch it. Now I will go back and do the rest. I often do that, but make sure you stabilize those block centers somehow - like I said - I stitched them in the ditch.


So the day is going along just fine. Then it ended on a sad and bloody note - have a look...................


Not one, but TWO BLOODY murders in the park!!!!!   Seems rather messy for murder by gunshot!!!!!

Did I fool you?????   This is M's project for school. They had to make a murder scene. Hey those people are made of clay that we baked in the oven!!!!!    Then M painted them. Looks pretty cool!!!!!!   I think she did a great job. 



Look at these cool clips that Carol bought me. I LOVE THEM.


Page marker clips - shaped like a BICYCLE!!!!!


Speaking of bicycles - I did a BAD thing. I signed up for an annual membership with Ancestry.Com. Or whatever that address is. So there I am searching the family tree on Saturday night - it was my mom's birthday and just so happened to be my great grandmother's birthday (of course she is dead). And then I found the entry about their wedding and my great grandfather's occupation was something to do with bicycles - it said Bicycle $%&*((^&*   (can't read the last part). Boy - they needed better penmanship!!!!!!

Well - I'll tell you more about that later and I am WAY BEHIND in loading my pictures. I will try to catch up this week. Oh yeah - like that is going to happen!!!!!


Have to drive M and her murder scene to school.




Have a great day!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. You know, genealogy is a disease with no cure. There's always more to find and there's so much coming on line now. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete