Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is it time to PANIC yet???????

There are some times when I wonder what the HE** am I doing?????   Why do I get myself into these predicaments?

Well not exactly predicaments, but time crunches.


So this weekend is the start of the END!!!!!   I got suckered (NO - actually I was the one who brought it up) into teaching Dear Jane. Do you know what Dear Jane is????




This is an amazing quilt that was first made by Jane Stickle in 1863. It has become a "once in a lifetime" desire of many quilters to replicate this sampler quilt. The quilt is made up of 169 blocks and 56 pieced blocks in the border.


BUT if it were only Dear Jane - it might not be so bad - OH NO - let's dig deep for punishment. I also have a couple who are doing Farmer's Wife AND Hobo Quilts. Plus there is the usual $10 quilt and this year it is called Spring has Sprung.


Farmer's Wife

Hobo Quilt

Spring has sprung



On top of that - I had a class I had to prepare for yesterday (more on that in a minute) AND this weekend is the weekend we are doing our first exchange for the Around the Block challenge with my retreat group.

Oh yeah - it never rains but it pours!!!!!!!


So yes - I was feeling a TAD overwhelmed in getting all this stuff prepped for the class, making up distribution lists so we can keep track of each other and figuring out what blocks and how many to do each month.

I am in OK shape, but by no means am I even close to being finished for the weekend.


I did get a LUCKY break (well I think it is lucky), when I was preparing for my Wednesday class (Marti Michele) and the teacher material talked about using the templates for other projects. Guess what other project?????   FARMER'S WIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How cool is that - so we are going to do Marti Michele templates to cut (that is a HUGE time saver) - well I am going to use them  - who knows about the students.

I have to laugh when I hear other people talk about finishing one project before they touch the next. HAH!!!!   _ I worked on THREE projects this morning. Got the binding ready for the Christmas Charm (my 12 for (20)12 January project), got FOUR little blocks completed for the retreat exchange and almost finished assembling the top for the last senior lap quilt I had. And the day is only going to get more wild.

I know they say multi tasking does NOT work and while it may not, while I am sewing on one thing - I am mentally locating the materials that I need for the next project, what is needed for the classes on Saturday, what e-mails need to be sent - that sort of thing. I have bags set out for each class or guild meeting. When I think of something that should go in that bag - I put it in the bag. Oh yeah - this studio is a well oiled machine!!!!!


What is the Marti Michele class???? It is held on the 4th Wednesday at 10:30 at Ruti's Needlebed. It is going to happen every TWO months, so the next one is in March.

When I think back to what I have done that is Mari Michele - there is a LOT. I have made at least FOUR Queen sized quilts - another queen sized partially together and ONE MORE waiting to be sewn. Then there are at least 5 wall hangings that I can think of and probably more. My thought when I was first asked to do a quilt using these templates - wasn't GOOD!!!   After making that quilt -well you can see by what I have completed since that I am LIKING these templates.

This class I am teaching is all about taking the templates/rulers and showing you what all can be done with them. Many are multi purpose. Yesterday was no exception as we took the Setting Triangle ruler (did you know there are FOUR of them in total - but you only need one) and showed how to make setting triangles AND use it to make this table runner. It would also be good if you have a block that you want to make into a square in a square. All in all - it is a VERY VERSATILE tool - no math required and it does MORE THAN ONE THING which is great.


Marti Michele pattern

Now another good thing about this class - Marti has put together a series of patterns that are JAM PACKED with information - not only about the pattern in questions, but lots more besides. If you belong to this class - the patterns are $5.00. A great deal.

So if you have Marti Michelle templates and not sure what else you can do with them - this is the class for you. In the next class we are going to cover the tool (not sure which one that is yet) AND the tools required to make Storm at Sea.

It is a GREAT CLASS and you won't be sorry that you signed up. You will be SORRY that you missed it. I LEARNED several things from that pattern and that is hard to do.


On that note - I MUST get going with the day - more e-mails to send, things to check and then let's not forget all those blocks that have to be made.


Have a great day.




Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment