Thursday, May 28, 2015

The adventure begins..............


Are we there yet?????   I can't imagine how parents did long car trips with their kids, although dogs - well they are almost as bad!

A rogue photo - I went to the car wash the day before I left. Filled up with gas - washed the car. Why not!
The car was packed on Monday night ready for an early morning getaway.  I still had to put the bike rack on the car and wasn't that fun IN THE DARK!!!   But I managed to get the rack on, the bike on the rack, the last minute things in the car, walk the dogs and get them installed in the car and we left at 5:15 AM.  A mere 15 minutes late!

The girls ready for their trip!
My goal was to get past Toronto before rush hour.  Needless to say I breezed through the city and I never even saw rush hour although there are a LOT of cars on the 401 at 5:30 AM.

The dogs have never been on a long distance trip before and I was hoping that they would be fine.  I know - what an idiot I am!!!   After 45 minutes, Sparky finally decided it was OK to lay down.


 I think I was more freaked out than they were.  We stopped at one of the onRoutes in Ontario for a break

Stretch break
 Then a bit later we stopped again where they had a bite to eat - well Sparky did, but not Sammy.

Food break
 Thank goodness for cruise control.  I don't think I could have done that trip without it.  And I have to say that for the most part, people were VERY decent on the highway.  I did NOT see anyone taking any ridiculous chances, people stayed in the right hand lane and only went into the left lanen to pass. Seriously?????   What happened?   Why did everyone all of a sudden decide to OBEY the law????

The only thing - you had to be on your toes because several times, I was in the left lane getting ready to pass a transport truck. Then said truck swung in front of me (after signalling) so they could pass a car!   Happened two or three times  - needless to say I was on the lookout for that.  But they were obeying the law and technically they had time - perhaps I was in shock that people were obeying the law.


The other thing I noticed is how we zip past things.   For instance when you enter a new province. When I was on my bike trip - we stopped and took copious amounts of pictures at each of the signs upon entering a new province. Perhaps because it was such a big deal and the fact that we were crossing Canada on a bike.   In the car?????   Nope - just whiz past them.

Entering Quebec


OK - so I did snap those photos on the fly, but I just aimed the camera - I did not take my eyes off the road!
Entering New Brunwick
Notice how big and fancy the Quebec sign is compared to New Brunswick!

Entering PEI  (stopped to take this one)



I have pictures beside this PEI sign from the bike trip.  On my bike trip we entered the other provinces on different routes, but the signs are the same except for entering Quebec on the ferry near Ottawa.  There is a teeny tiny sign for Quebec.

I didn't get lost once. Although I was planning to take the bypass in Montreal. I saw the sign - it did NOT say bypass or whatever the equilvaent would be in French. It said Quebec, Sorel and Tracy and Highway 30.  I was afraid it would take me to the north shore so I stuck to 20. Hoping to switch to 40 at the airport and go through the north part of the city.  Alas - I got screwed up there as well - it wouldn't be the first time and next thing I know - I am on my way to the Pont Champlain.  No big deal - I know the road and there wasn't too much traffic, but the road conditions were a bit ROUGH!!!!


I tried not to stop too often, but I was worried about the dogs.  At soon as they would get up - I was wondering if they had to go potty????   I think in total we stopped about 6 times which isn't too bad. And I have to say that Ontario has it right. They have those onRoute rest stops with picnic areas - perfect for the dogs and then restaurant and gas all together. Quebec has picnic areas - make sure the dogs are on the leash - I got told off at the first one before I could find their leashes in the mess in the car. But gas and restaurants are in different areas and in New Brunswick - well - it is crazy!!!!   Not organized at all.   Yeah for Ontario on this one!!!!

At some point, I thought I had better book a room at the hotel in Edmunston. That was my destination for the first day, but I really didn't think I was going to make it that far. But when I realized I actually could make it - I called to book a room.  Good grief - I get some fellow with a VERY HEAVY accent.  He is checking for availability and next thing I knew - he was trying to find me a room for a week in Australia!!!!!   Ah - no - that would be wrong!!!!    CANADA!!!!!!    That's expedia for you!

I hung up and dialed again and got someone with a less heavy accent and he was able to book me a room.   The girls were very happy to arrive and we even found a Tim's near the hotel, but they were practically out of everything even though it was about 6:30 PM.  (Atlantic Time).   Oh well - back to the hotel for a well deserved sleep.


Sammy and Sparky chilling in the hotel. Their FIRST hotel night!!!!
 I put more towels on the sofa for Sammy and at one point in the night, I saw her completely stretched out!!!!  Sparky stayed on the floor.

I should have asked for a different room as they put me on the second floor which then became a challenge as I had to bring the dogs in and my bike and I was worried the dogs would bark if they were left in the room by themselves.  But nope - everything seemed to be just fine.  And minutes after we were in the room - it started to POUR!!!!    Next time - ask for the ground floor room with a patio door to the outside - would have been so much easier.


Sparky and Sammy having breakfast the next morning


It was very foggy when we left Edmunston.  I was a bit worried about that, but the roads were good, the traffic was light and we made good time.


The fog
and moments later no fog
Then fog and no fog. That went on for an hour or so.


Oh yes - I remember those hills from the bike trip. 
Not that particular road as we stayed on secondary highways, but there were a LOT of hills in New Brunswick.


And at last - there is the BRIDGE!!!!!   That was a very welcome sight!!!!


The bridge!!!!!
Crossing the bridge
 And now to find the house.  Thank goodness for Google Maps.  I pulled over to find out where to go and before long, I am passing this place which is not that far from the house.

Bargain FABRICS and they welcome QUILTERS!!!!!!
At last - there is the house. I will take more pictures of the road into the cottage and you will see why it is just now open!!!!!


The cottage -  a three bedroom cottage which is quite large inside. Two decks outside. Beautifulo spot

Getting some shut eye - they were exhausted
My favourite room in the house - the sun porch
The view from the sun porch

Sammy with her bear at bedtime!!!!

The girls chilling in the car


Let's just say that I arrived none too soon. If I had to stay in the car for any additional length of time - well I could be a singer and song writer.  I sang the blues, I sang some OLDIES  - I mean real oldies and I was GOOD at it!!!  Not really - I'm surprised the dogs didn't start howling!!!!!   But it passed the time. I did listen to an audio book which was fine. Helps with the focus all around.

But let's just say that I am glad that we have arrived!!!!!    We all survived the car trip - now let's hope we survive the wind. More on that tomorrow.

Have an awesome day!!!!!!   I have no idea what I am going to do today - perhaps I will read, perhaps I will sew. Perhaps I will nap all day or maybe go to the beach again!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!













3 comments:

  1. So glad to see you are blogging again. You are an adventurous lady!! Can't wait to see pics of your travels around PEI - after you have vegetated for a day or two, of course - enjoy peace, quiet and PEI.. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was at Thursday sewing at the church and we were All JUST a little worried about\
    you. Thank-you for posting to us that you arrived safely in PEI. Have a good holiday
    and still post (when you feel like it).....
    You do know you are in our thoughts. Oksana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oksana - all is good. Nice to know you are thinking of me!! I was thinking of you!!!!

      Delete