Saturday, January 19, 2019

Education Week - Day Five

We had another exciting day of education. Actually, it was only half a day as a number of us left right after lunch for the airport. 

We did another class in the morning and more chats. I can't say enough how beneficial this week has been for me. I feel like part of the team even though we all work independently. But the knowledge,  information, and contacts I gathered - well that's priceless. I'm also missing some tools - some very important tools. Different kinds of scissors from what I've been using to trim embroideries. Oh yes - I need a wee bit of a shopping expedition. 

But the amount of work that I now have to do is - well we won't go there and today is going to be a day of collecting my thoughts and a wee bit of organizing. 

Our flight wasn't until later in the day, but we got to the airport with some time to kill but that was OK. Three of us sat around and chatted for a while. You won't learn anything unless you ask questions. I have a lot of questions. 

I decided to bite the bullet right up front and check my luggage however I see that I still had a visitor in my bag.

You've been inspected

I have a feeling that it wasn't the scissors that they pulled that bag for. It was the immersion blender! I suppose in future, that I could take one of those shaker glasses and then eat the banana separately? I like my immersion blender. But I can live with them checking my luggage - a small price to pay for having that healthy breakfast every morning. Even with eating out every night  - I didn't gain a single ounce! 

I like to pack light and it killed me to pay for the luggage fee when I went with a very small suitcase which weighed 24 pounds. However when I start flying to do these events, my colleagues travel with two or three HUGE suitcases filled with samples. Up to 3 suitcases and up to 70 pounds each!!!!  Seriously? The weight limit is 50 pounds.

I do know that when I do a trunk show here that I like to have lots of stuff with me, but I couldn't handle three suitcases plus carryon. Just can't so I've got to find a way to double up samples and stuff. I think I'll settle for TWO 50 pound suitcases at the most. I must find my travel scale - I have one here somewhere.

I love flying into the city especially at night. We're in the flight path but far enough away that the noise isn't an issue. We flew right over our house last night. Then we circled around downtown and landed from east to west. Just a small thrill I get every time!

My neighborhood at night


I must say that we did NOT have any slowdowns in the Nashville airport and no issues in Canada. It took me mere minutes to get off the plane and outside to my ride. I didn't check the time, but it wasn't long - maybe 15 minutes which isn't bad considering I checked my luggage. Let's just say that I LOVE NEXUS. So worth the money. 

Out for dinner and then DH and I found ourselves at the grocery store minutes before it closed to get some groceries. I needed stuff for my breakfast and while he was going to wait until today to buy stuff for dinner, I convinced him to get it last night. Good grief. I think he likes grocery shopping - you could never get him in the store before. He must have an eye on the bakery staff or something. 

Speaking of the bakery - I was checking out the pasties. Thank goodness they have to put the calorie count on the items. That was an eye opener when I first saw this information. Check out these labels. 


180 calories

260 calories

510 calories

760 calories


WOW - doesn't that blow your socks off? I used to eat those brownies and sometimes I'd eat a complete one at one sitting. That's bad considering that my total calorie intake for the day is less than 2,000.  I just make life easy and don't eat any of it now. I do have some small dessert from time to time, but we always get the small item at about 150 calories or less. I don't miss it in the least. Again - it's all about making lifestyle choices. I'm fine without it and I just drink another glass of water. It really is true - having a glass of water will take the cravings away. You just have to get used to drinking that much and I find that if I drink 8 glasses a day, my bladder is happier than if I drink less. Now, why is that?

I had a quick peek into the studio this morning. Oh boy - it looks like a whirlwind hit it. There's stuff everywhere. We're supposed to have a Sit n Sew tomorrow, but with the impending snow apocalypse (according to the Weather Channel), it's up in the air. I'd better clear a few spots for the die-hards. 

The girls were happy to see me last night but they don't go too crazy. 

Now to go and start sorting out my notes and I've got a lot of e-mail to catch up on. And I have to walk the girls and it's COLD outside. 

Before I go, I have a couple of quilt links to share with you. If you or someone in your house is crazy about Harry Potter, there's a couple of sew-along projects this year. Here's a link to Sew Fresh Quilts. The blocks are pretty cute. There are two different designers doing a Harry Potter theme and they'll be linked to each other as the blocks are released. I'm tempted, but I know that I'm not going to have time to keep up. 

Here's another link. This is a block party hosted by the Canadian Quilter's Association. Each week a new block will be released. I haven't read all the information but you can find it on the link. I hope to participate in this one. How hard can it be to make ONE six-inch block per week?

One more link - if you're into challenges, there's a MAP QUILT challenge hosted by Quilts at the Creek. Check out a "map quilt" designed and made by Jacquie Gering. I hope to participate in this. I'm already collecting stuff to make the quilt. Now to figure out how to make it work. 

There are so many quilt-along projects that one can not possibly participate in them all and they become your entire world and I don't have time for that, nor do I want to spend all my time doing something that was designed/organized by someone else. So I'll going to be very picky about I spend my time doing. 

Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment