Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Hand applique


Several years ago, I decided that I needed to set goals to get some of these larger projects done. I set some goals in 2017 and I got quite a few done. I set more goals in 2018 (and didn't wipe out the goals from 2017). I didn't make a lot of progress, but I did get some projects finished. I now have more goals for 2019. It's time to actually get off my butt and get to work on these. Wouldn't it be nice to finish the year with ALL the goals from those three years done? It's doable but only I can make it happen.

I'm now devoting my Monday sewing day to working on these projects. It's one thing to set the goal, but if you don't' schedule the time, nothing will get done.

I have my UFO club this Sunday and someone asked if I was going to throw money into the kitty and play along with the group. I hadn't thought about that, but why not! So my project is picked, I need to ante up $100 (no need to pay myself for my time but I could!). I debated over the project to pick, but I've got a good one and it'll help with my sample making. Of course - all will be shared next week.

It's going to be a tough class and we WILL get those projects done. If you're interested in some tough love, let me know, there are two spots left.

I'm currently working on a project on Monday that's hand applique. Oh yes - when I pick a UFO, I pick good ones. It's called Gingerbread Joy by Susan H. Garman. You can read my story about this quilt at this blog post.

What did I get done this past Monday? I'm so excited - I'm beside myself. Check it out.

For some reason, I picked Block 12  - why work in order when you can work in reverse order?

I cut the pieces for the large and small pieced blocks.

Pieces cut for the large and small pieced blocks
Since I'm not taking a sewing machine to Monday, I put these pieces beside my sewing machine to use as enders and leaders. There are a lot of half square triangles to make. I'm happy to report that all the triangles are made for the large block - they just need to be trimmed. And I've started on the small ones. I have another Sit n Sew tomorrow, so I hope to work on those blocks.

Then it was on to prepping for the prep for Block 12. I had to get stuff together at home so I could finish the prep work on Monday. I have no excuse to stop. All the fabrics are with the block - I didn't' like the yellow that came with the kit. The circles are made (finished those this past Monday). The four green stems are ready to glue in place.




Applique pieces almost ready to glue in place

I need to make some bias, so when I got home, I dug out the bias tape makers and cut the bias strips. I'll make the bias on Monday. I'm thrilled with the progress of this block.


Applique tools ready
So Block 12 is very much underway including the two pieced blocks and the applique blocks.

I haven't touched the kits for Blocks 10 and 11. But all in good time. I still have the rest of the year. 

Kits for Block 10 and 11
But that's not all I did on Monday. Here's my hand stitching bag. Of course - it's orange. Do you know how many people comment on my orange accessories including the hairband with the orange flowers? Tons!!!!


Hand stitching bag
 What's in the bag?? Two spools of thread, my sewing kit including thimbles and scissors. The block to stitch and the pattern.

Hand stitching supplies
What was I stitching? Why that would be Block Nine!! The partially eaten gingerbread boy! It was mostly glued down, but I hadn't started the stitching. Now it's mostly done - boy whoever glued those bits down was pretty glue happy. That white fabric which is already stiff was pretty stiff in places from gobs of glue. I had to dig out my thimble in order to stitch through it.


Block 9 of Gingerbread Joy
I haven't lost my touch for hand applique. Notice how smooth that curve is in his arm, but then look at the messy circles!!  Whatever was I thinking? No need to change them - it's good to see how far you've come. Those circles are just messy icing bits!

Some details are good, some not so good!
 Let's put it this way - if I were to decorate a gingerbread boy with real icing, it would look way worse than this. I'm happy and that's all that counts.


Oh - here's my other supply bag of applique tools. This is the applique prep bag. Starch, pointy tools, scissors, etc. It really makes a difference to have all those tools in one place. No need to search anywhere for something.


Applique tool bag

I had a 2-hour dentist appointment yesterday. I forgot that I booked a cleaning and two cavities in the same visit. As the hygienist said - it seemed like a good idea at the time. Things are good, my dentist has a very tender touch and I'm fine today. Just need to floss more.

I got the next quilt loaded and I made great leaps and bounds in the class prep for the weekend. It's going to be tight - very tight to get it all done. I will, but somehow, I didn't plan this week very well. Well - it was being away last week that put me in the squeeze for this week. I must look further ahead for planning.

Got to run - got another crazy day scheduled and the weather outside, while warm - heck - it's positively balmy compared to what we've had, it's messy. Time for those rubber boots (which I wear all the time and LOVE LOVE LOVE).

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!


9 comments:

  1. I love to get up in the morning and read what you've posted; it helps keep me motivated to work on my own projects. (Currently working on making Barbie gowns to donate. 50 done out of the 100 I want to do.) Thank you for the push in the right direction! Wandering off to sew...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torry -- so glad I can inspire others. I appreciate your feedback. Now I'm intrigued - Barbie gowns? For Barbies or young girls??? Have a great day! ET

      Delete
    2. For the dolls. I came up with a very fast and easy way to do them and so, after a few years off while I battled triple negative breast cancer, I'm back to making them. I already had hundreds cut out, so that was one step done.

      Delete
    3. Torry -- WOW. Sounds very scary - triple negative breast cancer. Glad you're OK now and on your way to completing the Barbie gowns. Have fun!!!

      Delete
  2. I now use my lunch break to head to the sewing machine. I've got kits (I made these from my fabric and patterns I've had but never made) all lined up and ready to go. I don't have to think about it, I just sew away. When I have more time I use that for making backings, quilting a quilt or putting more quilts together. Reading your blog has inspired me to have systems in my quilt room. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith -- so glad to hear you're spending time at the sewing machine. I can't wait to hear how you coordinate yourself in your new home in 106 days???? Have a great day!!!! ET

      Delete
    2. It will be interesting carving out a sewing space in our RV. I've decided on which machine I'll take with me, but that's it for now. I sure have a lot of notions, rulers, thread and fabric. I could probably fill the RV just with quilt stuff, lol! I'll let you know :)

      Delete
    3. Judith Cane, I have a friend who bought an RV to have a place to sew when she woke up in the middle of the night and could not get back to sleep. It is seriously packed to the gills! But she now has a guest room in the house again. Makes me smile when I go over to her place.

      Delete