Sunday, January 27, 2019

This is how I roll.................

Oh dear - the day I have to downsize, I'm going to be in a lot of trouble. Of course, I might not care at that point.

I'm trying very hard to keep the studio in reasonable shape. That way, it's less stuff to move when we have Sit n Sew days. Those sessions are filled to capacity and beyond so we need every bit of space so we can move.

BUT when I'm alone - I spread out like crazy! My morning class got canceled (not because of lack of attendance - oh no!). It was due to icy conditions over which I had no control. Again, if you were in that class, I'm sending a note out later today with some plans.

Instead, I stayed in and worked on samples. I'll show you the blocks tomorrow - I completely forgot to take pictures. But they are so super cute!!! And this is what the place looked like.

There were drawers hanging open when I had dug out supplies (bobbins and needles) for the embroidery machine.

Drawers hanging open
 Fabrics for the project were strewn across one set of work tables.


Fabrics for the project
The rest of the project and the sewing machine were all over the other set of work tables. 

The other set of work tables
 However, the ironing board and the cutting mat were pretty clear.


Cutting mat is pretty clear

I guess I'm just going to have to learn to be more efficient with my space, but hey - if you have the room - I'll spread out. Everything is all neat and tidy again as we have our UFO day later this afternoon. Eight brave souls plus myself are going to subject ourselves to a strict timeline to get a UFO done.

I think it's going to be a lot of fun. While I have my Task Master that keeps me in control - most of the time, it'll be fun to work on these projects "together" so to speak. Not only do I expect us to keep each other on track, but I suspect, we're going to learn a whole lot more about finishing up UFOs.

I finished this customer quilt and it's ready for pickup today.


Customer quilt - DONE
Meloney commented on the blog the other day about the fabric and how the quality is getting worse. Fraying fabric, no longer 45 inches wide, thin, and a whole lot of other sins. After reading Meloney's comment, I had a thought. If we want to get our hands on GOOD fabric, I know exactly where we can get it. Where???   Guess what? We have TONS (and yes - I mean that in the context of actual weight, as well as in the quantity as in we have LOTS) - we have TONS of fabric in our stashes!! I'm sure that many of us have a pretty healthy stash. Mine was all purchased in the last twenty years and all of it is great quality. I'm trying very hard to shop my stash FIRST. Then I buy what I don't have. Like I had to buy some fabrics the other day - I don't have a lot of summery type prints - white backgrounds with checks/plaids and now I have a small supply to work on this project. I did feel very guilty to buy it and I'm OK with that. I should feel guilty. Not because I can't afford it, but because I have so much already. I have more to say on that another day - so don't tell me that I shouldn't feel guilty.

This is what I'm going to have to be buying this year. It seems that I'm ripping through my consumables. You know - needles and thread. Two more spools bite the dust and a package of needles.


Two empty spools and an empty pack of needles


I also realized that I had NO machine embroidery needles. How the heck did that happen? Now I have some.

I've got an interesting article to share today. Did you know that there are 21 quilt museums in the United States? 21?? I only know of two - the International Quilt Study Center and Museum in Nebraska and the National Quilt Museum in Paducah. I guess we need to go on a road trip to hit them all. Now, where do I find those other museums???  Here's a link to an article about the latest quilt museum. It's in Hawaii. Now I could be up for a road trip there.

Here's a link to a few more quilt museums. I'm sure that in our Quilter's Year Book of activities that there must be a "task" to visit a quilt museum. Well, if not - then we must add one!! Road trip anyone????

Quilter's Year Book


On that note, I'm out of here. I've got two classes today and I see we have a wee bit more snow, so I must get that drive shoveled.

Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!

1 comment:

  1. I had to giggle about taking a "road" trip to Hawaii!
    I also have been sewing down my thread and needles. I try not to buy too much thread at a time as it will go bad if it is too old.

    This morning I finished my 75th Barbie gown for the donation I want to make of 100. I have done this several other times, but took a few years off as I battled breast cancer. Now, as I'm trying to regain my strength, I am trying to get more things done. You are an inspiration to me as you get more done in a day than I do in a week!

    ReplyDelete