Sunday, July 17, 2022

The finish line is in sight!

 

As I mentioned, I'm away and technically working, but not at work! What a LONG day we had! However, I learned a TON of stuff and passed on a lot of information, so that was great. 

Why am I away from home and working but not really working? I had the opportunity to play with one of our sit-down quilting machines. Something I've never really had the chance to do. Oh yes -- I've had the opportunity to take a few test spins from time to time, during a show, when there are a ton of people around, and you don't really have time to sit and read the manual. 

I'm far from an expert, but I feel confident that I know what I'm doing and how it works. The machine has a stitch regulator on it, and for anyone who says -- I want one because it'll make my stitching better, you need to know that you have to invest some serious time into learning how to quilt with a stitch regulator. I've been practicing, and I don't want to spoil all the good stuff since it'll be on a blog post fairly soon. Then you'll get to read all about it. 

Needless to say -- I've been having fun! 

Michelle and I have been working on a project, so she's upstairs with the embroidery machines, and I'm downstairs with the quilting machine. 

I've taken many steps back and forth, plus we took two walks yesterday. On our first walk, we went to the small village near where she lives, and as I approached, I wondered if there was a geocache nearby. And YES, there was. It was an easy one to find, so that was a bonus. I still need 235 points in 15 days, so I'll be hustling when I get home. There aren't many bonus points this month, so at 15 points per find, I have to find 16 to make up the deficit. If we have time, we'll look for one more today. 


A geocache


Not only do I still have more quilting to do today, but I have three presentations. It just couldn't be helped as I shuffled them around a bit already, and I wasn't going to do that again. It's too much confusion for the group and me! I MUST make a mental note going forward that there are NO classes in the summer months of July and August. Everyone is traveling, or they are in the garden or wherever and it's just too hard. 

For the most part, I did well at keeping up with most of the quilts for 2022. But I'm a bit behind on my Green Tea quilt, and let's just leave it at that! Some other quilts need the borders added or the backing and the binding, and I think only one of them - Wanderers Wife, is completely finished with backing and binding. 

That's something to work on in the next couple of weeks, but I'm also on the road next weekend, just for a one-day event. 

If anyone is interested in attending a lecture/demo on Christmas in July, check out Hamilton Sewing, as they are hosting me on Saturday for two sessions. I didn't see the event on their webpage, but you can call for details. 

On that note, I see a whole pile of e-mails came in with pictures for the presentations which start at 9 AM, and we hope to walk before the class. I have to say that it's great to be somewhere and have a walking buddy who keeps pace with you! Never mind the pace; just having a walking buddy is great! 

Speaking of the walks, this is what is left on the Pacific Crest Trail -- my current virtual challenge, and I WILL finish today. This is only the third virtual challenge I've done in three years, and the other two were also very long -- Route 66 from Chicago to the Santa Monica Pier in California. And the Appalachian Trail, which went from Georgia to Maine. I won't be starting a new one for a few months as I have to make up some KMs on my bike with my year-long goal, where I am far behind. 




It's another one of those insane switchbacks. I have to walk 2.5 KM to the left, cross the river, and then back again to finish in Manning Park in BC. YAHOO!!!!! I can't believe I finished it with 40 days to spare. 




Well, I must go and get those UFO pictures loaded into the presentation, then get in the walk and a shower, and I'll be good to go for the day. 


We still have a ton of work to accomplish today, and just when we think we're on top of it, another idea comes. STOP with the ideas! But things are getting accomplished, so it's been a worthwhile trip!

I hope to be on a plane early tomorrow morning, hopefully in time to host Monday Sewing. But if I'm not, it goes on by itself (the beauty of Zoom!). 


Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment