Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Do NOT read e-mail BEFORE you go to bed!!!!

Yesterday was the same crazy day that all days are. I taught a class (Miranda Bag) - it was part one and they all got homework and in two weeks - hopefully we will be putting the bags together. Let's just say that it is different to teach sewers versus quilters. Especially when it comes to cutting.

Then back home to finish up a customer quilt.

Another quilt DONE!!!!!


Drop M off at her drawing class and then I bundle myself off to a small quilting group that meets once a month. Even had to buy dinner on the way and eat it while we chatted. Then back in the car - pick up M from her class and arrive home.

Ah - things are calm - things are quiet. I have NO appointments for the next day (today), however I have LOTS to do.

Then I read e-mail and BANG - my whole day goes to he##. The editor of the magazine wants a picture of a project that I am working on which is supposed to be done by the end of March. You know me - I have started, but nothing is sewn together. NOPE - the editor wants a picture of part of the project as a preview. CRAP - so guess what that means - I have to try to put together part of the project which I do NOT want to do. But I will get a small portion together and pray that I don't have to rip any of it out. You will see what I mean when I get the project completed.


I get asked often - How do you twirl the seams on the back to reduce the bulk???   Here is a tutorial for you. Hopefully that will make it easier to understand.

One of the first things - I cannot stress enough - find your 1/4" scant seam allowance. Keep the seam allowance consistent AND watch your stitch length - don't make it too big. Also NO need to reverse at the beginning and end of each seam. OK - let's look at how to twirl the seams.


The arrow is pointing to the vertical seam allowance that is ABOVE the horizontal seam allowance. 

Take your seam ripper (a GOOD seam ripper) and just pull out the stitches on BOTH sides of that small part. No need to cut that loose thread off. 
See the stitches pulled out (sorry - had to find a different block  - the original one did not focus properly)


Then split the seam allowance - the right one goes in the opposite direction of the left one

If you make four patches and twirl the seam and keep consistent with your pressing,

You can do entire quilts like this


The safari quilt to date


I am making great progress on the safari quilt. I looked at the list of the projects for 12 for (20)12. OH MY GO - they all seem HUGE.


Anyway - I had best go because not only do I have to come up with some part of a quilt for the photograph, but I have to prepare for my classes on Saturday. And stay tuned because I have a GREAT tutorial for you on Y seams. Because YES - I finished yet another block for Elm Creek.

This block has TWELVE Y seams in it - yet it measures EXACTLY 6 1/2"



Have a great day!!!!!  


Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment