Friday, February 10, 2012

PRE-EMPTED by a book!!!!

I couldn't help myself. I was reading a novel and then all of a sudden, I could NOT put the book down. So instead of checking e-mail, sewing or doing anything else that was really really important - I read my book. The worst part - when I finished that book - I started ANOTHER novel and it was a page turner as well. That makes TEN novels so far this year!!!  OK - so you want to know what I was reading??????   Neither would EVER appear on Oprah's list -


Part of a series I started to read a LONG time ago. I don't really like the main character anymore and not sure I am into this style of book either. But it was her latest and I read it only because I have invested time into the character. Will I read the next one???????   Not sure. 

A PAGE TURNER. I have read his other books - he has written books with James Patterson and it is along that style.


Note to self - NO MORE NOVELS for a while!!!!!!!  I am now reading TWO books - one is an audio-book called 10-10-10 by Suzy Welch.




Interesting concept on making decisions - basically when you have to make a decision - ask yourself - what will happen (how will I feel) in 10 minutes, 10 months and 10 years. The book is 5 CDs and just seems to go over the same thing. Well - the author shares stories about where people have applied the 10-10-10 in different situations. Not bad to listen to while stitching.

The other book is Not Buying It by Judith Levine




I showed you the cover a while back and AT LAST getting down to reading it. Alas - too late to instill this kind of behaviour for 2012 because one CANNOT start that kind of program mid-year!!!   I mean really!!!!    OK - so when I first saw the title - I am thinking - not buying anything excess - NO - the author and her partner are NOT buying anything that is NOT necessary - no movies, no restaurants, no coffees, NOTHING. Yet - and I hope they clear this up - they decide to do a renovation on their house because it isn't big enough. That part is still boggling my mind. No to a coffee, but yes to a renovation because they can't throw stuff out??????    Well I guess I need to read the entire book to see what happens.

And while I am reading this book, I am DYING to order a FQ bundle of SPICE coloured flannels. Oh - to hell with it - I am ordering the fabric today.



Yes - even though I have had my nose in a book (that obsessive behaviour - it just hits me in everything I do), I still had work to do. I think I have now satisfied all the editors for the two articles. Had to send pictures, look up names of participants, captions and clear up a few details. Time to think about the next one which is about borders - let's just say that getting pictures will NOT be a problem.

One thing I have noticed lately - I DO NOT or TRY NOT to spend a lot of time surfing the internet, but I think it is necessary in order to keep up to date in the world and certainly in the quilting field. But honestly - the amount of giveaways is CRAZY. I mean you could spend your entire day EVERY DAY - signing up for giveaways. Send in a picture, make a quilt, tell a story, write a comment - the list goes on and on and from one blog - you go to another. You get a free pattern here and a free pattern there. I apologize to all my readers - I don't have giveaways - only entertainment and hopefully advice. I do want to thank everyone who reads this blog - hopefully you are getting enough to make it worth while to come back!!!!


Something really funny happened last night. Sooooooooooooooooooo - my best friend, internet surfer extraordinaire and collector of information on the internet and through quilt teachers  (I mean - why do I have to do that stuff when she does it for me!!!!   Anyway - she learned recently from a class with Sandra Leichner that there are these GREAT needles to use for applique. Clover - Black Gold Needles - Applique/Sharps Number 12. Excellent - if they are that good - I need to try them. The Hobby Horse did not have them in stock, so we got them to bring them in. I was doing some applique last night and decided that I NEED to try these needles. YES - they are GOOD. Why?????    Well - first off they are TINY - not that long and the eye is TINY, but the silk thread went through no problem. They seem to have a "bite" to them. They slice through the fabric nicely, but not so much that you are loosing them. Hard to explain that, but it must be the black plating on them. I am happy with them.

Wait - there is more to this story. The piece I was appliqueing is tiny and I decided that instead of gluing it or using GIANT pins, I would use applique pins - those tiny pins. Hmmmmm - where are they????   Well I have a sewing box that I used to use for applique and I thought - that is where those pins are. Off to get the sewing box.

Here is the sewing box

Yes - there are the pins

NO WAY - there is a package of the needles that Marian talked about. I have had them for YEARS. I have not used this sewing box in a LONG LONG LONG time. The needles were not even open. 



What a hoot!!!!!!     Oh well - now that the sewing box is out, I might use it to put my embroidery and applique projects in when I travel. It is handy (a bit big), but then I could put all the stuff I need in it. Well - I'll test it and see how it goes. But I do like the needles.

Sorry - can't show you the applique.

Here is something else to contemplate - at what point do you put gas in your car?????    When it hits the 3/4 empty????   Or when you have been driving around with the warning light on for a couple of days????   Yesterday as I was coming home from the gym - the light came on. OK - I can hit the grocery store and then the gas station and then home. Got groceries and just as I was checking out - guess who called. Yep - that would be Marian. I called her when I got back in the car and YES - I forgot about the gas station.    This morning M wanted a ride to school - it was the boyfriend's birthday and she had freshly baked cookies (well - she did part of the work - I did the rest) and the present and a whole bunch of other stuff - so yes I drove her. Then I thought - I had better put gas in the car - so now I am standing at the gas station in a bright red sweatshirt and my green PJ pants with sewing machines all over. The lady who was in front of me who was nicely dressed in BORING BLACK glanced over several times - probably just checking out who would be wearing that outfit in PUBLIC.  But I blame this on Marian since she distracted me from getting gas the previous day - never might that the price went up TWO CENTS overnight as well!!!!   I should charge her the difference.


Well - I must get on with my day - there is lots to do. It is NOT sunny today so I won't be tempted to sit in the living room and read.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Always love reading your posts...they're always so entertaining. I have to agree with you on the Diane Mott Davidson books. They just aren't what they used to be. I usually fill my car up when it gets just under the half mark. Usually I fill up just after the price jumps up or just before it drops...really have to work on that timing thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read all of Diane Mott Davidson's books so will probably give this one a try too.
    I just found out about an app for smartphones called Fabricstash.
    You can take a picture of fabric and enter info about the fabric. Didn't know if you had heard about it!

    Mary V

    ReplyDelete