Tuesday, September 17, 2013

An experiment in cooking


I think I have mentioned that M has decided to give up junk food and become a vegetarian. Hmmmm - a vegan no less. Yep - from one extreme to the other. Well - that is OK by me, but I really hate being in the kitchen so having to make two meals instead of just one - well I told her that she can make her own meals.

BUT in an endeavour to find something for our family to do together, I thought we could each make a different dish and then have that on Sunday evening. The idea was to cook together in the kitchen (yes - it is big enough for three). It didn't quite happen that way, but everyone made a good effort to make dinner.

(And my DH was trying to convince me that he and I could play golf together. WHAT?????   - I don't think so - we tried MANY years ago and all I heard was "keep your eye on the ball", "you have to hold the club like this" - the ENTIRE time we played. NOPE - not going to happen!!!!!!!!!!!)  I think the cooking idea is MUCH better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I decided to make soup!  But knowing that I was going to be busy on Sunday morning (at the Tour du Mississauga), I cut up and baked my vegetables for the soup on Saturday night.

Vegetables ready for the oven

This is the soup AFTER the veggies were pureed. Now it is very thick and could have been strained, but you know what - it was VERY tasty and everyone liked it!!!!!   

M slide in at the last minute and made grilled zucchini, although we all agreed that she did NOT need to put paprika AND cayenne pepper on them. 

Our two appetizers!!!


DH - made a curry although he cheated since he made it from a box!!!   And because he was playing golf on Sunday, he made all of his dinner the night before and then (of course) running around when all of our stuff was done to cook the rice!!!!!  

So - our first attempt at a FAMILY cooked dinner was not bad - we still have a bit of work to do!!!!  The big thing is to get the menu chosen and then get recipes. I had better start scouring the internet for another vegan dish - well at least vegetarian - we have some liberty!!!!


Went to Monday Motivators yesterday. Had a great time chatting and catching up on all the news of the summer. It was fun to be back and I got another binding DONE!!!!!    There are still a few bindings in the basket and I see there are some labels to sew on as well. The good news - that basket is getting smaller and smaller - well not the basket - but the pile in the basket. Then I will start going around to find quilts that are missing labels and get everything labelled. A bit at a time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT I see that I have some retraining to do. As I was leaving Monday Motivators and taking the garbage with me (that is part of the deal with our venue in case you are wondering) - guess what I found in the garbage??????   OH yes - a HUGE stack of those little cut offs that are PERFECT for half square triangles!!!!!!!!!!!!   Oh dear - they (I won't mention any names - right Margo???) didn't even ask me if I wanted them. SO - shameless me - I picked them out of the garbage. HEY - they were light neutrals which is PERFECT!!!!!


Little bits!!!!!!!!


Spoke at the Etobicoke Quilter`s Guild last night. Oh what fun - BUT the show n tell was AMAZING!!!!!!  Those ladies have been VERY BUSY over the summer. Very inspiring!!!!!

On that note - I am off to teach a class this morning so I had better get the rest of my stuff together.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Well, I did think of asking if you wanted those little bits, then thought nah. I think you had more fun picking them out of the garbage! And, I think you did and you had something to write about today!
    <3Margo

    ReplyDelete