Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Colour PURPLE


I have to say that I LOVE having M in college!!!   First - she only has ONE early class (8 AM) and I did NOT have to get her up this morning. She was awake and getting ready when I went upstairs to get her up!!!!   OH - I love my new kid!!!!!   And despite the extra cost - it is nice for her to have her own wheels. No more nagging me to take her here and there. I almost feel like I am NOT needed!!!!!!  Well - more time for sewing or cycling!!!!!!!!


As you know - I have a HARD time finishing things and I should NEVER start something before I finish the previous item. As a result, I finished the purple embroidery block quilt, but did NOT finish the star one........ yet!

This is how it looked when I started in the morning

I inserted a purple floral in those two small blocks in the center row. Of course - I cut them the WRONG size (too short) and had to add another strip to them!!!!   Once it is quilted - NO ONE will know that, but I am out of practice!!!!!   I found this purple in my stash for the border, but felt it was too PURPLE!!!!  


Besides I had a few errands to run and I wanted to get out of the house - so a trip to Ruti's was in order!!!!!

I found this purple and thought it went quite nicely. Such good laughs I have with Diane, Susannah and Ruthi - oh yes - I go mostly for that - even if I don't need fabric!!!!!  


My new border fabric. Diane "generously" offered to figure out how much I needed (it was one of those "you had to be there moments", but a quick mental calculation and I thought 1 1/2 meters would be plenty for the border and binding.   And I found something in the $5 meter stuff for the backing and got 3 meters of that. Again - a wild calculation on my part. 


Then I got home and had to decide how to use this print. Do I use it horizontally or vertically?????   AH crap - I guess I had better use it as a strip. It will look better so...............


I had to fussy cut it apart until I had FOUR strips of just the part on the left. Then I decided it would look way better if I mitered the corners. OH YES - I never do anything simple!!!!!!   That meant I had to fussy cut that strip again and cut off the fancy part which I will save for the binding. 

Here are the fussy cut strips for the binding!!!!!

BUT WAIT A MINUTE - every second strip was different. Look close!!!!!!    Lucky for me (because I bought 1 1/2 meters) - I just had to cut four strips for the borders and three for the bindings and I ended up with almost half to put in my stash!!!!    But by buying the 1 1/2 meters - I didn't have to piece anything so that was great!!!!!

The finished quilt top. And yes - those miters went in like no tomorrow. I am very happy that I have learned this great method - it is easy and I didn't have to rip anything out!!!!!!

Had to trim the strips to 2 1/2" for the binding

And now I get to choose - side one

Or side two for the binding???????????   Of course when it gets folded - it won't have the same look, but I think it will be fine for binding. 


Then to make the back. OH MY - because the borders were a bit narrower than I originally planned - the quilt fit on the width of the fabric that I had purchased!!!!!!!!!!!    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!   I think the quilt is about 42 inch wide.


So I just serged my extra strips to the sides of the backing and it is ready to load on the machine!!!!!!!!!!   And I have enough fabric for the backing of another small quilt.


Another quilt ready for quilting!!!!!!!!!!!!



And I have a couple of weeks to get it quilted so that is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I know you are wondering about those enders and leaders - those little orange and green triangles????/  Well I was working on them yesterday. The pieces are all joined together. Oh yes - I thought should I start something new or just try to get rid of them. I loaded up EQ7 and came up with a plan and now I am sewing them together. I didn't take pictures, but will later today cause YEP - I have another day just to sew!!!!!


Went to spin class last night. Oh boy - Joseph is my all time favourite spin instructor. He is pretty funny, but very good and as one lady said - you want to PUSH yourself even harder than normal when in his class. Not sure why that is. But it was a hill climbing day and I felt I was on the Cabot Trail again!!!!!


I must try to finish my book soon because the darn thing is keeping me awake. I want to know how it ends??????    DAMN that Helen M for introducing me to this author!!!!!    Reginald Hill - a British author. At first it was hard to follow along - some of the language and sayings - I have no clue, but now I am in the swing of it. Anyway - an interesting read and  a nice break from the usual!!!!!


On that note - I have LOADS of work to do!!!!!!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment