Saturday, September 7, 2013

Technology - Friend or Foe???


Before I left, I knew that my computer was not communicating with the printer. For some reason, it goes offline and there is NO WAY that I can put it back online. This has happened before and I had to have my friends in India fix it. Then when I did get home, I accidentally installed ANOTHER of those darn toolbars at the top of Chrome so I couldn't see the tops of some pages - like BLOGGER so I could not sign in to blog. And pop ups - every time I clicked on a page - I would get this survey thing and many other pieces of digital crud. Very annoying.

I knew that I had to call India, but I didn't want to because it was going to take HOURS for them to fix the issues. Oh yes - the weird thing about the printer - the scanner would work, but no printing?????  Who knows what all this stuff is about!

I broke down and called them a couple of days ago. Printer problem fixed quickly - they needed to install another port? OK - but WHY does this keep happening??????   And why does it happen to me?????   The toolbar thing - easy (even M told me what to do, but I couldn't find the button - but now I know where it is for next time - actually there are two places to fix that and I looked in only one, but I know the other way to fix it).

When it came to the popups - well, I have no security on my computer. I know - so I ended up buying security software and they installed it. But in installing it, they came across another problem that they couldn't fix right away so I need another call!!!!!

HOWEVER - technology also works in AMAZING ways. You know I am a BIG user of the library. I am too cheap to buy novels when I can get them from the library for free and even though I have to wait for some titles - that is no big deal.  I am also a BIG lover of magazines. But there is a limit to how many you can buy. I also know that you can buy digital copies of magazines which I have experimented with, but don't really buy them. The library has tons of magazines and you can sign them out, but you never get the latest issue until the next month - well you can't sign it out. NOW - the library has some of their subscriptions in digital format. YES - you can just open up an account and download the digital magazine and it is YOURS!!!!!    Most of the titles are ones that I am not that interested in, but they would be fun to just browse through when you have a moment. And the best part - there is NO PAPER to deal with.

I downloaded one yesterday and it was easy!!!!!   Now to convince my family that they can get some of their favourite magazines for free and not have to subscribe to them. I wonder what kind of financial deal the library has to provide this service??????   Almost seems too good to be true. The only downer - NO quilting magazines. Hmmm - maybe we just need to ask?????

This morning I went to take a picture of something and WHAT A MINUTE??????   What happened to the camera????

Yikes - the lens protector had a crack right through it!!!!!   Now I am very careless with that camera. Half the time the lens cap is NOT on the lens. The camera just got shoved in my bike bag with tons of other odds and ends and I never had a problem. Now it sits on my cutting table over night and BAM - it gets a crack??????   Nothing seems to have fallen on it either?????   Oh well - after a bit of a struggle, I managed to get it off and popped one off my other lens. MUST go and buy a new lens protector. 


Yesterday, I did manage to get my table runner completely sewn and the matching seams came out not bad. I even decided that I would try and get it quilted before I have to take it in this morning. Then at least it will look a bit better and I did NOT want those wavy bias edges to NOT have some support. This is a class sample!!!!

|Table runner - partially quilted

I managed to get a LOT of the current part of the Block of the Month done. I am going to post that as a separate posting so people can refer to it. I am quite happy with the progress of it and it will definitely be a happy quilt. I THOUGHT I needed some blues - yes - after scoping my blues, I didn't have a lot of that particular shade I was going to use. While I was at Ruti's (YES - back less than a week and already at Ruti's TWICE!!!!!) - anyway - I saw this novelty print and had to get a piece. I KNOW - I must STOP buying novelty fabric. What am I going to do with it all?????   At least I have stopped buying Halloween.



Novelty print


Got my books from the library - oh yes - not one, not two, but FIVE of them - how did that happen??????   I MUST not go crazy with the library. There are lists to help my book addiction - I do NOT need to have 50 books checked out at once. I will TRY!!!!!!


On that note - I am ready for my class this morning, but I am going to try and finish the quilting on the table runner.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Boy, once you were back from your cycling trip you hit the floor running.

    As for junk on the computer, there are several free, downloadable programs I like. Avast Anti-Virus works very well at prevention. MalwareBytes anti-malware and SuperAnti-Spyware are excellent for getting rid of the annoyances that start popping up. Spybot Search & Destroy usually takes care of anything that might be left. It also has an "immunization" feature that runs in the background and keeps a lot of stuff off the computer so you don't have to run the other programs very often. Remember, there is no one protection program that catches everything.....no matter what those guys in India might tell you.

    ReplyDelete