Sunday, March 22, 2015

And the winner is.......................................


So M has been at Humber College for the last two years and her program is winding down. She will be graduating - well at least finishing the program within a couple of weeks. Imagine - my little baby is all grown up and finishing college.  ACK!!!!   That means that I am that much older!

As a parent you try to prepare them for everything. You want the best for them, you want them to be successful, you want them to be happy, confident, independent - you know - everything!

The other day we attended a small ceremony where M received a pin as a HONOURS student. Seriously???  My child who couldn't have cared a thing about school when she was in high school??  You could have knocked me over with a feather!!! Needless to say I was beaming and am very very PROUD of her for that achievement. And then she tells me that she got the top mark in a math class. Really?  This cannot be my child!!!  


M receiving her HONOURS pin

That's my girl!!!!!!



Now for a number of years, M has had this idea that she wanted to turn into a business. It has to do with the health/nutrition world. Here is a little video of her pitch. Humber College has a competition for entrepreneurs. M latched onto that concept earlier this school year and has been refining the process since September in addition to her school year. She wrote a pretty in-depth business plan, she had to made prototypes of her product packaging, she has been in touch with local grocery stores, packaging companies, suppliers and I don't know who else as she prepared for this competition.

She had to make a video, she has had to make the in person pitch numerous times to advance to the finals. Yesterday it was down to eight finalists. I believe she said there was 200 people that applied to the program this year. The final pitch was set up similar to Dragon's Den. They had 1 1/2 minutes to make their pitch to four judges. The event was filmed by the Humber Media students and will be available for viewing at some point. We weren't allowed to be there.   I snagged some pictures off the Twitter feed where you can have a peek at the entire feed if you would like.


Embedded image permalink
The judges

Embedded image permalink
M making her pitch
Embedded image permalink
All the finalists waiting for the results

We are out at dinner last night when we get a call. A VERY EXCITED M is calling to say that she won the TOP PRIZE!!!!!!   The TOP PRIZE of $12,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    I am still a bit in shock!!!!!   The money will be used to help her launch her product. Seriously!!!!!!!!    I am about to burst my buttons I am so proud of her!!!!!  

And I will confess that I haven't been the biggest supporter of her product as she went through this. Sorry that I ever doubted you M!!!!!!   Whatever happens to the product idea is not really the important message in this story - the fact that she created an idea, that she stuck with it for years, that she persevered through all kinds of issues, that she researched her little butt off, that she dug in to make a video and learned to edit it, that she has honed her business skills to a level that far exceeds some experienced business people that I know. Her presentation skills, her confidence - well those skills will take her far in this world!!!!   M - AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!  


Here is the link to the HumberLaunch  page with the announcement of the winners. The video from last year is there and I assume when the 2015 video is ready, it will be posted.

Wow wow wow!!!!!!    That is very exciting!!!!  Congratulations kiddo!!!!   You earned every penny of that money!!!!!   Have fun figuring out how to best utilize it to get your product launched.



Yesterday afternoon was such a beautiful day that I had to take the girls for a walk even though I had tons of stuff to do.  Hey - we cannot have any regrets later in life. So despite the wind we took a trip to Tim's. On the way back I had to snap this photo of Sammy. The wind was so strong and we were  now walking INTO the wind. Her ears were pinned back and all her fur was pinned back as she shut her eyes and walked into the wind.  It was pretty funny.
The aerodynamic Sammy



On that note I had better get to work. I broke my quilting foot yesterday and hope to borrow one today so I can finish the quilt. So I am moving back to the long arm!!!  It was my own fault that I broke the foot but I learned what NOT to do.  I'll share that with you in a bit.


Have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

1 comment:

  1. your daughter has a very bright idea . Congrats to her and family..There r
    products out there, but no where close to being nutritiously sound. Good luck M

    ReplyDelete