Monday, March 16, 2015

Fabric tubes!!!!


What a gorgeous day!  I did manage to get my two quilts quilted and another one is almost loaded. But the sunshine beckoned me outside. I went for a walk with the girls - we walked to the library to return some books and videos and then we were off to Tim's for our treat.

The girls at Tim's. Once they got their great, they couldn't be bothered to look at me! Nope, they wanted to see if someone in the drive-thru would feel sorry for them and give them a treat!!!


When I got home, I could NOT go in the house so I sat on the front step and read my book and just sat there for at least an hour. By then it was getting late in the day and the temperature was starting to drop. But it was so nice to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air and the sunshine!!!!!

On Saturday, I taught a class for a bag called Freeport Gatherer. This pattern is by  Aunties Two. She makes lots of bags, rugs and all kinds of other things using cording, batting and other types of filler. You create tubes and then sew them together. Remember the rug that I made???  This is from Aunties Two as well.


My rug - did I not post a picture of the rug once it was completed???  I am sure I did - anyway - you remember this rug. 

Come to think of it - that woven bag that Tish is making is also from Aunties Two.

Part of Tish's woven bag from Aunties Two
This is what the bag (Atlantic Tote) looks like when it is done!


Anyway - we had NINE in the class. But prior to getting to the class, there was a TON of prep work and a lot of people had it done. One lady had prepped TWO bags!!!!

Maria was madly prepping strips on the Thursday prior to the class

A LOT of strips

Yep - a LOT of strips

that get processed into fabric tubes!!!!


Joyce was also prepping hers on one of our sewing days!

Joyce's fabric rope!!!



Karen prepped hers a while back

Look how organized she was with her strips!!!!


After all that prepping, it was time for class. Oh and in case you are wondering what the heck the bag looks like - here is a picture.
Freeport Gatherer



Cia hard at work on her bag

The colours are amazing!!!!!   She did a super job at turning the sides of the bag - hers almost goes IN too far

Joyce hard at work on her oval bag!

I think she must have had something to hold that bag in place like that!!!!

Barb - the colours are so beautiful!!!

Karen having way too much fun while working on a challenging project!!!!

Her bag is going to look awesome when she is done. 

This is my bag. I did NOT execute the turn very well and it is going too far OUT so while the ladies were sewing, I ripped most of it apart and will redo it!!!  I know!  I was in a hurry and thought I could rein those edges back in, but that didn't happen!!!!!


We were just about to turn the corner of the bag and the power went out!  ACK!!!!   I had brought some other samples and so we had a look at those while we waited. A couple of the ladies were packing it in after one half hour (??) wait and then the lights came on. Since they were already packed - they went home, but the rest stayed and got that nasty turn taken care of!!!!

Valerie went home, but she sent me these pictures of her bag


Valerie's bag  (her turn also went wide and so she ran a series of tucks in the top to pull it in)

What a neat idea to do that, but look at the colours. I am not a pastel person, but those colours are gorgeous!!!!
Neat idea to sew tucks in the top.


This is one of the projects that I resurrected when I was getting ready to teach this class. It is also done with fabric tubes, but the basket is CROCHETED. Of course - I am not done!!!  I managed to get the last round on the other night while I watched a VERY weird movie that was shot in Toronto - Enemy. It is weird - I am not sure how it got on my watch list. But it is very thought provoking - maybe that is why I could not get to sleep last night.


Crocheted basket - not sure what to do about the handles. That is all that is left to do!

Popcorn Baskets
 Valerie was also in the Professional Tote class a couple of weeks ago. She sent me the pictures of her completed bag.

The Professional Tote by The Creative Thimble

Inside the Professional Tote



Wow - that was a fun day and I can't wait to see more of the bags completed. As I get pictures, I will post them for you.

Check out the Aunties Two patterns. Is there anything you would like to make in a class???  Let me know as I am always looking for new ideas!!  I have my eye on a couple of them.

On that note - I am out of here - it is sewing day today.  Sadly, I did not get to the gym this morning. A bit of a sleepless night and too tired to get up. Got to figure out what causes that because I do not want to get overtired and get sick!!!

Have a great day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment