Thursday, June 18, 2015

Quilter's Dyslexia!!!!



Hmmm is that even how you spell that word??

OK - time to get some more quilting in here.  Enough lolligagging on the beach!

Let's just say that when there are people around, I haven't sat at the sewing machine as much (is that a good thing???) but I have been doing some quilting, but not nearly like I was before!!!!   And don't even ask about the "While I'm Away" challenge.  I know exactly what I am doing there - just need to get some focus happening!!!!!


When Nancy and I were in Summerside last week, we had to stop at the Dollarama to get my car duster and as I was walking around, I saw this great orange basket, which I thought was perfect to hold all those loose ends on the edge of my sewing table.


See how it keeps everything neat and tidy

OH - this is a much better shot!!!!


But the basket is a great way to keep the enders and leaders from moving around and tools from falling off.  Now if the entire basket goes - well that is a whole different story!!!!   But I like the basket.


I swear,  Sparky (and all pets) have a thing for quilts on the floor.  As soon as some fabric goes on the floor - it calls to them.  "Come and sleep on me.  I am so comfy!!!!"  So while Sparky was checking to see if her dog bed was cozy enough to sleep on, she was also checking out the quilt!!!


Sparky and a quilt on the floor!!!   

 OK - so you remember that package of FQs that Ronda gave me?


FQ bundle from Ronda

The quilt patttern that came with the bundle wasn't big enough for me, so I found two more batik FQs to go with it.  Cut it out a while back and now I am happy to say that the top is completely done!!!!!
Batik quilt top - DONE!!!!!
 Not only did I add in two extra FQs, but I added a border (the orange one) in the center.  It is a funky size, but at least it is now big enough to be considered a generous lap quilt.





And the binding is made as well!!!!!


Then I found that election sign - remember that???


Election sign!
So I can't just leave that behind - I MUST make a bag with that.  It is too great a story to ignore!  To make it an all round PEI experience, I had to buy some fabric in order to make the bag.

Off to the quilt store in O'Leary  (Fabric Crafts n More) (that was a trip I did with Robin - let's just say that events posted on this blog haven't happened in chronological order!)   And I bought some PEI themed fabric.  I didn't have enough so Nancy and I stopped at the Bargain Fabric Outlet and I got more of what I needed.  Of course, I didn't calculate anything - I just bought stuff to get variety and I think I ended up with 14 FQs.  I know - a bit excessive to make a Chubby Charmer.


PEI themed fabric

Hard to see in the picture, but there are shells, sea gulls, lobsters, sand dune and grass, oysters - well you get the idea.

Then I had a brilliant idea to cut up the entire lot into 5 inch squares.  I can use the "leftovers" to make a quilt.
14 FQs cut into 5 inch squares
One of the FQ had to be fussy cut and I only got the equivalent of four 5 inch squares from it. And I  ended up using only half of the Anne of Green Gables fabric.


A little sorting and organizing and VOILA - the two sides of the Chubby Charmer!!!!


Chubby Charmer - front and back


Now what to do with the remaining squares.


The "leftovers"


The second I started to lay out those squares, guess who came running!!!!!

"Is that for me to test???"  

"See - I am good at testing even though you don't want me to!"


And after getting the squares all laid out - I am missing a few near the bottom.  So I had to cut a few more Anne of Green Gables to fill in the empty spots.


Squares laid out - missing a couple

And if you count carefully - there are only 11 squares on the bottom row while there are 12 on the top!  I found that out when I went to start sewing the quilt together


My goal was to NOT have two dark squares together, so I had to jiggle the squares a bit

Hadn't done any jiggling yet - didn't want two dark squares together


Oh - more company!!!!   This time Little Sammy thought she would help out!


Little Sammy helping with the quilt

"Mom - this quilt feels just right!"


Let's just say that something happened on the way to the sewing machine.  I carefully picked up one row at a time. Laid the squares out so they could be sewn in the correct order and then?????   I have no idea what I did, but obviously I got things turned and twisted around in a serious way!!!!!   It seemed to be just the bottom rows????   Anyway - then I got "mad" and started moving the rows around and this was the best I could come up with, without having to rip it apart!!!!   I mean - it is just a fun lap quilt and I will have way more memories out of it because I goofed than if I hadn't!!!  Why is that?????


Quilt top - together


When I laid it out on the floor, I had a funny feeling that this was NOT 60 by 72.  It looked a tad small.  So I measured - yep - it is about 55 by 63.  Oh SHOOT - when I did my calculations - I based it on 5 inches, but DUH - the squares would only be 4.5 finished.   Perhaps it is time to head home - my brain is turning to mush!!!!   Well - I guess a border is in order and I know the perfect fabric to put on it.  That means another trip to Bargain Fabrics to get that.  Plus they have PEI tartan and I might put that on the back.

Other than the layout issues or should I say - the sewing together issues, making a quilt from squares is really a fast fast way to get a quilt.

Don't forget to check out QUILTSocial this morning. You will get to see a preview of the project that I made.  I love it and it is such a great memory of here!!!!


Today the weather is about perfect.  The sun is out, there is minimal wind and I think I shall get the bike out and go for a spin.

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!




6 comments:

  1. Wait! What happened to the chubby charmer??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on Chubby Charmer - don't worry!

      Delete
    2. I'm working on Chubby Charmer - don't worry!

      Delete
  2. Love the quilt.. you even have PEI potatoes in it; and I really like the fishing boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - all the bits of PEI. I am very happy with the quilt

      Delete
    2. Yes - all the bits of PEI. I am very happy with the quilt

      Delete