Sunday, June 14, 2015

Sign sign everywhere a sign!!



You know that there are signs everywhere. Some people get very creative in their signs so they get noticed. But let's face it - we have become almost blase about signs and tend to not pay too much attention to them.

I am happy to report that I am not alone in that.

Here is what happened yesterday.   DH and I are on our way back to the bakery to get cinnamon buns.  Men do NOT get excited about this kind of stuff - "why are we driving for 20 minutes to get cinnamon buns, then another 20 minutes to get tea from Tim's and then 10 minutes to get back home". "Because we are on vacation and we are supposed to be relaxing". Silence.

I should mention that there are BLUE signs everywhere advertising various tourist things - could be a craft shop, a historical site, a golf course - all kinds of stuff. Well, the Anne of Green Gables Museum is within walking distance of the house. I had noticed a blue sign advertising the birthplace of Lucy Maude Montegomery as well, but never really paid attenton until yesterday when I realized that I have driven past the house on several occasions and never even paid attention to the signs!!!!!   DUH!!!!!


Birth place of Lucy Maude Montgomery
 I do believe I visited that house back in 1979!!!!   Anyway - I am not that familiar with the Anne of Green Gables stories (GASP!), so I am not sure I will go to any of the things related to the stories.

I have seen several other signs around the area.   These ones look like quilt blocks so of course I noticed those!!!!



Quilt block sign on The Village Pottery


There is a QR code on them which would have given me the information, but I asked Robin instead and they are "markers" of the Arts and Heritage Trail in PEI.   Ah - I remember - I had seen some of these when I was in Charlottetown a couple of years ago. I posted the link so you can see some more of them.   I just checked out The Village Pottery web site - OH OH  - me thinks a stop is in order.  There is some gorgeous art work there and I have seen a place with wind chimes - I want a wind chime. But NOT to hang here!!!   I'd never get any sleep.


Check out THIS WEB SITE - with ALL the quilt blocks.

And here is another one of the signs I spotted the other day in Hunter River.

Another quilt block

Look at those two guys - they are so LIFE LIKE!!!!!

Harmony House Theatre, Lounge and Gallery iin Hunter River


You have to LOVE the colour of that building - it is pretty vibrant!!!!

And right beside the theatre is this sign  - a beautiful sign for the Veterans Memorial Highway. A beautiful dedication to those who have lost their lives in service to our country.

Marker for Veterans Memorial Highway


I wanted to see a recital in Summerside so Nancy and I were off in her car.  I get in the car and HEY - what's this thing doing in the car??????




A duster!!!!!    What a brilliant idea
 I made sure that my side of the car was nicely dusted as we drove!!!!   But I wanted one for my car so we stopped at the Dollarama so I now have one.  I won't let Nancy in my car - it is pretty dirty!!!   She is a clean freak. Well not a freak - but much more fastidious than I am!!!!


My duster for the car. 


OK - so I have seen this sign several times when I was driving through Summerside.  What the heck - the event is free - let's go. So we did, but when we pulled into the parking lot - it was empty except for ONE car.  Seriously????   How can that be?   Of course, Nancy asked the lady in the car and DUH - the recital is on SUNDAY!!!!!!   (which is today - we went yesterday)

The College of Piping
And yep - it says pretty clear on that sign - SUNDAY, June 14, but for some reason - I had it in my mind that the concert was Saturday.  Or I was confused - I don't know.

Then we were off to the gas station to get CHEAP gas.  Nancy swore that she saw a sign with gas at 114.7.  When she got back in the car, she said - OOPS - it is diesel that is 114.7.   Ah no - wrong again!!!!   When we actually READ the sign - it says 114.7 if you are paying cash or debit, otherwise that will be 116.7 please!!!!!


Gas prices


So you see - it is important to read the flipping signs!!!!!!    Oh well - it is all in fun and we are ON VACATION so it doesn't matter.


Weatherwise - yesterday was a GORGEOUS day.   The sun was out, not too windy (but still windy enough).  However this morning, the wind is whipping around the house, the rocking chairs on the deck are rocking furiously by THEMSELVES and the waves on the ocean are SPECTACULAR.   I am going to run down to the beach in a few minutes because the scene is just awesome and the noise of the waves - wow!!!!!!   Like I said - everyday is different and I am LOVING each and every minute.

I am laying in bed this morning and I can hear and feel the wind.  I can hear the wind whistling in an open window and assumed it was one upstairs. Nope - someone left a window open downstairs and it was COLD in the house.

We have been having rain, but now it appears to be raining at night and clearing up in the day.  Look at the mud on my car!!!!

Mud on my car - hard to see, car is red, mud is red!!!!



I was going to post more pictures this morning, but I'll maybe do another post later today.  There is so much happening!!!!  I can't keep up.


AH - I feel much better now because part of me was feeling guilty as not doing more touristy things here.  However after looking at the PEI Experiences web site  there are three main activities:
 arts and crafts (been to three different quilt shops - SEVERAL times), going to the pottery shop and the wind chime shop - so I can check off arts and crafts.
Cuisine/taste - been to the cheese shop, a couple of local restaurants and going to get fresh lobster tomorrow.  I can check that one off
The last one is Nature/Outdoors - between the beach and geocaching and walking around and cycling - I can check that one off as well.


Yiipppeeeeee - I'm officially a tourist on PEI!!!!


Have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy the wind chime place- It is awesome! My last trip home I bought my daughter one and it is fabolous! Which cheese shop did you go to? Was it the Gouda Lady? They have an awesome smoked gouda and you must get the linen wrapped cheese from cows- it has won awards. In New Glasgow did you visit the preserve company? Lots to taste test there!
    Glad you are having a great time- I so cannot wait till I get home in a couple of weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,

      Hail from Charlottetown, but family is all over. My aunt has cottages in South Rustico that I always use as my base when home- Till I find the right one for my to buy for myself

      Delete
  2. Hvaen't gotten to the wind chime place yet but I will. We went to Glasgow Glen Farms (very close to the Preserve company which I haven't been to yet either. Glasgow glen makes yummy pizza on Friday nights and cinnamon buns on Saturday morning. And we bought the cheese from them. Cows has cheese??? Didn't know that. Will check it out as we want to go there as well. What part of the island are you from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hvaen't gotten to the wind chime place yet but I will. We went to Glasgow Glen Farms (very close to the Preserve company which I haven't been to yet either. Glasgow glen makes yummy pizza on Friday nights and cinnamon buns on Saturday morning. And we bought the cheese from them. Cows has cheese??? Didn't know that. Will check it out as we want to go there as well. What part of the island are you from?

    ReplyDelete