Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The FRIENDLIEST spot on earth!!!!

Let me tell you that the people here are very FRIENDLY. I walk into the local grocery store - they say HI without hesitation. I walk into the pharmacy to get some photocopies and they couldn't be more helpful. I go to the liquor store and they see me with a case of beer and then tell me that I can get a case that is chilled. (The beer wasn't for me!)

However what happened yesterday was beyond my wildest imagination. I needed to get a document scanned in order to meet a deadline - yes - those darn deadlinesn followed me on vacation. Even though I had sent the photocopies in the mail, they weren't going to arrive in time for the deadline and well as the person expecting the document said - "what is the point of flexible deadlines".  Oh yes - I'm going to have to get myself better organized!

Anyway - after a quick check of the internet, we were off to Staples in Summerside. I was going to take the girls with me, but Sparky refused to go in the car while Sammy couldn't wait to go for a ride. Upon arriving at Staples - a mere 20 K away, I decided to leave Sammy outside the store rather than in the car.  I spoke to the VERY friendly staff at the copy center and while they were scanning my documents, I was wandering the store. A VERY bubbly lady came up to me (I'd been in the store at least five minutes by now) and asked "is that your puppy outside?"  "Yes" I replied, "is she bothering someone?"   "Oh no - you are ALLOWED to bring your pet into Staples".  SERIOUSLY??????   I think she might have been the manager who tracked me down to tell me that Little Sammy could come shopping with me??????   OK - that is above and beyond.

Let's just say that Little Sammy was in her GLORY!!!!  

Little Sammy shopping at Staples!

I was blown away!   And then we went to the pet store. I think there were too many smells in that store - Sammy wasn't happy.  I didn't think she would be welcome in the grocery store so she stayed outside for that one.

And let's just say that I know why Sparky wanted to stay home. Yep - she snagged a few extra cookies and tried to get into the recycling while I was away.  Bad dog Sparky!!!!!   Well she may be staying home in the future, but she won't have any kind of access to that stuff. It will be locked up tight!  Let's just say that I heard her tummy gurgling all evening!  But she is fine and didn't eat too many!

I must make a clarification.  I am NOT bored.  I may sound bored but I am not!  It is just that it is VERY quiet around here and I have never been this "alone" for a LONG LONG time.  Out of all the houses around here, at the moment there is just ONE other house occupied.  I can see their vehicle from where I am sitting and from time to time I see them, but no contact which is good!   My neighbour set up his trailer and he is gone, the other neighbour beside them closed up their house and are gone!   Yep - it is almost like living in a ghost town!

Trust me - I have oodles of stuff to do (both fun and necessary) - it is just the complete change of environment that is throwing me off!   We do have a schedule - the dogs require a schedule. Without it - well I would be lost!  We  have so much to explore in the area around - a number of geocaches that we can walk to. Anne of Green Gables Museum just down the way.  If I don't bike - no big deal. I'm getting in way more than 10,000 steps every day!

Oh and here is a tip I found for not eating junk food in the evening. Not that I have any in the house.  But for dinner last night, I had a huge plate of veggies - four celery sticks, half a tomato, a carrot and some cucumber. And of course my bread and cheese.  I was so full that I thought I was going to burst.  Must have been those celery sticks. They take so long to eat that you lose all interest in eating after that!!!!!


And now on with what's been happening....................

So the gale force winds seem to have died down somewhat but now it is freezing. If I were into selfies, I'd make a good picture as I am bundled up into the only two fleece sweaters I brought, with a scarf, shoes and socks and fingerless gloves as I walk the dogs and I'm still cold!!!!  OK - so I have substituted my shoes and socks for slippers, but the rest - I kept on!!!!

But I did get some pictures of Little Sammy when we had the winds ....................


Yes - her ears are pinned back because of the wind - this is on the lawn at the house

Hard to walk against the wind

Very very windy!!


Then it is back down to the beach...............   This sign is posted at the entrance to the beach. No kidding!!!!


Strong Undertow!!!!!!
 You won't catch me in the ocean. I didn't even bring a bathing suit. I am NOT a water baby.  But even walking in the creek that runs into the ocean, you can feel how strong that current is.

It appears that on the weekend some locals were having fun at the beach. I found the remains of a camp fire the other morning.

Remains of a camp fire
 And while they did try to bury the fire, the wind had blown some of the sand away and there were red embers and flames still burning. I threw more sand on it!


Red embers still burning


Hopefully you can see in this next picture - those light coloured streaks on the darker sand????   That is the loose sand being blown across the wet sand!!!!  Not so bad going with the wind, but coming back against it?  Like being in a sand storm!



Sand blowing on the beach



More erosion at the base of the red cliffs

Beachcomber Sammy 
 I have to make her walk in front of me - otherwise she is scouring the beach for junk to eat.  I think it must be bits of seafood????


Little Sammy enjoying the beach


Little Sammy - NEVER looks at the camera
 I swear that dog has a thing with the camera.  She never looks at it and never puts her ears up to get her full cutness factor in when I take a picture. Silly girl - she is very cute - shy but cute!!!


See how much the wind is blowing the grass?????   

 And I cater to Little Sammy because she is so cute.  At night, I move her bed into the bedroom. In the morning, I move it into the dining area. When I sew I move it to the living room. That dog is completely spoiled. Sparky only sleeps on her bed at night although she is very stiff these days - she needs to get off the cold floor, but I can't make her.


Little Sammy fast asleep

Ah - sleeping by the fire!!!!!!!!
 Oh yes - I have had to put the fireplace on. Mostly at night and thank god I brought my slippers. The floor is not too warm!!!  But you know what - it is an adventure. We are having loads of fun - investigating places and things and well - just having fun!!!!

Little Sammy must be feeling more comfortable - she finally got her toy and slept with it yesterday!!!


Little Sammy and her cat!!!!

Little Sammy going for a car ride




Hmmm - that post was all about Little Sammy!!!!    How did that happen???  Oh well she is cute and very entertaining.


I had to get up around 4:30 AM this morning (Sparky needed to go out - I wonder why?) and can you believe I saw the lights of a couple of fishing boats?????   Seriously - I know they get up early, but it must be absolutely freezing on those boats and in the dark. Ick - a life at sea is NOT a life for me!!!!

Was busy getting the blogs ready for QUILTSocial. Those will be published later this month - not sure the date yet.  Today I see I have another looming deadline (not a huge one but has to be done) and a couple of phone calls. Thank goodness as it breaks the routine of NOTHING!   Making good progress on my book - a mere 700 pages (or close to it). Well over half way. Oh yes - I am relaxing - don't you worry!!!!

I don't know how cold it is outside this morning and I don't want to know!!!!  But I see it is cold back home as well.  

On that note - have an awesome day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment