Sunday, May 22, 2016

Spring Market - Day Four

Wow - what a whirlwind day!  All of my appointments were booked for yesterday and I spent the day hopping from appointment to appointment.  Met with numerous editors of the magazines - I KNOW - that sounds so flipping surreal.  In all the years, I've read the quilt magazines, I never imagined that I would be meeting with the editors, discussing editorial content, patterns, etc.  I'm walking away with a LOT of work and follow-up to do. I can't wait to get started.

And look out world because EQ7 and myself are going to get a bit more acquainted as I propose more and more content for the magazines.

I did spend a bit of time walking the floor one more time - this time with my camera.  There is so much to take in and I want to remember some of the stuff when I write up my notes.

This is one of the items that I MUST find when it becomes available.  It's called Pet Selfies and is by elizabeth's studio.  It's absolutely precious.





Can you just imagine the thoughts going through their heads?  Oh yes - it's a keeper for sure.  I now, here I am promoting the competition, but honestly - this is just too cute to not mention.

I also saw a new dog panel by Lorelei and it is also to die for.  Oh - do you see a theme here?

My day started off by attending class with Helen Stubbings from hugs n kisses.  I just love her embroidery patterns - they are cute, cute, cute.  I do have several of her patterns and alas no time to work on them. When I retire!  We did a different method of English Paper Piecing - the templates are made from fusible interfacing.  I'm not sure that I'm sold on that method, but I'm going to give it a try.  We got a kit for a small little bag and it's all hand work, so I could get that done!  But I have to say that I was a bit of a dolt because I couldn't find the room even after I looked at the number.  However some lady who had downloaded the Quilt Market App directed me to the right room.  No - 155 ABC is not the same as 255 ABC.  Ooops - everything I had done prior was in the two hundred series and not the one hundred.  The good news is that I managed to find my teeny tiny scissors that I keep in my little sewing box. The darn things were in the teeny metal tin and have escaped my scrutiny on several occasions.

Hopefully, I'll find my room today as I have one more class this morning.

Dinner plans are always pretty chaotic.  Some like to eat late, some like to have a drink before dinner, some don't mind to wait (wait times were close to an hour last night).  It's crazy as people sort themselves out.  I have managed to eat dinner with different people every evening. You know, it's been great as I've gotten to know more people in the organization and different points of view on various aspects.  I love that and it's definitely to my benefit. We had a super engaging dinner conversation last night and we even stayed at the restaurant until 9 PM which was late for us. Every once in a while, you get into a great conversation and well - you just can't stop and that was last night. After we got back to the hotel, I spent further time chatting with Shirley (who is also a quilter) and well - it was late - 10:30 by the time I got to bed.  That was very late for me, but so worth all the conversation.

Our booth was super busy again yesterday and we were all playing musical chairs to find a spot to meet with our customers and marketing contacts. But that added so much to the air of excitement - I would much rather see that than to have a huge booth that is half empty. Again, we had customers right up until the end of the day and the booth looks like a tornado went through!

Our Stonehenge end of the booth  (Northcott)

Today is the last day of the show.  It closes down at 4 PM and then the mad scramble to get everything down and into the crates.  We also have a very early flight tomorrow morning so we're going to arrive home exhausted!

There are a few more designers that I want to chat with personally about a couple of issues, going to stop by Zebra Patterns (the designer of the plates for Row by Row) and then just take a lot more pictures.  My job will be done!

I have to say that I feel guilty, but just a teeny tiny bit.  Coming to Market is like sending a kid into a candy store except that you can't buy anything. And honestly, you almost don't want to buy because there is so much. To be here and see all the big names in person, to see all the new stuff and to do it while you are actually working and getting paid - well that is just the best. So many of the people here are doing this because it's a job for them. To be here and to be so passionate about the industry - well that is just sinful and I love it!

On that note, going to see if I can check in for the flight tomorrow (yes - it is dreadfully early!) and then off to get breakfast.  I've kept my room pretty tidy - my teeny suitcase and my big tote bag have contained all my stuff. I confiscated one of the smaller tote bags (made by Tish) as my carry around bag. We didn't have enough room to hang it in the booth.  Well, this morning, I needed to find the charger for my laptop and my Fit Bit and well, let's just say that EVERYTHING is now strewn everywhere. I must get it all back in the proper spots because the big tote bag is going to be put in the crate for the way home.  I'm NOT carrying that on the plane.

Have a super awesome day!

Ciao!!!!


OH OH OH - one of the most exciting things I discovered yesterday - the license plates are up on Zebra Patterns website.  OH yes - if you want to start planning your travel or see all the exciting plates, you MUST go to the link for Zebra,   Hold me back!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment