Tuesday, November 21, 2017

What do I do with that?


I was lucky enough to teach a class at the Etobicoke Quilter's Guild on the weekend.  The class was Modern Improv or something like that! We had a great time - well, I had a great time and it never fails to amaze me at how I learn from the students. I'm also amazed at how trusting students can be. They just dive in!  As a student - I tend to be a whiner!

Here's the thing about modern quilting. I used to think that modern quilting was all about the younger generation - the young moms at home who wanted to learn to quilt. Well, I've learned that that is NOT the case.  Most of the class, NO - the entire class were much more experienced ladies. Same with the modern guilds - we're older and wiser! And many of us want to use up our existing fabric to make modern quilts!  There was a wild variety of fabrics in the room - some bordered on modern, most did not!  It was great.  I didn't take pictures - I should have, but I didn't.

Last night, I was the guest speaker at the Etobicoke Quilter's Guild and a number of students brought in what they had worked on. Some had made progress since the Saturday class.  Again - I didn't take pictures - I should have, but I didn't. I must get back into picture taking mode. Some of the show n tell was from a previous class that I taught at this guild. It's always such fun to see finished projects!

However, there was one thing that came from this. One lady held up her very creative piece - totally made with NON-modern fabric. The finished size was about 12 - 14" square.  She had shown it to her family and they had said, "what do you do with that?" 

I've always made quilts of different sizes. From day one, I've love mini quilts. Gosh - I bought all the Miniature Quilts magazines from years gone by and I was just online checking and mini-quilts are making a comeback.  HEY  - I think I see a workshop coming on!

So what do you do with all those small quilts?  You hang them of course!  I've been meaning to create a mini gallery in my office for a while and while I've hung quilts in the past, I tended to poke holes in the drywall and well, it wasn't looking too pretty.  What to do to prevent that?  I purchased three strips of cork measuring 1" by 48".  I'm not sure that I should admit this, but they are now stuck to the wall in my office using the 3M sticky tissue tape that came with the cork strips.  It works for me. 

And look how great the quilts look. 

My mini gallery


I know - too many white quilts!  But that's all I had for Christmas quilts and I just grabbed the NO WHINING quilt because I was feeling grumpy after being sick!  But this is what you do with your mini-quilts. You hang them to enjoy.  I have enough that I can rotate the display throughout the year and I can hardly wait.  I also have a large quilt that hangs behind my desk. My office space is nice and cozy and I'm loving it!

I didn't take a picture of my quilt display area at home, but I will.  Those quilts are hanging on racks.

Let's just say that there is going to be a mad panic in the next 48 hours in that studio. I'm so excited, I can hardly think! Pitching and packing (mostly packing).  What I really need like RIGHT NOW is a POD. Someplace to stash all that stuff.  Maybe if I donate all my decorations which I don't use anymore, I can use that space to stash all this stuff????  Just a thought.  However, there is NO time for that. I could just haul it all upstairs and hide it in a bedroom. That might be the better solution.  And then once and for all - this MUST MUST MUST be dealt with.  It all comes at the right time of year when I'm thinking of how to get things done and what things to get done for 2018.

Life is never dull at our house. NEVER. 

Have a super day!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment