Friday, February 16, 2018

Quilting books


There are a ton of quilting books on the market. Loads and how do you decide which ones you want to buy.  Just like the recent closure of two fabric companies, quilt book publishers have come and gone and changed hands. It's inevitable. I recently heard that one well-known publisher canceled SIX titles because they didn't think they could sell them. And the price of books has gone crazy so it makes it harder for quilt stores to sell them. Which is a shame, but I get it. The price on ONLINE shopping.

The other day, I was near an Indigo (big bookstore in Canada) and I had some time on my hands so I thought I would stop in to browse the magazines and craft books. There were THREE quilt books on the shelves. THREE!  Why is that? Well - we all know that we can go online and buy them cheaper with a much bigger selection so why would we buy them in a shop - one even as big as Indigo?  Oh - I have an article to share with you about online shopping. I'll try to get to that tomorrow - it's buried in this pile of paperwork.

All three were titles that I don't have, but after browsing them, I didn't buy any of them. I have a huge collection of books and I have to be very selective about what I buy. I do like coffee table books on quilts as well as historical books on quilts. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like picture books of quilts rather than patterns. But I'll buy technique books if it's something I don't already have.

Here's a new coffee table book that I want to get my hands on.

Quilts and Health


If you go to the link above, you'll get a description of the book.  I'm happy to say that I know ONE person who has a quilt in the book. Here's a link to Doris' blog where she describes her quilt. That's exciting. But look at the price of the book - it's not cheap. But I love these kinds of books - they are full of inspiration.

The other book I wanted to talk about today is a technique book by a friend of mine. I only recently learned that she was publishing a book and it'll be out soon.

Contemporary Paper-Pieced Quilts by Jeannie Jenkins


Here's the link if you want to order the book as I don't think it comes out until May.

That's super exciting for Jeannie!!  I think that a couple of the quilts in the book will be on display at Quiltcon next week. And Jeannie won a prize at QuiltCon last year. Hmm - I wonder???? Good luck Jeannie.

Speaking of Jeannie, she has a quilt in another book. This one is called Modern Quilts. It came out last year and I have my copy.

Modern Quilts

A number of other Canadian quilters have quilts in the book - Jeannie, Libs Elliot, Rebecca Burnett, Jennifer Johnston to mention a few. I've seen many of the quilts in person at the past two Quiltcon shows. And I've met a few of the US quilters in the book as well. It's a great book with a great representation of Modern Quilts!

I've thought of writing a book, but what would I write about? Well - I'd write about my favorite topics of course - quilts. And it would be a coffee table book. I even have a topic, but I'll wait until I'm retired! 

I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted yesterday and now I'm very behind. That's not good, but we're not going to panic. Take it one step at a time and do what I can - that's all that I can do. But I see that I need to sit down and set out those deadlines as there are a number of looming deadlines have accumulated and those quilts need to be addressed and scheduled.

On that note, I'm out of here!!!

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Elaine: I have taken to ordering books on line from Indigo as I can't find them in stores. I bought the Modern Quilts book from Indigo as well even though it's better for the Modern Guild if you buy it from them, but it was going to cost as much to get it shipped here as the cost of the book. That placed it out of my budget. I'm looking forward to seeing Jeannies book. It should be interesting . Her quilts are so beautiful. As are Doris's.

    ReplyDelete