Monday, July 29, 2019

Behind the scenes


What a great day at Quilts at the Creek!!!!  Yes - it was hot. But if you go prepared for that, it's not so bad. Says the person who hasn't yet turned on the air conditioner! If you live in a non-air conditioned environment, being outside is just fine. I'd rather the windows wide open in my house than freeze in one part and be stifled in another (as is the case with most two-story houses). It works for us and I find that the heat is much easier to handle when you're always in the heat.

What does blow me away is when I'm out walking the dogs in the morning and I hear people's air conditioners going and it's 16 degrees outside. That's just wrong and I wonder what their inside temperature is set to? I'd be dressed up in many layers if I lived there.

Matter of fact, at one point last night as we were finishing up, I couldn't wait to get outside to warm up! I absolutely detest air conditioning! But I'm the minority!

It was like an old home week over the last two days. Saw so many familiar faces and met some new ones too. People that I "know" from Instagram and Facebook, but had never put a face to. It was great fun to meet up. I'm going to share those stories later this week because they deserve more time than I have this morning.

I got to see the Prince exhibit from the Cherrywood Challenge. Oh my gosh - I can't believe the pieces of art. They were stunning. So much detail in those pieces. And it's amazing to see how each person represented Prince (the singer). The creativity was well - it was over the top. If you didn't get a chance to see these pieces, the exhibit is traveling for the next few months. Check out the travel schedule - you should really see it. Only half of the quilts were on display as the show is split in two and we got to see half. The winning quilt was among the pieces and it was to die for.

All of the quilts have been published in a book which you can get at The Cotton Harvest Quilt Shop in Seaforth if you're traveling this summer. You can also buy it on-line.

Carol's quilt was amongst those accepted for this show. Yeah, Carol!!!!! Shoot - I didn't get that great of a picture. But this is Carol all the way. That precise piecing!!! I guess you'll have to buy the book to see a better picture of it!


Carol's piece in the Prince challenge



After the show closed, I helped take the quilts down. Not quite as fast as last year. There was a wee issue of rain last year at about 4 PM. The quilts were down and in a building in about 5 minutes. I didn't time it yesterday, but it really didn't take that long before everything was down.

Then the waiting began as the volunteers sorted, bagged, checked and rechecked to make sure that no quilts went missing.

Jane had taken my quilts to the show, but since I was there, I might as well bring them home. But I had to wait for Jane to get all the quilts that she had delivered. In the meantime, we had a great chat about life, cars, teaching kids to quilt and much more!!!

Then there was the task of getting all the quilts to Jane's car. A wagon train of course! Those collapsible wagons are just the best. I see there is a new style that allows the wagon to fold up even more compact. That's awesome!

This is what Janes' car looked like as she drove away. It was packed front and back with bags of quilts! Not sure if she could see out her back window.


A car of quilts

The back was packed

I do hope that everyone appreciates the work that goes on behind the scenes in any event. What you see on the surface is all the fun stuff, but behind the scenes and Quilts at the Creek was no exception, there are a ton of people who pull it together. I won't even mention all the categories of volunteers because there are many.

Quilts at the Creek is a great event, I had loads of fun (again). Except that I think I got bitten by a horsefly. There was this big thing on my arm which I quickly brushed away, but not before the silly thing bit me. It hurts today and is itchy even though there's no really a mark. But the spot is swollen. Damn bugs. I can deal with the heat, but do NOT give me bugs.

I found pictures of two other things that are up for grabs. Nothing exciting. I found two brand new boxes that would work for boxing up a quilt as a gift. They are folded flat.


Two boxes

And I discovered the grid for basting a quilt using the basting gun. I think I used it once but I used to take it to my classes to show students how it worked. I don't even bother anymore. But if you like to use the basting gun and want it or know of another creative use for it????  Anyway - it's going at some point.
Grid for basting quilts with a basting gun

Someone should make a museum of all these tools and gadgets that have been created over the years. Then we can go back and remember how it was done "in the old days!". What a laugh.

I'm off to Monday sewing. I haven't found my red Ultrasuede yet, but if I can get that white roof stitched on my block, I'll be very happy.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!

2 comments:

  1. You're right about the work behind a quilt show. That's probably why there's no one to take over the reins of this show. And I agree about the gadgets. I had a box full of them that went to a thrift store because none of my quilting buddies wanted any of them! When I learned to quilt over 30 years ago, I was taught with templates made from cardboard using a ruler and scissors. It wasn't until I joined a quilt guild 5 years later that I learned about a rotary cutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH my -- yep - loads of gadgets. I'm not sure that anyone (even the thrift store) is going to want my gadgets, but you never know. I'll start a box and see what else I come up with.
      Fortunately, I learned to quilt with a rotary cutter. Can't imagine how laborious the process is with templates and scissors!!!
      Elaine

      Delete