Monday, July 15, 2019

Ultimate Quilt Block Part 3


Today is the last day of the show n tell from the Ultimate Quilt Block class at The Hobby Horse. Make that the last post from the June class. We don't normally have classes in the summer, but to make up for a couple of classes that we missed because of inclement weather, we have a class in July and August. So we'll have more show n tell soon!

Ultimate Quilt Block Collection by Lynne Goldsworthy


The theme for the last month was small piecing. You already saw the blocks that the group put together from the book. The blocks today are their own creations.

We start off by viewing a quilt that we did in this ongoing class several years ago. It was called Snow Days by Crabapple Hill.    The photo below is the original quilt. I didn't get a picture of Susie's quilt that is finished!!!  There's loads of piecing and embroidery in the quilt.

Snow Days by Crabapple Hill

So why are we viewing this quilt? Because Susie saved (and USED) the little cut-offs from the flying geese blocks. And this is what she made with them. A girl after my own heart - she saved those cut-off pieces!!!!  I know - not everyone is crazy but some of us are!

She also likes embroidery so after making the center with the half-square triangles, she added some embroidery to the middle border. I LOVE it - very creative and uses up some scraps. I've forgotten how big those finished half square triangles are, but they are fairly small. I believe they are less than one inch finished.


Susie's piece made from scraps


Shoot - I've forgotten whose piece this belongs to. Those little squares are one inch finished. That's small - much smaller than most people want to work with. I love the variety of greens but looks like there's only one pink. Notice how the different colors and values change what pops in each block. It's actually a very interesting color study!


Color study in green and pink

Mary went crazy!!!!  Look at all those half square triangles and she does NOT do small. But look at those colors!!!!  I believe the half square triangles finish at ½". Yep - that's small. Way to go Mary! This will make a super mini-quilt when she finishes it off.


Mary's small piecing piece


I believe this is from the other Mary in the class. She didn't have anything specific for the small piecing. Hers is an on-going project. There's her little tin of half square triangles that she's made from cast-off pieces. And she's started to make pinwheel blocks with them. This is an ender/leader project.

Mary's half square triangle project

More of Mary's small piecing project


It's so exciting to see how creative the group is. We are all at different stages of our creative journey. I think everyone in the class wants to move forward, otherwise, they wouldn't have signed up!. It doesn't matter where any of us are on our creative journey. For me, the important thing is to keep moving forward. Some will go slow, some will go faster and some of us will take a pit stop along the way.

After 20+ years as a quilter, I'm feeling much more confident in what I make. I've been doing some reading on the subject and it appears that almost all of us suffer from lack of confidence in our work at some point. I'm not always happy with what I make but I try to learn from those pieces to figure out how I could have done it differently.

While I'm a maker, I want to make things that I'm proud of. If something gets made and I don't like it (like my Prince challenge from yesterday), how can I change it so that I will like it? I think I have a couple of ideas. Yep - I'm going to resurrect that piece.

I've got a lot of work to do this week and we have Sit n Sew on Thursday. Still a lot of work to get prepped for that day and I have to find something to sew!!! I'm looking forward to the day!

On that note - it's Monday sewing. I've got to get ready for that!

Have a super day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment