Tuesday, July 9, 2019

The final clean up begins


While it's nice to have lots of stuff - it can sure suck up a lot of time as one attempts to manage it all.

When I got back from the retreat, I had several bags of stuff that had to be unpacked and then put away. I've managed to get all but one unpacked. There's a pile of stuff in the hallway upstairs that needs attention. In some case, I have to find a backing for a project, or I need a matching fabric for a border. Or it's something that needs to be put away. I'm going to try and get that cleaned up and sorted before I unpack the final bag.

I got fed up this morning as I was trying to organize the projects for this week's agenda. So I basically emptied Studio U so I could have loads of room to work. I took pictures - well I will take pictures and you'll see them. Holy - that makes a huge difference. OK -- so I'm lying. I didn't completely empty it, but I made room to work.

And then there's Studio B - well, that's a whole other story. I started yesterday and yes - one box or bag at a time. It's just that there's a LOT of boxes and bags.

I've got loads to do before I'm ready for the Sit n Sew days next week. But as I was rifling through stuff this morning, I found a whole whack of stuff that is designated for the community projects quilts. Perfect. Some of it was already cut into kits and some of it needs to be cut. I want the ladies who are coming to maximize their time by sewing and most people like to sew rather than cut. There are a few spots left if anyone is interested in sewing for community projects. That's next Friday - July 19th. You can e-mail me if you'd like to come.

Here's one of the projects that I completed (the top) at the retreat. A while back, our ongoing project at The Hobby Horse was to make table runners from this book. I choose certain ones each month and discussed how to assemble the table runner. The focus of the class was on how to quilt these projects.


The Big Book of Table Toppers

Believe it or not, but I made most of the ones that I selected for the class. The strips were cut for this one. On the morning before we left, I sewed it together. The sides need to be trimmed, but I'll do that once it's quilted.

Table runner - top is DONE

When I got home, I found some backing for it and made the binding so it's ready to go into the "to be quilted" pile when I unearth that pile.

Binding, backing and table runner top - ready for quilting

I'm a pioneer at heart. I can't give up saving scraps. I know - it's a sickness. Got it from my mother! I had a bag of bits that were left over from the strips when I cut out a bunch of squares for a quilt. The quilt top is done, but not quilted. However, these bits were saved in a bag in the hopes of making a zippered pouch from them. I laid them out to see what I had and decided that I had enough for more than one pouch if I added the blue solid fabric that went with the project.

One pair of sides for a zippered pouch

Here's the second set of sides for another zippered pouch. I had to piece the bottom sections of the blue. Now I want that to be a solid piece. So when I unearth the bucket with the solids, I'm sure I'll find the same blue.

The second pair of sides for a zippered pouch

And I think there are enough scraps left over to make one more. Those were done one morning at the retreat.

Speaking of the retreat, there were several things that I forgot to bring with me. One of them was the plastic container with all my presser feet. I thought I remembered taking it out of the cabinet that it resides in. Nope - when I got home, I found the plastic container in the very spot it's supposed to be. I had simply forgotten to pack it.

The container of presser feet

That is a very precious (and expensive) box. I must never lose that!!!!

The other thing that I was supposed to take was a light that we install in the dining room to have extra light. Well, I remembered the light, but where was the small chain that attached our light to the existing light? I remember seeing it on the sideboard (in the dining room) before we left and as I grabbed the light, I'm certain that I grabbed the chain. But where is the chain???  No idea. It wasn't in the box. And it's no longer on the sideboard. Hmmm - where did the darn thing go????

Thought I'd take one more peek in the project bag and NO chain. Well - I have a couple of months to find the darn thing. But why wasn't it in the box?

I must also get myself a travel supply box. Or - I need to prep better. Lynn is an excellent prepper for the retreat. Absolutely everything she took was prepped. And I don't think she was missing any tools or supplies. Me on the other hand - well, I was missing stuff. So I need to get better organized or just take projects that need to be pieced. I can handle packing a spool of thread!

Let's pop down to Studio B to see what's going on. This is the bookcase area. Notice that there is stuff in front of it and instead of just moving it, I decided to deal with it.

Let's start to clean up

Yes - I know that I have things to get rid of and I am. Just some stuff, I'm not ready to get rid of yet. And I might change my mind as I see how much stuff will or will not fit in the storage room.

This cabinet is filled with cross stitch and embroidery stuff. There are kits, fabric, stretcher frames and a whole lot more. I did NOT go through the cabinet.

A cabinet full of cross stitch and embroidery projects

I know that I'll likely not touch it, but I might. So it stays for the moment.

Cross stitch and embroidery patterns/projects

There were three such cabinets. I managed to empty one as I took some stuff out. I'll share that with you tomorrow. I have some yarn as well. Not a huge amount and a lot of it is in small amounts that I was going to use for embellishments. But there are a couple of knitting projects for cute vests or cover-ups. I do like that kind of thing so I'd better get knitting or find someone who will knit them for me without breaking the bank!

So the three rolling cabinets went back into the large storage area. One is filled with yarn, one is filled with cross stitch stuff and the third one is partially filled with other stuff. I just ran down to remind myself what was in that drawer unit and well - I should get rid of a couple of things that are in that unit. OK - a job for today.

Does anyone work on Project Linus blankets for kids? I found these six skeins of yarn and it's up for grabs. But I would prefer that it be used for Project Linus. So if you knit or crochet for that organization and you live close to me - this could be yours.

Yarn to be donated to Project Linus
 I also found these three skeins which would also work for Project Linus. It's all together in one bag once I find someone who works for this charity.

More yarn to be donated

Today's task is to move a cabinet that's sitting beside the long arm and it needs to be in that storage room. Hmm - not a ton of room to maneuver down there, but I need the shelf to put stuff on once I sort through it.

Oh my - I'm unearthing stuff. Stuff that got shoved into boxes and bags just because I didn't know what to do with it or it didn't have a home. Now that most things have homes, it should be easy to get stuff back where it belongs but it's going to take time. I have a feeling that there is going to be a lot of stuff piled in the corner when the group comes next week. But I'm OK with that. Once I start on the books and magazines, that'll free up a lot of room. My priority is to find the thread for the long arm.

Got a HUGE day planned today and it's not in Studio B. I've got blog posts to prep so I've got everything organized and ready to sew, write, and edit all day. Let's see how far I get.

Have a super day!!!!

Ciao!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment