Tuesday, July 23, 2019

It doesn't get any better than this...................

Well, things could be totally organized and stay that way!  That would be best, but in the meantime, I can't complain. Both studios are in very good shape. Things are put away. I spent some time very early this morning going through some bags and boxes and taking out things and putting them in their home. You know - those little boxes that seemed like a good idea at the time. The little box of sewing supplies that you carry around in your Monday sewing bag but never use. The box is empty now and if I start to take my sewing machine to Monday sewing again, I'll restock it.

Spools of thread are back where they belong, pins are in the pincushion, needles in the needle box and so on. It feels amazing to have this stuff taken care of. I'm obsessive and what I'm afraid of is that the pendulum is swinging into that organized mode and you won't be able to leave a glass on the counter without me whisking it away. I'm not quite there, but I see that happening!

The laundry basket is currently sitting in Studio U and needs to be brought down to Studio B and stuff put away. This is mostly because the homes of some things have been unearthed and time to put stuff away.

Anyway - it'll all happen. I'm happy with the progress. I'm tackling a stack of boxes and trying to empty three to four boxes of books a day. Remember, these are NOT full boxes. I can see a dent in the pile so that's the good news.

OH NO --- I just went to upload today's photos and I ran out of room!!!!!! CRUD!!!!!!

I bit the bullet and bought more! It wasn't expensive, but I do need to get into that e-mail and delete, delete, delete!!!!

This is some of the stuff that I'm unearthing. I found this little bag. It came from a Dutch store. I do believe I bought it at the Dutch store in Chatham when I passed through there on my bike a couple of years ago. What's in the bag????

Something bought at the Dutch store

A cute little pair of orange wooden shoes!!!!  I know that I don't need more of this kind of stuff, but these are kind of cute. I just need to find a nice spot to display some of these small items. OH MY GOD - I'm turning into my mother. I swore I'd never have little knick-knack things that require dusting! A few are OK - my mom had hundreds.

Mini orange wooden shoes


What are your thoughts on making do? Instead of buying something new - why not make do with what you already have? Have you thought of buying second hand? God forbid that we wear hand me downs. Here's an article about making do that Judi posted on her Facebook page a couple of days ago. I really think that we need to start doing more of this. We've got to make do with what we have. Whether that's dishes, clothes, kitchen gadgets, fabric! We've got to STOP buying stuff.

There 's so much about decluttering and refolding your closets, but why are we buying so much in the first place??  Are we buying to impress others? Are we buying to impress ourselves? Are we buying because we're bored?? Think about that the next time you go out to buy something. For the last little while, I've started to shop with my eyes. I go out and I browse and I look. I might come home with one thing or many times now I walk out of a shop and have bought nothing.

OK - speaking of buying stuff, here's two items that I recently purchased. For years, I've been scouring the thrift stores for a denim jacket and Scrabble games. I've not found either in all the years I've been searching. Then earlier this month, I found a nice denim jacket.

On a whim, I stopped at my local thrift store and guess what? I found another denim jacket AND a Scrabble game. This is AWESOME. I have plans for the denim jacket next month and if I screw up, I have a backup and if things go well, I can do two different looks. Technically, I don't need that Scrabble board but after looking for one for years, I had to buy it!!!



Denim jacket found at the thrift store

Scrabble board found at the thrift store

Speaking of getting rid of things, I still have TWO of these label panels. They are $11 each. I believe there are 24 labels on each panel. E-mail me if you want one. They are super easy to run through the inkjet printer so you can gorgeous labels. Here's the link to the tutorial.

Label panels for sale
Here's a couple of giveaways today. These are two identical picture frames. They have World's Greatest Quilter's Grandchildren written on the top. I don't need them. They are up for grabs.

Picture frames up for grabs

I also have a brand new (still in the cellophane) deck of playing cards. Does anyone still use cards these days? Well - they are up for grabs for free as well. Let me know if you want them.

Playing cards - up for grabs


I did get a quilt done yesterday and it's trimmed and ready for binding. I also got some work done on my gingerbread block. I'll post those pictures tomorrow.

My studios are super neat and clean. Which one will I work in today? And what will I do? Well, there's loads to be done, but I'd better keep my butt at the computer as there's a bit of computer work to do this morning.

Don't forget that you can read QUILTsocial today. I'm playing with the Husqvarna Viking Opal 690Q.

Have a super day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

10 comments:

  1. If no one asks for your cards, you could check with a nursing home. They often take those kinds of things. I gave my father's nursing home a lot of those figurines that used to come in Red Rose teabags. They used them as prizes for their weekly Bingo game. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Torry -- good idea. OH GOD - I have a box of those REd Rose teabag figurines somewhere. Haven't unearthed that yet!!!

      Delete
  2. Consumption: People are amazed I have so few clothes. I buy when it's about to bust through from wear. I start at the thrift store, then the discount store, then the warehouse store and only at the actual mall if nothing else provides the article I need.

    I've seen articles saying: if a dish is chipped, throw it out. Not me. Drinking glasses yes-that could cut a lip.

    I'm a terrible consumer...I detest shopping. I can wear the same thing for a week with no concern. 28y in our home and we still have empty space and it's not a big home.

    It's all money in the bank! We learned in our early 30s to value every purchase in hours of life (price of item divided by hours to earn it). A VERY helpful tool in money management.

    It's one of my soapboxes in life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH - that's brilliant!!!! I so agree with you on buying stuff. A chip on a dish is no reason to buy a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may want to check your junk mail. I know I sent an email while you were at Quilt Canada asking for the label panels, but didn't hear back. The may be others emailing about your things and not getting through? I emailed whatever account is linked to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH -- so sorry to have missed that!!! I'll check the junk mail. I do, but not often enough.

      Delete
  5. Hahah, I love this one! When I was packing up I gathered up all my portable sewing bags and amalgamated everything inside of them. I found measuring tapes, spools of threads, scissors, needles and a bunch of other notions. And pins, just when I thought I needed to buy new ones because I was running out. By the time I emptied all the pincushions and finished some UFOs which were pinned together, I had enough to never have to buy them again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL --- yep - I have a feeling that when I do the same, I'm going to find a nice little stash of tools. Why do we do that???

      Delete
  6. Elaine, I have to share my weekend with you... mom died last December and even though her house had been sold the year before and most of the big stuff was gone, my sister had her two spare bedrooms full of 'things' from mom including the teak furniture that was in her room in the care home. It has all been there for over 6 months and she was feeling overwhelmed. I headed to Victoria for the weekend and I made a plan for the "piles": recycling, shredding, church garage sale, church choir group,her teak furniture to sell, clothing to donate and a strange one, but medical supplies to be returned to the pharmacy. We spent two full days going through everything and returning the medical supplies earned us $700 (she had gangrene in her foot and required specialized medications and wraps). The clothing is gone, the teak furniture is sold via an online garage sale, pictures are out of frames, there is a plan for the piles that are left. I brought home over 200 greeting cards to sort and donate to MCC (they sell fast there). We ended up with one small box of memorabilia, I have her pearls and wedding ring and a box of papers to shred. I also brought home a pile of 3 hole punched white paper and tried it in my printer and it works in there. The entire time I wanted to stop, quit and walk away, I thought of you and kept plugging away at what we were doing. My sister was totally amazed at my dedication to the project and I knew what a great feeling it would be to be done and finished. And now, am even more determined to get things gone or totally organized in my own home. Time to go through our filing cabinet... going through papers is so tedious and you have to read them to see if they can be recycled or need shredding. We did enjoy some good chuckles at things we found but most overwhelming was pictures and photo albums. But we can say that mom is now totally at rest and all is calm, quiet and the chore of going through everything is crossed off our list of things to do. Thank you for encouragement even though you had no idea that you were an inspiration.
    And yes, curtail the shopping. I organized my clothes closet last week and shook my head at how much I have and don't need! Now to tackle my quilting books. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!!!!!! What a huge task, not just because of the stuff, but the emotional attachment to those things that belonged to your mother. I'm so impressed by your perserverance. I'm sure your sister (and you) are feeling much lighter these days!! I do need to tackle the paperwork in my house. I will get to it - I did set aside some days earlier this year and it worked so I need to schedule another day soon. I love how we feed off each other for motivation. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I'm so happy for you. Good luck with the quilt books!!!

      Delete