Sunday, July 7, 2019

Sewing retreat - Day Four


This morning is bittersweet. It's the last day of the retreat. We don't have to check out until 3 PM, but then you get excited to go home and so - it's not a full day. But that's OK. I feel like I've got loads done with just my 1/4" piecing foot. Although when I get home, I've got some urgent applique to do. Heck - I can't even zigzag the pieces of batting that I brought to make placemats!!! Now technically, I could borrow someone's machine, but I brought TWO sewing machines and each one had the same foot. No other feet.

I was out early on the bike yesterday. Tried a new route which I really like. There's a bit of a busy road, but since it was Saturday, it wasn't an issue. And then after 35K, I ended up at the quilt store (Thimbles and Things). There was a big sale on so of course, we all had to stop by. I ran into some of the others from the retreat house and ran into Linda and her daughter from back home. I heard that several others that I know were also there, but they had left by the time I got there.

I picked up two pieces of fabric. One of them was a bicycle fabric - I know - I said I wasn't going to buy anymore and I only bought .5 meter. I know - even .5 is too much. And then I got a Halloween border print. I know - I said I wasn't going to buy any of that either. Oh well. It was two pieces. Both have homes - I can cope with that. Rolled them up, shoved them in my jersey pocket and I was good to go.

Back to the house after a 40K ride. That was awesome. It feels so good to get out. I swear that my head completely empties of everything when I get on the bike. Of course, I'm also on high alert for cars and other things that cyclists don't like. On my new route, I thought I'd be smart and turn before I hit the quarry to avoid the truck traffic. Guess what - they were trucking in the opposite direction!!  But there wasn't much truck traffic and all of them who passed me were quite respectful.

The oatmeal is cooked. My mom would have a great laugh that I would take the time to cook oatmeal on the stove. We hated it as kids. Well, didn't hate it, but it got boring after a while. Now I eat it every day and since I can't get the microwave to work here without the oatmeal boiling over, I cook it on the stove.

I did accomplish a lot yesterday. May not look like it. The others finished piecing the blocks for our Quilts of Valour quilt. I got busy and sewed the blocks together to make our quilt.

No photo description available.
Quilt top for Quilts of Valour


I've got some backing for this one. Now to find those threads so I can get quilting.

I worked on another quilt top that I brought with me. This was from one of the kits that I rescued when Ronda and I were going through them. I cut the top before coming and I got the center part done last night. All that's left is to put the two borders on. That's exciting!!! I've got all the strips for the two borders pinned together and will start sewing as soon as I'm done here.

I can never remember what I work on the previous morning. I know I worked on something else and it'll come to me. That's so weird that I can't remember. Oh well - just getting old and forgetful. Or just sewing the projects up so fast that they don't even register that I worked on them!

I had to laugh because a while back, I packed about 10 projects in a bag for the retreat. Then I threw a few other projects into another bag. I haven't even touched the stuff that I brought in the original bag. Funny how that happens. Oh - that can wait for a rainy day at home or the next retreat. Slowly and surely, I'm working my way through this stuff.

I loaded up all the stuff that I'm not using this morning into the car so that'll be less to pack when we get ready to leave. I see the fridge is still pretty full of stuff. Hopefully, those of us who are staying for lunch can eat all those leftovers.

Ronda has been insistent on having BBQ since we started to come here. So she found two small portable (and disposable) BBQs and we had hamburgers last night. She can go home happy.

When I was out riding the other day, a darn mosquito or some other bug bite me right on my back. Upper back, right smack on my spine. It's driving me crazy and very hard to reach to put the Afterbite on. I need a buddy for that one.

Not sure how this happened, but it appears that most of us now have a retreat name. Bad enough that I had to remember everyone's real name, but now a retreat name???  It's pretty funny. And they're not nicknames - they are a proper first name. Kind of weird but always good for a laugh.

I'm off to see how quickly I can get those borders on so I can start to work on another project. I have a couple of small ones that I could get started on or I have one or two in the bag that I could work on. I might do that.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment