Friday, July 12, 2019

Moving a mountain

I know I promised more Ultimate Blocks today - but you're getting a Studio B update instead. I'll get back to the Ultimate Blocks tomorrow.

I swear that there's never a dull day in my life. Between the girls, the fish in the pond, the Studios, the deadlines, and just life in general, there's always something crazy going on!

For the moment, that excitement is the basement. I swear I feel like an archeologist and I'm on a major dig. Not sure what I'm looking for, but let's get this dig site tidied up!

To top it off, I was at the gym the other morning. I'm laying flat on my stomach doing some stretches and I felt the muscle just above the bottom of my rib cage ripple. I know - that can't be good. Not sure what happened there, but I was a little worried based on what I'm involved in at the moment. Thankfully, it doesn't affect lifting whatsoever, but it's a pain when I move. Good grief!

After spending the morning at the computer, the afternoon at the sewing machine, napping and reading, it was time to hit Studio B to see what could be done.

Oh - first I should show you this.

I made the backing and the binding for the Quilts of Valour quilt. I also emptied the bolt of that maple leaf fabric. There's enough fabric left for one more binding - that's for the next quilt.

Quilts of Valour quilt - ready to be quilted

I also got the backing and the binding made for this quilt. This was one of the kits that I pulled and sewed at the retreat. It was completely cut and took no time to sew together. The backing and the binding are done as well - so - it goes into the "to be quilted" pile.


One more quilt to be added to the "to be quilted" pile

Let's not forget this one for my Mom. I found a nice border for it. The border is on, the binding is made and I pulled some fabric for the backing last night. So this also goes in the "to be quilted" pile.

Autumn mini quilt - ready to be quilted

So you do you see a theme here? Yes - that pile of "to be quilted" is increasing at an alarming rate and the long arm is buried in a mountain of stuff. It's time to start digging.

For the most part, I'm a pretty positive person, but when I see the mess down there, it's disheartening. I have only myself to blame for the mess. I turn the radio on and then I start with one box and then another. Slow and steady and as someone mentioned - it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

The problem is that they completely locked the long arm in with boxes on ALL four sides.

The long arm is locked in by boxes
I started off by crawling under the machine as I was going to shove a couple of boxes under the machine and get them out that way. Once I had crawled under and tried to stand up, I couldn't turn around. That's how packed it was. While I'm not the smallest person around, I'm not that big either. I literally couldn't turn!!!!

Wait - I need to show what I had to do so I would have a place to put those boxes that were behind the long arm.

Remember that little hidey-hole I was unearthing the other day??? I managed to get this cabinet in place way back in the corner. That's good - it gets it out of the sewing area.

Cabinet tucked in a corner

Behind that cabinet is a whole other stack of boxes. Right where I need to put the tubs with the "to be quilted" pile. So the previous night, I dug out enough space to put the tubs.

The home for the "to be quilted" tubs

This was filled with two rows of boxes about five high with books, magazines, and other stuff. The books and magazines got loaded onto the shelving and the other boxes just got moved. I can only deal with so much at once. My goal is to free the long arm and to have the sewing area clear. The rest can wait.

After I crawled under the long arm a couple of times, I thought I'd better free up one of the ends and work that way. So I managed to clear one of the ends of the long arm. Of course, it was the furthest from where the boxes needed to go.

A clear path to the back of the long arm

That made it much easier to work and box by box, I managed to clear the space behind the long arm. None of the boxes had to be unpacked - just moved.


The space behind the long arm is mostly free
Once that was done, it was time to tackle the other end - now that I could get to it. Those boxes are just there temporarily. I'm OK with that - there's loads of room to work.

Then I worked on clearing the other side of the long arm. Yahoo--- the long arm is free!!!

The long arm is free

I'll have to wait until Sunday to plug it in and fire it up. But let's hope that everything is working fine. I need to have that thing running every day next week as I've got a lot of quilts that need to be finished. Both for me and for customers. I've only found three boxes of thread so that could be an issue, but I'll start in the area where I found the other three boxes. The only problem? The cabinet where the thread is stored has shelves. Where are the shelves???

That was a huge relief to get that done and some of you have mentioned - one box at a time. Not sure how much weight in total I moved, but let's say that it was a lot. Thank goodness my pulled muscle didn't deter me from that. I'd have been in big trouble if I couldn't lift. Yes - lift with the legs, not the back!!!!!

Not only was it lifting, but stepping over boxes while doing it. I know - dangerous, but I'm super careful. Don't nag me!!! It's done!

I also did some work on the other side. I need to get the stash room in order which will help to clear the mess that's in the main sewing area because technically NOTHING gets stored in that main sewing room, except for the books and magazines. I made decent progress. I know I'll be able to quickly "hide" everything that's on the floor so we have room to sew.

Phew - that's a relief to know that I can soon get back to work and then pick away at those boxes at a slower rate.

I did find a couple of things that are on the giveaway pile this morning. Is anyone into making teddy bears??  There's a beautiful piece of teddy bear fabric, the pattern, and the joints (he is jointed). I see that I made the two ears and that was it. Why????  No idea. There was also a bunch of other fleecy material in the box that would be good to make stuff animals or teddy bears. That's free to a good home. I have to say that I super impressed by you all. I'm not getting wild requests for stuff - people are taking what I'm pretty sure they will use. Way to go!!!!  Anyway - e-mail me if you want the teddy bear fabric and pattern.


Teddy bear pattern, fabric, and joint kit up for grabs
I also found a box of wool. There are various yardages in the box and various colors. I've made something with one of the pieces and now it's time to move on. I probably won't make anything else with it. The entire box is up for grabs - it's free.  E-mail me if you want it.


A box of wool


Now here's something else. So you know that plastic bags do not break down in the landfill. However, there are SOME bags that will if they've been made that way and I'm not sure how you tell the difference. Except to see the silly bag disintegrate before your eyes. I opened up this bag of bags to discover four bags that were in the process of breaking down. Needless to say, it's made a huge mess in the bag.

Some of the bags are made with biodegradable plastic


 That's quite interesting and I wouldn't have seen that if I didn't keep the bags!!! 

I pulled out a bunch of other stuff that was stored in the stash room and I'm working my way through that. I'll keep you up to date if there's anything else free.

On that note, it's time to get moving.

Have a super day!!!!


Ciao!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment