Wednesday, March 3, 2021

The wave of the future

 Even though I had a lot of work to do yesterday, solving the microwave problem was a priority. I downloaded the Jiffy app (a place to find service people) in the hopes that I could perhaps get the microwave fixed. I researched and found out that three different pieces can cause the microwave to stop heating. I found a service person, and they got back to me very quickly through the app. 

He STRONGLY suggested that it would cost me almost as much to have the microwave repaired as it would be to buy a new one. Not only was cost a factor in the repair, but the part would not likely last too long in an older (hmmm - must be 15 years old???) microwave. He suggested that I buy new. OK - so that was easy to figure out. Then onto the Goeman's Appliance website to see what was available. 

A microwave is a microwave - really - how different can they be? I did a webchat with a salesperson, and we went back and forth with details. I got a quote for one that would fit my space, and that was in stock. We discussed the installation options via webchat. I went back to the Jiffy app guy, and he would do the deinstall and reinstall for less than HALF of what the appliance people would do. SOLD!!

I bought the microwave which is supposed to be delivered on Thursday, and the service person is coming on Friday morning! I wasn't sure what people are doing with the pandemic. I have no problem that they come to my house, but I wasn't sure what protocols are out there since we're in lockdown. So - hopefully, I'll have a new microwave on Friday. 

The hilarious thing was that we were scheduled to have leftovers last night for dinner. OH - and how do we heat that up? I ended up putting dinner into the frying pan, and it worked like a charm. Just took a wee bit longer. 

So, what about the breakfast thing? I could have had another protein bar, but that just felt weird. Thankfully, I got an e-mail from Jackie suggesting Stoked Oats. I was off to the grocery store in the afternoon, and guess what I found? 


Stoked Oats - a new version of Oatmeal



Jackie, thanks for the tip! You can microwave this product, or you can just add boiling water. Simple! These oats are mostly rolled with things added - I prefer the steel cut texture better, but hey - I don't have a choice right now. And yes, someone already suggested that I have a new learning curve to cook oatmeal in the new microwave. Hopefully, my existing formula works. 

It wasn't until later in the day when I realized that I bought a stainless steel microwave and our fridge and stove are white. HEY - our dishwasher is stainless steel. Personally, I couldn't care less what it is - I don't even know the brand. I just needed a new one. How silly of me. But we get so caught up in the details and really - size and availability were the two most important factors. 


Diane has been busy sewing and sorting. This is a bag of flannel scraps that she isn't going to be dealing with at this point, so it came back to my house, and I'm good with that. I'll be going through it and sorting it by color. Then I can sew the scraps together to make blocks, and we can use those blocks to make more quilts. I love doing that kind of thing, and I might just book a day to make that happen. 

Flannel scraps


While I was at the grocery store, I had a peek at the magazines and came home with two. I know - I shouldn't have, but I have hardly purchased a magazine over the past year; I figured I deserved a treat. 

Two new magazines



Hmm - I haven't heard back from anyone regarding the 1988 Piecemaker's Calendar. I'm guessing that's going to be a lost cause, and I'll have to wait to get it from Carol's estate!!

Here's something else that I came across over the Virtual Retreat. Paul was chatting about his friend Micheal who lives in New York. Micheal had a couple of placed quilts in the American Quilter's Society challenge "New Quilts from Old Favorites". So I dug out my collection. 


New Quilts from an Old Favorite books



Then I did a bit of digging. Oh my  --- there are quite a few that I do not have. Ohio Star, Mariner's Compass, Pineapple, Storm at Sea, Bear's Paw, Seven Sisters, Sawtooth, Burgoyne Surrounded, Baskets, Jacob's Ladder, Caroline Lilly, New York Beauty, Flying Geese, Bow Tie, Oak Leaf and Reel, Wheel of Fortune. Although some of those sound very familiar - I must look at the covers to see if I recognize some of them. Then they can be filed together. 

Check out the link - they are taking a break from this contest and have a wide range of themes. 

Speaking of the quilt top that I finished yesterday, here's the quilt top again. 



Someone asked for the name of the pattern. It's called Quilter's Patch by Edyta Sitar. You can check out the quilt on her web page. 

And Sophie sent me this picture yesterday, which was hilarious. I taught this quilt as an ongoing class at The Hobby Horse several years ago. Actually, I think it was 2017. In the original pattern, there's a cat in the garden. I switched it up for Lexi and Murphy. Here's a picture of me in the class showing my girls on the block. 



Lexi and Murphy on the quilt block


Oh gosh -- look at my hair!!! A tad bit shorter than right now!!

I know that you've had a couple of days off from the decluttering process. Here's a suggestion from Diane. Go to the furnace room or the cold room or wherever you have stored old frames/pictures. Dig them out and decide what to do with them. I still have that frame of that fantasy poster sitting in the office. It's been a bit of a time challenge these days, so I haven't dealt with it. 

I bet if you searched on Pinterest for old frames, there would be loads of things to do with frames. Or take out whatever you have in them and donate the frames if they are still in good condition. The glass in my frame is broken, and so without the glass, the frame is pretty worthless. It also wasn't an expensive frame, so I need to take the picture out. Actually, I have some errands to do on Saturday with the car, and I might just deal with that poster on Saturday. The frame goes in the garbage, but I have a couple of ideas of what to do with the picture. 

It's hard to believe that we're halfway through the week already. The days seem to be blurring together with all the prep work. The days are getting light so much earlier now - that's exciting, and I didn't freeze yesterday even without the flannel-lined pants. It's much warmer today, so I can't wait to go for a walk. Most of the ice is GONE from the sidewalks. Yeah!!!

I did something last night that I don't usually do - I sat up quite late and listened to an audiobook scheduled to go back this morning at 5:53 AM. And yes - it went back at 5:54 AM. So I sat in my comfy chair and listened to the book for a couple of hours. Yes - I had to go back a couple of times because I nodded off. I wasn't doing anything else but listening - I NEVER do that. 

This book is DISTURBING. It's disconcerting, but as a thriller? Oh yes - it's a great book. Another new Canadian author. Hannah Mary McKinnon. The book was Dear Sister. I'll be mulling those details in my head for days - gosh - it was disturbing and evoked a TON of emotion. To me, when the book pulls you in and grabs you and makes you want to cry or feel compassion for the characters, that's a good book. 

On that note, I'm out of here!!

Have a super day!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment