Wednesday, November 9, 2022

A humbling day

I've been humbled! Someone thought I was getting along too well, and I was brought to my knees. Personally, I think someone has a voodoo doll of me and stuck pins in my head! My sinuses just had a field day with me yesterday, and I was brought down! 

That and the damn phone, which I'll mention in a minute. 

During Monday's sewing, we had been chatting about sleeping. Yes -- I have my bad nights, just like everyone else. For the most part, I have zero trouble sleeping. On Monday night, I went to bed and fell asleep. At midnight, I was woken abruptly by Murphy, who decided to alert us that something was in the backyard. Thanks, Murphy! 

I had a bit of trouble falling back asleep. Last night, I slept like a log even though I had napped extensively throughout the day. The sinus issue just drained me, and I had done hardly anything during the day, as you'll see. 

No pills could help me -- I took one, and it did nothing. Sigh -- I guess we're just going to have days like that. Of course, it didn't help that I was in the garage for part of the morning. So -- the lawn furniture did NOT get put away, but this happened. Actually, it took about a half hour to do the tidy-up. That's the beauty of being organized -- no one area takes long to clear because there isn't much to clear, but some things needed to be put away. 

I took those two pieces of chain and finally hung up two of my four bikes. 

Bike storage

The little pieces of fabric I added to the chain are to protect the paint on the bikes. I think in all the time since we installed that rack, this is the first winter the bikes are actually up there! It's not pretty, but they are off the floor. 

Then I got to work and tidied up the rest of the garage, and this is how it looks now. 

The garage is pretty clear

If we really wanted, we could easily put both cars in the garage. That big long box is from my long arm, and it really needs to be shoved to one side, so it's not in the way. I think it's been in the middle of the garage for 15 years! Those darn garbage carts are so huge that they take up space. But let's say we can park one car in the garage without doing anything else. 

At some point, I need to clean off that workbench. There's a lot of stuff that no longer needs to be there, and I'll aim for the spring to do that. 

OK -- so let's talk about the cell phone. I had trouble with it a while back, where it keeps cutting out, and people can't hear me. I've tried standing by the window, and sometimes, I must go outside. Sometimes that works, sometimes it does not. Seriously? What is with this? And, of course, my carrier tries to blame it on the phone, and the phone company blames it on the carrier. 

Do I want to deal with it? No -- my solution is DO NOT talk on the phone. If you want to contact me -- text me! I've spent quite a bit of time the last two days on various phone calls -- I mean LONG phone calls and that has eaten into my quilting time. Since I don't trust it downstairs, I stand by the window to make the call, which is a total waste of time! I think the contract is up in February, meaning I'm due to get a new one -- I'll be there the minute this contract runs out! 

As a result, I got only ONE quilt done yesterday. This is one more for Quilts of Valour. 

Quilts of Valour quilt

I have three more and two days in which to get them done. So one day, I have to do two, and I don't want to leave it until the last day. So today --- NO PHONE calls. Wait, there is one that I have to make as I will be in Windsor this weekend at Thimble Quilts and Sewing in Windsor, Ontario! If you are in the area, drop in to say hi! They are a Husqvarna Viking dealer! 

I also managed to get some embroidery done, but I will keep that under wraps until after the embroidery club this weekend. I have homework to prepare for this weekend, and well, I better not have a repeat of yesterday as I don't have time to be down! 

I did no tidying in Studio B, but this has been sitting on a table, and it needs to go. It's a serger cover for a four-thread serger. I no longer have a four-thread serger, and the person who bought mine did NOT like the pink cover. It's free for the taking if you want it. 

A serger cover is up for grabs!

This is Miss Murphy on our walk. She spotted a stick, grabbed it, and proudly carried it several hundred feet before dropping it. 

Murphy with her stick

She loves sticks, and of course, there are plenty in the forest, and I'm not sure why she grabs one every once in a while. I think all the sticks have been cleared up in the backyard, so I threw a couple over the fence when we passed by on our walk. 

New sticks for Murphy

I also had a visitor yesterday, which ate up more time, but that's OK. We had a grand chat and solved the world's problems. As if we even got close to that. Of course, the girls are there like dirty shirts, needing to be the center of attention and they tried to entertain us with their wrestling. 

Lexi and Murphy wrestling

I've mentioned before that Lexi is pretty skittish and doesn't like new things. However, the superiority she gets from sleeping on the couch (a habit that DH showed her was OK, even though we put furniture on it) beats the skittishness. 

I was stunned when she jumped up ONTO the furniture that was on the couch. 

MOM -- this is MY spot - Dad said so! 

And she proceeded to sleep right on the table. Sigh.................

MOM -- this is comfortable and Murphy can't get me here!

I don't even know why we put furniture on the couch any longer. OH -- we don't want Murphy to sleep there. But Lexi could sleep there for hours; Murphy would not. 

And so, while I had a prolonged nap after dinner, here were the girls. Lexi was stretched out on the other side of the couch, while Murphy napped on the floor, where it was cooler. 

Batman (I mean Lexi) asleep on the couch

Murphy is much cooler on the floor

And I just heard the furniture on the couch move, so I suspect Lexi has wedged herself back up there. It's not like they don't have other spots to sleep!

After my prolonged nap on the couch, I went to bed, and I slept through the night. I suspect I'm so dehydrated that I was exhausted. I've already taken a pill, so hopefully, that will combat anything that tries to attack me today. I didn't even get the backing for the next quilt together. It's trimmed and beside the sewing machine, ready to piece together. I'll be behind the eight-ball all day today!

I'm off to spin class this morning, and then I'll be downstairs with my nose to the grindstone to get that second quilt done, leaving one more for tomorrow! And I desperately need to get to the computer to answer some e-mails! 

Have a super day!!!



  1. I hate to say this out loud but I will. Have you considered a covid test? You were around a lot of people indoors last week!

  2. The cell phone coverage in our house is poor too. We set up our phones to call over WiFi, using our internet. It works well and now I don't have to drive down to the road to get a signal to make a call. It's just a setting on the phone, so it was easy to set up.

    The amount of quilting you've done lately for community quilts and QOV is amazing! Very impressive !
    Sharon F

  3. Still sounds like a lot done even feeling bad. Your girls are beautiful 😻