Sunday, August 14, 2011

My European Vacation - Dave Five - The Hunchback of Notre Dame

We knew we were going to run into line ups today - yeah - something to look forward to!!

Hopped on the bikes (I have to laugh because we can always easily get the first one unlocked - that is because M is standing right there and I have to run to get to the second one and so many times - it doesn't disconnect in time - then I have to start the process all over again! - but we are getting good!!!!   As M says - if we did NOT have cameras - we would look just like the locals!!!!

We grabbed some pastries at our favourite little bakery and then got in line to view the towers at Notre Dame. The line- up wasn't so bad, but it was only 9:30 and the gates do not open until 10.00 AM. As we were standing there, I overheard the couple in front of us talk about  their chicken and rice dinner on the plane (in Canadian English). I asked if they had flown Air Canada - No Air Transit (same food as us!!!). They were from Oakville and we passed the time in the line chatting to them.

Before we knew it - it was our turn to enter the tower. M is lucky because she doesn't have to pay for a lot of the historical things - I guess that is to encourage the young people to visit these national treasures!  Anyway - we climbed to the top - up up the tiny twisty stairs. OK - so now I want to read The Hunchback of Notre Dame!!!!  What a view from the top and amazing to see how worn the stairs are, the narrowness of walking across the facade and the view. Of course hard to describe walking through something that is so historic and OLD!!!!!!   Our country isn't even as old as the length of time it took to build the cathedral.

Then all too soon - it was time to walk down. I think the couple behind us were a tad afraid of the stairs down as they were a LONG way behind us.

We then got into the line to enter the cathedral. Even though I had already been through - my memory card was NOT in my camera and M needed to see the inside. The weather was threatening rain, but the line went quickly and we were in!!!   We had a good look around and when we went to purchase the memorative coin - I did not have the right change and the small counter selling religious stuff wouldn't give me any change.

The noon mass was about to start so we stayed for that!!!!  How about that - two Canadians (non-Catholic) who do not go to church, but we go to mass at Notre Dame - in French no less. Why not!!


When we got out - we found a great little cafe for lunch. Omelets seem to be our thing for lunch. Very tasty - and then a walk down the tourists shop area to pick up a few things. Crap - it seemed that as soon as we bought some postcards or photos - we found something better at the next one. I mean - it was very weird. Next time - we need to do the entire length and THEN do our purchases. It wasn't a big deal, but maddening at the same time.

I finally persuaded M that we have to do the last step of the 6 part multicache that I had unearthed all the clues for the day before - well a couple of days ago. So we plug in the coordinates and once we got to the area - before I could even read the rest of the description - M shouts (well - she sasy) - FOUND IT!!!!!   Cool little spot - I think Jim and Marian need to do this one when they come!!!!   It was a lot of fun.

By now we are EXHAUSTED and ride our bikes back to the hotel, but NOT before we stop at BHV which is similiar to The Bay back home. On our first day - I had seen something that I liked, but not sure if I should buy. I decided WHY NOT and we went in and bought it. And what is it you ask?????   Why it is a HUGE letter E that you can decoupage!!!!!   I know - they had a HUGE craft department in this store and well I could have bought more stuff - but this was unique and I really really wanted it. Of course - had to carry the letter home on the bike!!!!!   Oh yeah - we are JUST like the locals!!!!!

Had a good rest up (I have really gotten into my book - which I have read before - but can't remember what happens - DUH!!!) Then back on the bikes to go down to the river for a night time cruise!!!!!!  We grabbed a bite to eat and went to the quai to buy tickets for 9:30 PM. OH MY GOD - this is the same spot - I started the multicache in - for sure - Jim and Marian have to do it.

Anyway - we were a tad concerned as we got on the boat - no lights in the city on yet. Would it be dark enough?????   And just as we were wondering some more - BOOM - the lights started to come on!!!!   The boat starts off and the first thing our of the guides mouth - on the left is The Louvre. We both look at each other and say "how did The Louvre get so close?"  It was hysterical. But then it really is down town - we just had not walked that far.

The tour was amazing - the Eiffel Tower at night is spectacular and all the other sites. It was a definite thing to do.

We had decided to not ride the bikes back to the hotel as it was 10:30 PM. A quick glance at the map and correlated to the Metro map and we were on our way home. I have said before that the location of our hotel is PERFECT. Here is one of the reasons why - it is one of the transfer stations in the metro system. That means that from pretty much anywhere in Paris - you are close to a line that goes through Republique Metro. Three stops and we were back home!!!!!

Although we were tired on the way home - once we arrived at the hotel we weren't tired any more and neither of us could sleep. So we read quite late (which is why I am exhausted today!!!!)

Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!!! (Bonjour!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment