Tuesday, August 2, 2011

It's GREAT to be HOME!!!!!

As far as a travel day could go - my day was PERFECT!!!!   I left my brother's at 7:30 AM. Had a beautiful drive to the airport. Almost forgot to fill the car up with gas. I hate that decision when you rent a car - fill up the car yourself (got to make sure that you plan the extra time and know where the gas station is) or do you buy the tank from the rental company - then you have to make sure that the tank comes back almost empty. Well I am cheap and decided it was best to fill the car myself.

Besides they are going to have fun CLEANING the car. What do you think?????

Saskatchewan DUST!!!!!   The entire back window was covered at one point and we didn't spend that much time on the gravel road

BUGS!!!!!!!

Oh yeah - there are a LOT of bugs. LOTS and LOTS of mosquitoes and lots of dragonflies


I packed less in my bike box so it would be easy for me to handle on my own, but then I had two duffle bags.  Which meant that I was going to have to pay $20 for each of TWO extra bags, plus $50 handling fee for the bike. When I tried to check in online the cost was silly. I ended up doing the old fashioned check in and was charged for only ONE extra bag and the bike. Yeah!!!!!

I must say - the Saskatoon airport needs to fix their doors into the airport. They are single doors and have you tried to put a bike sideways through a single door????   Had to unload the cart and hand carry some stuff into the airport. But that was the WORST thing that happened all day.

Got everything checked in - the bike box was inspected and then sealed and I went to wait for a few minutes before boarding the plane. Arrived in Toronto and once we landed we had to wait for 5 - 10 minutes in the hallway before we could get into the airport.

Once I arrived in the baggage hall (where the heck did everyone else go????? ) I waited a few minutes and my luggage arrived. I mean there was NO ONE else at the carousel. They must have got lost getting off the plane - I was the ONLY one from my flight waiting for luggage. Then I went and got my bike - no wait there either. I think the flight landed at 3:15 and I was out of the airport within 20 minutes!!!!!!!!    How cool was that.

I love GOOD travel days.


Home to deal with the mail........

ICK!!!!!!   I did manage to rip through it very quickly. Those new organization skills made it easy. 
But not before I was greeted by TWO VERY HAPPY DOGS!!!!!!!    Sparky and Sammy were all over me - happy that I was home and I was happy to see them!!!!!!

However yesterday was a WRITE-OFF!!!!!   Once I did get up (which was very late for me), I just had no energy. I ended up going back to bed and stayed there for a good part of the day. I did read a book, but otherwise did NOTHING. Actually felt great to not be entertained or entertain anyone.

And I am trying to sort out all the goodies that I brought home. I'll share them from time to time with you.

First project - this is a pattern from a number of years back.

 UFO

My plan was to make this quilt from 30s fabric and a neutral cream. I even had most of it cut out......


Strips and squares already cut

There was no time before I left to make up a shopping list. At one of the stores, I discovered some 30s in orange. Hey - I could add to my project. Well I found a few more. Then when I went through my project box last night - I discovered this......


Oh my - TWO purples and FOUR oranges that I already had purchased

Perhaps I DID NOT need to buy all these oranges.........


Oranges I bought on my trip. Can you believe that there were NO duplicates!!!!    That was a fluke!!!!!


Hmmm - maybe I need a few more purples????  Well not that this is my priority but I think I am going to finish cutting this project on an upcoming Monday and it will be one that I can take on our upcoming retreat!!!!!   


Let's see - what else did I buy????  Oh yes - some buttons.......


Buttons - I love buttons and these will be perfect for a kitchen themed quilt that I want to make. 

And look at these buttons........



These buttons are JUST BECAUSE - I LOVE orange and an entire bag of orange buttons - how awesome!!!!!!!

And I actually got my sewing machine going this morning!!!!   I am teaching a class on the weekend - One Block Wonder and it would be great if I could get this sample finished. I already have one done, but why not push and get this done and then I can free up my design wall for something else. 

One block wonder!!!  
At this point - I have no idea what needs to be sewn. I had tidied up pretty good before I left!!!!  I think I will just focus on one thing at a time. Oh yes - I had better work on the round robin FIRST so I can pass it to Carol. 

One house I visited on vacation had beautiful baskets with quilts in it all over the house. I just love the look so while I was at the thrift store yesterday (OK - so yes - I did get out of bed for a bit!!!), I found this basket. While it isn't the colour that I would have chosen, it was a nice basket and it was cheap. Got to dig up another quilt for the other side. I just LOVE LOVE this look. Hmmmmm- when Miss K comes to visit I might need to put all these away. Well I only have one basket right now!!!!
Quilt in a basket

 And when I was going through my mail - guess what I found. Someone sent me this beautiful fabric postcard as a thank you. How thoughtful. Thank you Sheree!!!!!   I've already got it up on my bulletin board.

 



Well I see it is 8 AM and I have a crazy day. Yes - I have a quilt to work on, but my priority is to get my knee looked after. I popped a muscle (I mean I heard it go POP) four weeks ago and it has become a pain to walk on. Somehow I don't think he is going to prescribe me a pill and tell me I will be fine. This is going to take some time and pain to fix. CRAP!!!!!!   At least it didn't screw up the bike trip!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!

1 comment: