Friday, August 19, 2011

My European Vacation - Day Eleven - Serendipity


Before I get into the details of today - let me tell you about the bugs. You read the story of the spider and I think I said there were NO bugs in Paris. Actually we have been very lucky - there really are very few bugs around. We had read in the hotel literature that it was NOT a good idea to leave the windows open at night in Brugge because of the mosquitoes. Because of all the water (canals) it is a prime breeding area for them. Well we opened the window and had a few buzzing around, but not many. Have you ever wondered how stupid a mosquito is anyway? I mean they have your entire body to attack and at night (even if your arms and legs are hanging out the edge of the bed), the darn things always buzz around your head and thus get killed. No brains obviously.

Well I have to say that SOMETHING bite my leg the other morning. The are around the bite swelled up but thank goodness was NOT itchy as I did NOT bring anything for that. Today it is a very pronounced red spot. What bite me???   Who knows - maybe that giant spider in the bath tub!!!!

OK - onto what happened today. It was travel day again!!!   Our last until we hit the airport in a couple of days. We headed out to the train station after barely getting all the zippers and what not closed on our luggage. Well I am not bad compared to M - her suitcase is HEAVY. Although she has packed lighter than in previous trips - she still brought a LOT.

Funny how when you walk about to the train station (Oh yeah - no TAXIS for us!!!!!! - which meant that you are making a lot of noise as the wheels of your luggage bounces along the cobbled streets and sidewalks!!!!!). You could always hear from a long way away when someone was approaching with their suitcase!   Anyway - after being in Brugge for three days - we knew our way to the train station and when we were almost there - there was the spot that we stopped the first day to try and figure the streets out. It was much easier coming from the hotel to the train than the other way around.

I approached the ticket counter with a fear of how much these tickets were going to cost. I was VERY surprised at the cost of our tickets from Paris to Brugges - 160 E for both of us. I was a bit shocked, but paid the price as we had to get there. Since it was farther to our next destination - I expected the worst! But no it cost 80E for both of us - HALF the price. Did I get fleeced in Paris?????    Now there were a few differences of course between the two trains -- the first train from Paris to Brussels was very nice and we had assigned seating, but NO we were not in first class. Then we transferred from Brussels to Brugge on a general train with no specific seating and it made a number of stops along the way. I think there might have been one stop on the first leg. This trip - well - it must have been the milk run (and hence the difference in price), but we stopped a LOT. Then we got off in Antwerp to change trains. From Antwerp we took a similiar train (no assigned seats) and it was also a milk run, but we did end up in the right destination - AMSTERDAM. Yeah. I have to say that trains in Europe are VERY easy to use - the directions, signage is tp notch and there were no problems. I think we left at 11:18 and arrived around 3 PM. And those trains are ALWAYS on time, although we did hear that trains to the airport were cancelled because of some signal problem and people had to take a difference train to the airport.

Well out the station and yes - there was the bike park that I remembered from last year. It is just HUGE. Then to pick a street to find our hotel. I was CERTAIN that it was to the right so we started off that direction, however I could NOT find the right street name. Finally asked someone - ooops - a bit too much to the right so we backtracked. Then asked one more time and YES - we were very close.

As I am making a beeline to the hotel - M is shouting something behind me. What is she blabbering about????   Mom - quilt store - quilt store - quilt store!!!!!!    WHAT??????   No way - yep - apparently our little adventure took us right past the quilt store. How convenient was that?????  I took that other street ON PURPOSE!!!!!!  

Anyway we arrived at the hotel and I dumped my stuff - then back tracked to the quilt store. I mean - there is one street to get there that seems a tad unsavoury although it is right smack in the middle of the tourist area. Well - won't go there after dark. I'll get a picture or two, but very tiny - bars, tattoo place, but also traditional souvenirs!!!!   Yes Amsterdam is a very weird place. The weirdest of all the places we have been and although our hotel is the most expensive - it is NOT nearly as big as the others. And for heavens sake - the bathroom door is glass - OK - frosted glass, but not much privacy!!!!!!

Our hotel is located on Dam Square in case anyone knows anything about Amsterdam. When I went out the front door and looked left - there is the old building right by the train station!!!!!!   Good thing we know that since the shuttle to the airport starts at 6:30 AM and we need to be at the airport long before that - so we will have to walk back to the train station.

Anyway - I zipped back to the quilt store and had a look around. Again as I knew - a lot of American stuff. Very pretty though, but I only bought ONE orange FQ and a few Dutch things. When I asked if there were any other quilt stores in Amsterdam - she said - yes - RIGHT NEXT DOOR. Yep - apparently there are two side by side!!!!!   How is that??????

Den Haan & Wagenmakers



Bird Blocks


Anyway - check them out. I love the stuff at the first one - much more traditional stuff, but is that what I really want??????   I am going back tomorrow because I could not decide on anything.

Now we are back in our hotel with the slow internet (M is NOT happy) and paper thin walls. Oh boy - I can't wait for bed tonight. I did manage to get an English novel at the train station - only 10E for a best seller. Yikes!!!!!!   It had better be good, but based on my sleeping habits the last couple of days - I hope I will just sleep all the way home!!!!!!  

Anyway - M is napping now and I will check out a place to eat. Crap - there is KFC and McDonalds right at the hotel door. But if we want something quick - I might be persuaded!!!!!

There you have it - our last stop.

Oh yes - have you read some of the comments - apparently the cemetery thing happens in parts??? of Germany as well and probably a lot of other places. Pretty creepy and makes a lot of sense to go cremation and have your ashes scattered somewhere where they can no longer be disturbed!!!!!!

M and I had a grand old time on the train - started to make plans for what we would do when we got home. I have a list of SIX. Empty my closet and dresser - sort the clothes and be RUTHLESS and get rid of lots. Then the front hall needs a makeover, the dining room where nothing in it belongs to us, the kitchen that is not in bad shape, but we hardly use anything in it, the garage which just needs to have stuff delivered to the various disposal places and one other place that I can't remember. I just hope our good plans will stick with us when we get home. I have been dying all summer to hit these spots - just want to get rid of all that extra stuff that we do NOT use. I foresee some heavy duty organizing days coming up. Get ready and you can organize right along with me!!!!!   It will be fun - I am going to hit the front hall or the closet first - so be prepared. You have the weekend to rest up - next week is going to be TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK!!!!!!!!

Oh and the other thing - I want to get this blog (with all the pictures) into a book (www.blurb.com) and then maybe do some scrapbooking. Carol asked me the other if I was motivated - I said yes - TO CREATE, but not to sew right away - well at least not for other people. That is my goal - how long will I be able to stick with it!!!!!




Have a great day!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment