Thursday, August 4, 2011

What a NOVEL(ty) idea!!!!!

I like novelty fabric. I have made a number of alphabet quilts.  I chose a particular letter and then cut 6 inch squares. Each square was a different thing that started with that letter. I have made quilts with C, B and M and thought at one time that it would be neat to make one for every letter. Yes - I know - what a dumb idea!!!!!

Anyway - I have a soft spot in my pocketbook whenever I see novelty fabric. I really really try NOT to buy any more, however when I was away - well - I couldn't help myself.

Skittles or candy

gingerbread men and women!!!

cows or holsteins

dice (this is actually for someone who wants me to make them a small bag with dice on it!)

sharks

ice cream cones

beer

tractors

cup cakes

snow mobiles

nuts or hazel nuts (I think that is what they are called)

phone booth

cucumbers

whistles

Now it wouldn't be so bad EXCEPT - this is what I already have for novelty fabrics.......

Laundry basket overflowing with novelty fabric

OMG - laundry basket NUMBER TWO also overflowing with novelty fabric


See what I mean!!!!!    There is enough fabric in those two baskets to make MANY MANY novelty quilts. I had better start!

Actually when September comes - I am going to have to get better organized. There is so much to do and so much I want to do. I had better figure out my time and become EVEN MORE efficient.

The other day Marian asked me if I ever got bored of quilting. I am certainly not bored yet, but I wish I had more dedicated time to sew. Always seems to be some distractions. Sooooooo - got to figure out how to get rid of the distractions!

Yes - I am making good progress on the quilt. I am almost finished, but was getting so tired last night that I decided to leave it until today. Then got to buy some binding for it and get that on ASAP. Anyone want to come on Friday and help hand stitch down binding?????

Progress on my knee is coming along nicely. More laser and more electric current at the chiro - amazing how that can fix a muscle, but it seems to just be a muscular issue so that is good. I am working out the knots in the leg muscles as well and it seems to be helping. One more time today and then we'll see. Then off to the gym - yeah - I'm so excited about that. But since I lost a few pounds on the bike trip, there is no excuse to put them back on. And I was amazed at the chiro yesterday - he was working on a tiny baby. This baby was just a few weeks old. Sounds like the baby has colic and I guess they figure something is not right.

I managed to eek out a bit more sewing on the One Block Wonder. Here is what it looked like yesterday.....



And here is what it looks like now.....



Can you spot the difference??????


Anyway - when I was laying out the blocks - I was ONE block short - with One Block Wonder - it is luck of the draw. I didn't want to fiddle around with adding the blocks into the borders or anything like that. So I found a similar green (as close as I could get) - hey - I already told you this story. Anyway I made up the extra block this morning. I split it so it wouldn't be quite so obvious.

Top right of quilt

Top left of quilt

And only two more columns to piece and then I can stitch the columns together. Takes a while to sew just to keep the pieces in order.

While sewing these - I also managed to get two blocks sewn together. These are for someone who asks me to help them out.

Blocks for Christmas Heart Light


Hopefully today will be a relatively quiet day - HAH - it is already half booked and I still have a quilt to finish and get the binding on.

On that note - I need to lay down for 15 minutes with a cloth on my eyes - allergies or something has hit me and they are itching like crazy!!!!!


Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment