Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My European Vacation - Day eight - Brugges

Wow - it seems like we have been away for ever, not just one week.

Today was an interesting day. I got up after a pretty decent sleep - it was so quiet though last night - I wasn't sure we were actually going to fall asleep.

Had done some prep work on my geocaching and was ready to go this morning so while M was getting ready I headed out. I managed to find one (Yeah - my goal was met!), but the second one eluded me. I walked around and around the square and finally zeroed in on the area, but found nothing. It was difficult as there were people sitting in a window that looked out onto the square.


we headed out with no particular plans but to visit the city which is quite a bit larger than anticipated. While doing that - we used a series of geocaches as our guide. I managed to find four of them in very short order. The first one was funny because we had found it and were sitting on the stone wall waiting to return it when more geocachers came by. (She had a badge on her backpack!) I told them to wait a minute - we replaced the cache and then left hoping they were not going to follow us to the others which they did not.

There are two different kinds of shops in Brugges. The tourist ones filled with lace, chocolates (including chocoates shaped in the private body parts - both male and female - which M took great delight in photographing!!!. Oh yes - BElgiuan chocolate is NOT cheap - 1 KG - 38 E. Some is cheaper than that of course, but wow - it is smooth and creamy - you got to hand to them. We will pick up some on our last day here. And yes - there are the usual other souvenir stuff - T-shirts, and all kinds of things. But then there is a HUGE shopping district with regular stores, the grocery store, the newstand, etc. A very weird mix to say the least.

One thing I have noticed - polka dots are VERY popular here. That is something that we noticed last year as well. Red and white polka dots - you can find them everywhere. Of course - I have been taking pictures which I will post when I get home.

M wanted pasta for lunch which we found and then didn't eat much of it. I tell you - sit down dinners are not going very well for us. We are better to eat snacks all the time. Good grief. And for supper we had Belgian waffles with whipped cream and strawberries. I have to admit that was GOOD!!!!!

Picked up some lace - including a REAL piece made by hand - not factory made. The lady showed me a picture of her making it and you can tell from the back that it is hand made. I did NOT buy a really intricate piece - that was about 75 E and I didnt' want to pay that price, but wow - the work is so delicate and fine and when you see all the bobbins they use - well it is a wonder they come out perfect.

Well I have to say that even I am getting tired. We did a LOT of walking today and even came back to the hotel in the afternoon for a quick nap - OK - I had a nap. It is nice that our hotel is pretty much right down town so it is easy to get back here. No let me rephrase that - it is NOT easy to get anywhere here. Everything is close, but honestly - there is NO rhyme or reason as to the streets. They are all twisty and turny - nothing is straight, can't read the signs so they don't sink in. Yep - we could have easily gotten lost, but with all the cathedrals in town - we were using that as our guide to get back to the hotel. Just had to find the right cathedral (which you could see the tower!!!!).

Observations we have made about Bruges

1. There is no easy way to get from A to B. It is all little streets
2. While lots of people ride bikes - cars DO NOT care about bikee. They have less patience that the FRench.
3. All houses have a pointy roof - I mean there is an attic in them which is not like Paris.
4. All streets are cobblestone which are a pain to walk over
5. Every second shop is a chocolate shop
6. Most people speak English to some degree so we are fine language wise
7. Church bells DO NOT chime lound - just a nice soft ringing - it is very pleasant and not disturbing in the least
8. The cancels that cut through the city seem to be only used to tour visitors around
9. It seems to get very quiet here once the shops close - although we hear people passing by - they are rare and seem to be just tourists
10. The weather (like Paris) is weird. One minute it is cool, then hot, then cold, then warm. We have NO IDEA what to ear, but managing with shorts and a sweater!!!!!

It is now 7 PM. we are exhausted and have crashed on the bed with our computers!!!

I might go out and try some geocaching when it gets quieter - there are a few more around the hotel, but in busy places. So while it has quieted down here, it may still be busy in the main square - which we found. My sense of direction while still in good order is being tested to the max with all the twisty streets.

Have a good day!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment