Monday, September 19, 2011

How to DO a quilt show in ONE HOUR!!!!

As usual I had plans for the day - finish the small community project quilt, get another small customer quilt done and start on a bigger one.

Next thing I know - I am rushing to get the community project done and that was it!!!!  The rest of the day - well   things changed.

Oh shoot - I didn't take a picture of the small quilt and it is already in the car ready to be dropped off today. I will get a picture later.

Then I collected all of Kaylee's stuff cause she was going home!!!!!   But not before I caught her having a nap with M.

Kaylee and M enjoying some rays on the hot tub!!!!

Now this dog does NOT look excited to be going home. And even when I arrived at her house and took her in - she wasn't too excited. But she did know something was up when we were driving in HER OWN VAN and she had control of the back seat. Oh yeah - now I am definitely the queen dog!!!!!   On the way home from the airport - she just laid her head on Aunt Betty's lap and went to sleep. Totally bored!!!!!!

Then I rushed back to catch a ride with Mary who was going to a quilt show at the other side of the city!!!!!   Yikes with the traffic - we arrived and had ONE HOUR to visit the show, shop at the vendors. Mary had to pick up her new sewing table (made of solid wood). It looks pretty sturdy!!!


Anyway here are some pointers to help you through your next quilt if you are squeezed for time.......

Step One - make sure you have a camera and lots of space on the disk and battery power. Then you can take countless pictures of things without having to memorize all the details.
Step Two - make sure you take lots of detailed pictures so you will remember all the details.
Step Three - don't waste time talking to anyone
Step Four - if you are with a friend - split up. You can see much more on your own than with someone else
Step Five - after 1/2 hour move onto the vendor's mall
Step Six - Skip the vendors you have already seen this year (and those that you know cause they will want to chat and waste time!)
Step Seven - don't lag - if you see something you like - BUY IT!!!!

And that is how we did the show. We even had a few minutes to spare!!!!

I won't show you all the pictures I took, but here are a few that I really liked.

One block wonder - I wonder what the original fabric was????   High contrast, floral and black background. I love this!!!!!

And another - OK - so I can't get enough of these. Again - no original fabric sample, but lots of good colours. 

An unusual pattern - diamond wedding ring. I've never seen this one before

Yo-yo log cabin

Made with men's ties - beautiful

Another unusual pattern


All in all - there were some very nice quilts there. Lots of talent.

Then we moved to the vendor's mall and I managed to pick up a few things. Going with a time limit is a good thing.......

MORE Halloween fabric. I could NOT help myself. Hey - I only bought ONE pack of the squares. I was going to buy TWO!!!!!

Appropriate fabric for a dog lover!!!!

Cool vintage sewing machines!!!!   They also had scissors, measuring tapes and judys, but I held back!!!

Good old Maxine!!!!

And how could I NOT buy these buttons!!!!!


Then back home and get more paper piecing done on Dragon Star. Then this morning I realized I made a mistake. DRAT. However the mistake will probably not be noticeable so I am not redoing any part of it. You see the flying geese go around the border. I was using 10 fabrics and had them in order. However when I picked up a section - it was the WRONG section so I might have them out of order. I doubt anyone will notice so I am NOT worrying about it!!!!!   See how much I have changed!!!!!!


More embroidery done as well, but I was tired so off to bed early. Only problem with that - well I was up very early this morning. I MUST get that nap in or I am toast!!!!

Trying to devise a plan to get more stuff done - not just half done. I'll let you know if I find the secret to that!!!!

Speaking of getting more stuff done - I happened upon this blog the other day and guess what - they have Mystery Mondays!!!!!   Oh yeah - a project (that is a mystery) and every Monday you get a new set of instructions. Check it out.......


This & That Patterns

and here is the link to her blog.......

This & That BLOG

The first Mystery Monday starts TODAY. Today you get the materials list. Next week it is the cutting instructions. You can see from her web site that a lot of her patterns are small, cute and should be fun!!!!

Yep - just what I need - another project!!!!!

Well I have a couple of sewing days coming up and a retreat and starting to get my stuff organized for that!!!   You can NEVER be too ready for a quilting day!!!!Fortunately - I have a LOT of stuff that is cut and ready to sew!!!!  It is just a question of choosing which one to take.

Well - got to go - more paper work stuff to deal with this morning and then it is MONDAY MOTIVATORS!!!!   Yeah - my favourite day of the week.


Have a great day!!!!


Ciao!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment