Sunday, September 11, 2011

Toys and bikes!

ser·en·dip·i·ty  (srn-dp-t)
n. pl. ser·en·dip·i·ties
1. The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.
2. The fact or occurrence of such discoveries.
3. An instance of making such a discovery.



I am not sure if serendipity is the right word, but for lack of a better word - I'm sticking with serendipity. 

Yesterday I mentioned the Farm Toy Museum. Then last night I decided to read the Quilt Sampler Magazine (Fall/Winter 2011). The first store they feature is called Vintage Threads Quilt Shoppe in Dyersville, Iowa. Besides being famous for the setting of the movie Field of Dreams (from 1989 - can you believe that???), but can you guess what other attraction is in this town??????   Guess?????   

Did you guess a toy museum????   You are right!!!!!

The National Farm Toy Museum (which hosts a semiannual show) is also located in Dyersville!!!!!   How bizarre is that. 

National Farm Toy Museum   (in case you are into that kind of thing!!!)


And I found a link to an article about the Canadian Farm Toy Museum......





I hope I haven't lost you yet. Yes - this is supposed to be about quilts and bikes, but there is a reason for this. 

A while back, I was doing some research on Barbie and in my quest for things Barbie - I found this......

Barbie's plastic bike!!!

Then when in Amsterdam checking out the tourist shops, I came across this. I did NOT buy it right away for two reasons. One - how to get it home and second the cost. After much debate with myself - I decided to go back and get it. After all the stuff about the toy museums - I finally unpacked it yesterday. It is not the BEST!!!!!!!
Hand made CITY BIKE!!!!!!   (you could get the girl bike or the boy bike!!!)

Cool kickstand and everything

The bike really works - I mean that is a REAL bike chain!!!!!  

We found the same bike in another store for about 16 E MORE than what I paid so I was a happy camper. They put it in a box and I carried it home in a plastic bag with my GIANT letter E and everything worked out just fine!!!!!!


Maybe when I go to the toy museum, I will take my bike to show him. I LOVE the bike. The seat is a very pliable rubber. I have no idea where it was made although it says Made in INA - did they misspell CHINA?????   Probably!!!!


Now to keep some quilting aspect to this blog - I did manage to get the quilt trimmed that needed trimming and now there is a HUGE stack of quilts in the living room that are destined for delivery/pickup!!!!   Some of them are samples for upcoming classes but all has to go!!!!

Quilts ready for pickup/delivery!!!!


I did get the binding on It's a Bling Thing.....

Binding on It's a Bling Thing
And even my current novel has a quilt theme - The Sugar Camp Quilts by Jennifer Chiaviarini. I think I prefer the ones deal with the "regular" cast of characters rather than the historic ones, but it is interesting. And no bad dreams like when I was reading Dean Koontz. I don't think I will read any more of his books. I used to like books on paranormal, but I'm too boring for that now!!!!


When I was looking through my pictures yesterday trying to find the farm toys that we had as kids growing up, I came across this.....

Center block for my round robin
Yes - it is my center block for the round robin project. I wonder what they (my friends) did to it??????    I notice I didn't put a lot of orange in this block. Well - regardless I am sure I will like it. I am getting excited and I want to see it NOW!!!!!

Yesterday afternoon when I SHOULD have been in the house writing my article that is DUE NOW, I decided that it was too nice to sit in the house. The girls and I sat out on the deck and it was gorgeous. I am VERY HAPPY to report that I even ventured to get some gardening done. I couldn't really bend to get the weeds with this stupid leg. Guess what - I think it is actually better because I pulled two buckets of weeds pretty much pain free!!!!!!    While Kaylee had fun in the waterfall which is now working since they installed a new pump!!!!!      And the fish like it to - I was worried they had all died (AGAIN!!), but no - once the water got going  - they were backing swimming around. (Too many plants in there to see them properly, but they love the moving water)


Well - it is a sit n sew day. I had better get the last of the tidying done before they descend. 

Have a great day!!!!

Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment