Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tour Atlantic Day One

Wow - Sitting under a shelter and it is POURING rain!!!!!   I am going to have to stop soon because the computer is getting sprayed.

The good news is that all but one arrived in the dry and were able to get tents up and have a shower so that felt good. The other good news - I'm having fruit (apple and banana) and a beer!!   And the other good news is the weather has cooled a LOT which is a welcome relief from the heat and humidity in Halifax.

Here are the stats from Day One. Lots of climbing, but I think this is just the warm up to the main event. Had my heart rate monitor on as well. I know - I am a GEEK especially when I look at the others!!!


Tour Atlantic - Day One Stats


It was a great day, but the last ten K were BRUTAL. Only because I was pretty tired by then and it seemed there was one hill after another. Not huge, but enough to make life interesting. We did have some tough hills earlier in the day - steepness up to 15% but only for a few seconds. Lots of 10% increases, but not for long.

Had to stop for food a couple of times as I was EMPTY. Expended over 3,300 calories and there was NOTHING left in the tank.

The start





Peggys Cove


I'll finish this up when it stops raining.

OK - stopped raining but in order to get good internet access, I am sitting on the veranda of the camp ground office. Dinner is in twenty minutes and that is an event NOT to be missed. I am starving!!!!!!!

Hmmmmmmm - don't want to mention any names, but there are a couple of people on the trip - well let's just say the trip has gotten off to a bad start. Driving up and SIX hours into the trip - realized NO PASSPORT to get into Canada. Then no tent poles and well - many other little things.

We wanted to ride out of Halifax together and so we were waiting for this person to get organized and it delayed us by an hour and he still wasn't ready. We finally left without him.

Not that difficult to get out of the city and then on decent roads for the rest of the day. Got into Peggy's Cove and had a quick peek around. Hard to do tourist things when you have your bike and all the stuff on it. We had lunch there and then headed out again. I rode most of the day by myself which is how I like it. Then if I need a break - I don't feel like I am pulling the others down.

No incidents except when I was trying to get a drink of water and choked on the water. Had to stop!!!   What an idiot!!!!!

So there are NINE of us in total doing the ride. Bud (the owner) is also riding for part of the trip and his crew of two makes twelve in total. An interesting mix of people - I am sure we will all have fun!!!!

I have put my big camera in the front pannier BUT not in the case so it is much easier to get to. I didn't really take a lot of pictures. But very pretty as we rode along the shore line. The last 30 K were into a head wind and with the hills - well it was doable, but not the best riding. I'm lying - it wasn't that bad - maybe because I am stronger this year than in previous years. However on the last hill into the camp site - I wanted to cry. I was hungry, I was tired and I wanted to be HERE.

I brought my big down sleeping bag and I was thinking after the time we spent in Halifax that I would be sleeping ON it, not in it. But the temperature here is much cooler, so I think I will sleep in it. Maybe not zipped up, but in it!!!!

I have a feeling we will all be going to bed early!!!!!   Tomorrow is a shorter day by 30K so that will be a great second day. The longer days don't happen until the second week.

Well that is it - got to get my mess kit out and get ready for dinner.  And it has stopped raining!!!!



Have a good day



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. BANANA & BEER = BAD NEWS
    http://fulltummies.livejournal.com/3043.html

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete