Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tour Atlantic - Day Thirteen



Today was THE day that we have been dreading - the MOUNTAINS. Mike has already done this trip before and he has been VERY secretive about the hills. Yes - there are climbs, but he kept the information pretty tight. Probably sparing up the gory details.

Here are the stats..................

Tour Atlantic - Day Thirteen


Yes - those hills were every bit as gory as they look!!!!!!!


Ainsley got out on her bike and she was IMPRESSIVE. She took to those hills like a pro. And it was a Canadian Tire bike. I can only imagine how well she would have done with her own bike. Way to go Ainsley!!!!!!!!    She rode with Sharon and myself.

The day started out with a couple of decent climbs and then we hit the first mountain - French. Just as we were starting the first climb, my chain got jammed in the back wheel - just like Ainsley did the other day. I was going slow so I managed to clip out and hop off. As we were surveying the mess, who should come along, but Mike, George and Brian. So they rescued me and got me in the right gear (which I did not change out of the entire climb of French). I was a tad worried to touch the gears in case something went wrong and then I would be screwed for the day.

French Mountain was a tough climb - a lot of the climb was in the 8 - 9 % grade and it stayed there. NO RELIEF. Constant climbing for about 4 K. Then it was a nice gentle climb at the top as we rode along the ridge. Before we knew it we had reached the summit of the second mountain - McKenzie. It really was a non event - something I am very grateful for.

\Then we got to a MASSIVE descent and I mean MASSIVE. I don't think my video was working but I will check later and see what happened. The switchbacks were carzy and they were recommending 30 K on the corners. Well I think we were going faster than that - or so it seemed.

We stopped often to take pictures which I will load later tonight.

Then THE climb of the day - North Mountain. This was an INSANE climb. I mean there were some points where the grade was 17% and for some stretches - it was 13 - 16%. When it dropped to 12% you felt LUCKY. The worst was the climb was constant - there was NO let up.

We had to stop a couple of times for a break - my legs felt like limp spaghetti and then we were at the top but it wasn't really the top because the summit was a k away but it was a big deal.

Then came another MASSIVE descent. It was crazy - but the scenery was absolutely amazing. Breathtaking.

It was only about 20 K to camp after that, but honestly I didn't really care although we had some climbing to do - it wasn't that bad.

Let's just say that after yesterday and today - my legs are tired!!!!!!


The tent is up FOR THE LAST TIME on this trip. And there is a nasty wind that has come up (thank god we are in camp) so hopefull said tent is still in place. Currently sitting at the campsite office in order to get wi-fi.

Well there you have it - we have one more day. I will try to edit the pictures and get them loaded later.



Renee wanted to sleep in her hammock. So she choose last night to so do. One of the coldest nights. I hear she stayed out until 2 AM



Sign for North Mountain - see the grade and the mileage!!!!!   Yikes and that is the side we came DOWN!!!!!




The summit of McKenzie Mountain which really didn't even count


Summit of NOrth Mountain (I took a picture of the other mountain with the other camera)

Some of the pictures we took while on the mountains. Again you CANNOT appreciate the beauty and depth and height -

Just before our first climb on French Mountain

Yep - that's me!!!   I look like a dork with my helmet cam - that didn't work!!!!!!    GRRRRRRRR




Ainsley and Sharon at one of the numerous look outs along the route



The view were breath taking


See that road down below - we had to get there and we didn't have much road to do that!!!!!    This was the descent from McKenzie Mountain about half way down.



This is looking UP at where we just came down on the descent for North Mountain. Pretty amazing that we actually rode down that!!!!!!



AGain - looking back up NOrth Mountain


Looking out over the valley from North Mountain


Oh yes - let me say the roads were in EXCELLENT condition. We had a bit of a tail wind for part of the day and the weather - you couldn't get better weather. It was AWESOME.



Sharon - at lunch. She was stretching while she fixed her water bottles - and you say we can't multi taks!!!!!


Ainsley having lunch



The view from our camp ground - this field is now covered with tents. - We are near Digwall



Mia, Dorothea and Ian after they arrived at camp



Our last supper!

Frank and one of his TWICE daily packets of pills

This campsite was FAMOUS for its fresh oysters. Only a few partook in that activity!!!!

The guys checking out the oysters

Mike slurping them back like a pro

Ian - a master oyster shucker!

Brian - tentatively eyeing his second one

Way to go Brian!!!!!!

Sharon - interviewing Frank! 

Mia putting her tent up in the wind


And there you have it - I am UP TO DATE again. One day left to ride!!!!!!!

Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Totally awesome, sounds like you had an amazing day! Enjoy your evening, can't wait to see all the pix!

    Ronda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday!! Wanted to do this earlier but was having trouble with the 'puter here in Cayuga. We are now 'cooking with gas' so HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Safe journey coming home.

    <3 M

    ReplyDelete