Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Tour Atlantic - Day TWo


What a difference a day makes!!!  Today I am sitting in a cute shelter with internet access - great internet access, a fan to keep me cool and a table with chairs. Almost as good as being home.




Does make you wonder - why do people go camping when they need to be connected to the interent????   Oh dear - that would be ME!!!!!!   And at one point today we saw two people going for a ride in a horse drawn carriage and the girl was on her flipping phone!!!!!   At least I don't do that!!!!

Finally had a good nights sleep IN MY TENT. Everything worked out perfect - not missing anything - but my lantern did not work. The batteries are shot!!!!   Hey M - are you listening - you owe me new batteries!!!!!


Our camp site from Day One - my tent just to the right of the tree

And it would appear there are no snorers in our group - well not big ones anyway, but I have ear plugs just in case!!!!

The rain did let up yesterday and it was relatively dry when we went to bed. But woke up to a HEAVY mist and fog. That means the tents got packed away WET. Not my favourite - but what can you do. Just pray that there will be sun at the next campground so everything can dry out.

I was up and packed and ready to go by 7:30. It helps when you have done the routine before. One of our group - Scott (who is NOT an earlier riser) asked his wife when she went back in the tent at 6:30 - if anyone was up!!!!   By then - half the camp was torn down!!!!!

A hearty breakfast of pancakes and oatmeal, made that peanut butter sandwich for lunch and threw all my junk on the truck and I was ready to go. So were George and Mike. Now they are two of the fast riders - they get into camp first everyday. They said they would ride with me. OH NO!!!!    No pressure. But it does help to ride in a group so we made pretty good time. More on that later.

The mist/fog was so heavy that I had to take my glasses off because I couldn't see with them on. Thank goodness that cleared up about 10 K down the road. Also had my little red flashing light on my helmet.

We did not really stop many places. It is very hard to be a tourist when you are on a bike. Well I find that - you really just want the "agony" of the day to be over and get to camp!!!!!

We did stop in Mahone Bay and take a picture.


Mahone Bay - very pretty little town

And then we were off. We came to an intersection and went through. About 5 K down the road, I realized that we had NOT taken the right road. CRAP CRAP CRAP. I was able to flag Mike down and we consulted the maps and the GPS and yes - we were NOT on track. My heart sank!  

But I turned around and Mike went to catch George. We all caught up at Highway 324 which said Lunenburg which was our next stop. Thank goodness that the detour was all downhill to the highway so it didn't take long and we were off.

Made it to Lunenburg where we had a great lunch (no peanut butter for me today) - at 10:00 AM. Hey - I was hungry!!!  Got a picture or two and then we were off.



Docks at Lunenburg
 I know - you are saying - why didn't you find a souvenir shop - why didn't you geocache - why not find a quilt store???   Well - I just wanted to get to camp, so I didn't check any of that.

The hills - well let me tell you about the hills. While none of them are big - they are CONSTANT. I mean you are just up one and then there is another. It was relentless. And while I could "keep up" to George and Mike on the flat stretches - I SUCK at hills. So they slowed down so I could catch up. They did get ahead of me at the end for which I was thankful because while they said - oh we don't mind a leisurely day - what about ME??????    My legs are tired today, but I am sure they will be fine tomorrow. Some of the hills were 10-11% and one was up to 15%. Oh yes - just my kind of hills. Thank goodness none of them lasted too long.

Oh yes - I forgot about our trip out of Lunenburg. So we look at the map and get on the highway. Then we get to one spot and George pipes up "I've seen that dead raccoon before". I mean - could you not notice the houses or something else, but you recognize the road kill?????   I was going so "fast" - I didn't recognize a thing!!!!!

Anyway after arriving back at that intersection - we realized that we were supposed to have  taken the road that followed the coastline to Lunenburg, not the highway. So we did the highway up and down. Oh well. Better map reading called for tomorrow and it was only 12 K or so more than we were supposed to ride. But why on a day when I was riding with the fast people?????

Arrived at camp to come down a MASSIVE hill into camp that we will all likely walk up - it is gravel and not going to be fun to start the day with a hill like that.

I needed food when I arrived so had two apples, one beer and a LOT of water. Did I mention that it is HOT HOT HOT. We laid out our tents and they got dried VERY QUICKLY. I think I am organized for this evening. I want something else to eat, but better wait for dinner. I may not lose any weight on this trip!!!!!

So that is it for now. I cannot for the life of me remember the passwords to upload the stats from the day, but now I have to walk back to the tent to get that information. This time - I will leave it in my bag!!!!!   And in order to walk to the tent area - I have to walk up another hill. Perfect training for the bikes!!!!


The hill to the campsite (but this is NOT the big hill into the camp ground)



Our evening chef - Renee enjoying a leisurely moment


Organizing the chairs so they could dry!!!!

And guess what is for dinner tonight - mussels?????   Oh well - they might be good. I guess I have no choice or I might be eating that peanut butter sandwich that I didn't eat at lunch.


OK - here are the stats!!!!   Have a look at that map - STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!

Tour Atlantic Day Two - Stats


Have a great day!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. The circumstances are such that we don't have a choice. We were put in that situation by losing three games in a row. We know the path that is ahead of us. It's a tough journey, but the guys are looking forward to it.

    Flights to Abuja
    Cheap Air Tickets to Abuja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi:

    If you are going up the north side of the Cabot Trail, when you pass by Rita McNeil's Tea Room, wave at them and say hi. Or better yet, stop and go in for a cup of tea. We really enjoyed it when we were there. I believe it is in Big Pond.

    You're going to love those hills????!!

    <3 M

    ReplyDelete