Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Barns and quilts

Another slack day! At least in the quilting world. Got nothing done that was quilt related, BUT I got a TON of phone calls done, paperwork finished and filed and computer work completed. So the day was NOT a dud. Oh yes - finished that book!!!!!    And attended a small "flash mob" (geocaching) birthday event for Ronda's 40th birthday.

Ronda's "flash mob" geocaching birthday event!!!!



Plus errands and since M is learning to drive, she has to drive to all the errands. I will be gray SOON. Actually she isn't doing too bad, drives too close to the curb, has to figure out the shoulder checking thing, but doing not bad.


OK - I promised you something quilt related today and here it is. You have all heard about quilts on barns - very prominent in the US. And there is a barn trail in Ontario as well. But who would have thought that Saskatchewan would have quilts on barns????


We are driving along and my Mom spotted the first one.


Wow - this is so cool. This quilt block is on a barn in Dodsland, Saskatchewan

This "quilt" was on the side of the same building

Here are both

We had no idea who had done them.


Then we continue driving and my Mom spots another one. STOP the car - we need a picture.


Another quilt block on a barn.


This is too neat and now we are on the hunt. Perhaps there are MORE???????   A few KM down the road - there is another one on the opposite side of the highway, but my Dad was focused on driving and we drove right past it. DRAT!!!!!!   Too late to get him to stop.


I was excited and posted the pictures on FaceBook. Never thought anything more about the quilts on barns UNTIL I went to Moose Jaw and talked to Jeanne and Shelley - the owners of The Quilt Patch. Shelley (one of my Facebook friends) tells me that she knows the lady who owns the quilt blocks on the barns. No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    AND - that lady will be at the dinner that night!!!!!!!!!!!!!     WHAT!!!!!   NO WAY!!!!!!


So at the dinner, I met Susan. A wonderful lady and she told me the story of the quilt blocks. First, she does not know who did the blocks in Dodsland, but Susan owns the other two. She is hoping that her blocks will encourage others in the neighbourhood to put blocks on their barns as well.

I was so excited and what were the chances that after seeing the barns that I would actually meet the lady who made them - in a completely different city than either of us lived!!!!!    Ah - the wonders of the internet.


Then we saw this barn........................


Painted barn


OK - so this barn is not quilt related, but very HIGHLY decorated with paint. I see energetic teens graduating from high school making their mark on this barn. That's what it looked like.


There you have it. Oh - I hoped to find a picture of the other quilt block on Susan's Facebook page, but I didn't see it. I will ask her to send it to me.


Have a great day. Today - I am not even going to attempt anything quilt related - I have a ton of errands and phone calls to make and I had best get started.



Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment