Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tour ATlantic - Day TWelve



Sorry - could not post yesterday - NO internet. But I did write up the info otherwise I can easily get confused as one day leads into another.

Here are the stats -

Tour Atlantic - Day Twelve



What a day!!!! This was a LONG day - we had to cycle 100 MILES. Yes that is MILES.

Everyone was a bit apprehensive so we all got an early start.

Thank goodness for the -10  C quality sleeping bag because the nights seem to be getting colder. I even got my big booties out to keep my feet warm - not from the wet, but from the cold.

Our camp wasn't all that close to the showers and the camp site so that was a bit of a pain.

Anyway - we all got off to an early start. Not that 100 Miles is such a big deal, but add the hills and that is a BIG deal. I was very surprised because although there were hills, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. There were a couple of big ones to climb, but most were pretty gentle (or so it seems now that we are in camp!!!!) How quickly we forget!!!!

The sun was out, the temperature was perfect and for the most part, the roads were in pretty good shape. Although there was one section that is up for repaving - well they need to be paving it NOW. It was disgusting. Huge holes, cracks and other bad things.

And then there was a couple of sections where there were cracks and after hearing "thump" "thump" "thump" for a while, you get tired. Actually I didn't get tired of hearing it - my butt got tired of feeling those cracks.

I rode with Sharon again and we did pretty well together. However I have to say that between 80K and 100 K - I was having a rough time. My leg/butt joint was starting to hurt and I wasn't comfortable on the bike. I even entertained the thought of getting a ride - everytime a truck or a van/trailer combination went by - I was tempted. Then I took an advil, took a little stretch and the road got better and I was able to ride the next 60K with much better comfort.

I must say that I was GLAD to arrive at camp as was everyone else.

Now if you remember Ainsley had a crash yesterday and was unable to acquire the parts for her bike. So she stopped in Port Hawkesbury at Canadian Tire and bought herself a NEW bike. You have to understand that her original bike is a Cervelo which is a fairly high end bike. And so quite the differnce between the two bikes. When she got to camp (on the truck) she switchd as many pieces from her Cervelo (pedals, seat, etc.) so that she could ride the "new" bike.

So we are now ensconced in the Provincial Park outside Cheticamp (which is a pretty neat town - although I saw little of it as I cruised through to get to camp). I dropped Sharon just before the camp - I just wanted to get to camp and I couldn't wait! Sorry Sharon.

But the BEST news of the day awaited me when I got to camp. I was thinking that we had to ride 136 K tomorrow including the THREE mountain peaks. Yeah - three mountain peaks to climb. However I see by the map that we only have to ride 73 K. Yes - only 73K - now we still have to climb the three peaks, but once we are done - we are done!!!!!! I am so excited, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. That was the best news EVER!!!!!!!!

I jerry rigged my helmet cam to my helmet since I misplaced the actual strap before I left home. I just could not find the darn thing. So I got zip ties and another mount and I set up the camera and it seems to be working pretty well. I took a couple of videos today - so I will try to load the video later. And then I hope to get some of the video tomorrow while we are on the Cabot Trail.

Yes - we are on the Cabot Trail. Here I am thinking that we were going to spend FIVE days climbing major hills and climbing mountains, but no - it appears that there is really only one bad day of climbing and one long day of cycling. So it really isn't as bad as I thought it was all going to be.

Ainsley is walking around with socks and sandals - a scandal. And people keep walking around taking pictures. No fire tonight - shoot - it is now DARK and we have no internet or cell service so I am just writing in notepad to keep everything organized.

 

We rode along the coast and for some reason - I keep thinking that I am in Newfoundland. DUH!!!!!!! We saw the ferry that goes to NFL, but no we are in Cape Breton. I even saw two quilt stores today, but I don't think they were open - and even if they were standing on the edge of the road handing out fabric - I could NOT have cared less. I just wanted to get to camp!!!!!! We arrived shortly after 4 PM which was my goal time.

It seems that some of the others have gone to watch the movie at the camp ground. It is almost two hours long so that is not going to happen for me. I am off to bed to try and finish my book.

And did I mention that we are eating like KINGS and QUEENS. The food is great - lots of it and I have STOPPED taking second helpings!!!!! Or I will arrive home much heavier than when I left which would be a bad thing!!!!! 

 

Mike suggested that I ask the others what their highlight of the day was and I got Frank's comment.....

Frank's interesting note - his bacon/egg on a bun, no mayo and half the cheese. He is shying away from his heart doctor. Frank also got chased by a dog. Although we are not sure how BIG that dog was!!!! He seems to get bigger with each telling of the story.


Hard to see - but this is Ainsley's injury. She was VERY lucky



Ainsley's Canadian Tire special!!!!  


 


George cleaing his bike


Team dinner
Bridge to Cape Breton


The other end of the dinner table



That's me by the Cabot Trail sign. That road behind me would have taken us to Baddeck - our final destination. But NO - we had to take the long way around and over the mountains.


Frank with his pants - trying to pull them up to his arm pits??????




Some of the landscapes. Honestly the pictures just do not do justice. And the weather for the last couple of days has been PERFECT!!!!!!!


Looking out to the ocean



Another ocean shot

A beach along the way


Cyclists welcome??


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




PS - I will load the pictures later - they have to be edited and my laptop battery is going to die soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment