Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Multitasking - does it really work????


After teaching a class yesterday (more on that another day), but I got home and decided that I NEEDED to get that computer of mine fixed up.  Don't worry - there is a quilting component to this story.

I made contact with the support company in India. No talking - you just open the program and it links to a person. Same thing happened when I opened up a web site (when I was searching for something) and a chat window popped up. I "chatted" to the sales person, got the info I needed and we never spoke!!!

Anyway - so they start poking in my computer. To backtrack - the issue was LOW DISK SPACE on the recovery disk drive which is D. My regular drive is C.

This is what they found................



OH MY GOD - BOTH drives are CRITICAL. There was 10 GB left on my C drive. Meaning I had NO SPACE. 
Oh crude - what is going on??????   While the guys are doing the stuff on the computer - you are supposed to be there so you can chat if necessary, give permissions or whatever. Since my sewing machine is RIGHT behind the computer - I thought - I can sew while they are working. 

I start sewing my log cabins (from the morning class). The computer link was lost and it took 20 minutes to reboot the computer. I get back to a new technician. He starts poking around and does some work - then we lose the connection AGAIN. Another 20 minute delay while the computer reboots. Then I get a THRID technician and she seems to be getting somewhere. Then after about 30 minutes of work - the connection gets lose AGAIN. I am about ready to throw in the towel at this point. And let's not forget that I am working on my log cabin blocks while all this is going on. Hey - I am good - I can multitask.  

I also (through my iPad) contacted Canon and got a service contract initiated for the repair on the camera. The phone ran several times and I dealt with that. Hey - this is easy - I am NOT talking to these guys so I can multitask. 

THEN DISASTER - I check the blocks - OH MY GOD - I sewed the strip on the WRONG side. And I didn't just sew it on one block - OH NO - I sewed ALL the blocks - 22 of them. 


the BAD block. See that log on the left should have been sewn on the bottom of this block


After the third connection loss, I get a phone call - the guys in India decided that I was frustrated enough (we are now talking HOURS of time on one issue) that they would stay on the phone with me while they did the work. And we NEVER lost the connection once. Since I couldn't really sew - (I tried that once before when I was working with them and they can hear the sewing machine on the phone), so I RIPPED out all those crudy blocks.

The bottom line - I did get all of that round on the blocks and they look awesome and I did get the computer fixed (I think). At least we freed up 104 GB of space. Temporary files that accumulate from opening stuff on the internet. Now why isn't there something that eliminates those temp files?????    DH says that it is a setting so I must find it. The guys in India just said that I could buy a software that does it automatically for $40 or I could call them (every THREE WEEKS) as part of my contract. I opted to call them - why spend $40 even if it is automatic. My goal is to investigate Google Chrome and Internet Explorer to see what settings they have to fix this problem.


My next challenge will be to move (or copy) my data onto the external hard drive which has LOADS of room. The technicians said that I should have about 1/4 of my hard disk free to allow optimization of my system. Oh boy - computers suck when they don't work. And doesn't this happen to other people?????



So does multitasking work????   Well yes and no - just make sure you know what you are doing or you are going to be screwed!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Download a free program called Ccleaner and run it every once in a while. It cleans off a lot of crap. I've used it for several years and it seems to work fine.

    ReplyDelete