Sunday, February 3, 2013

We have a slight problem..............


Oh dear - you know how the best laid plans - well sometimes things don't go as planned.


We (well technically Marian) saw this wonderful pattern in a magazine and after a bit of discussion, we (her and I) decided that it would make a great raffle quilt. So after much work - I (and other guild members) got the center together.



The raffle quilt center - notice how I placed the values of red so they are symmetrical!!!!   As best I could - we did NOT plan those reds - I just cut and sewed. 

Then as the rows were going together, I started to think about the border which is the star blocks. Hmmmm - I don't think they are going to fit!!!!!!!!!!!!   The original pattern had only NINE blocks - ours has 25. Yep - we have a problem - the blocks DO NOT fit across the quilt.

Here is one border and you can see how the left border is hanging longer than the center



Oh crud - that means I have to add a white border between the two. Actually in retrospect, I think it will be better. Separate the two busy areas. It isn't going to be big - the strips have to be cut 2 3/4". A task for later today - well I will add it to the list of tasks for later today and which one will get chosen????


I "figured" out my picture problem. It appears that the folder I was trying to access is NOT my main picture folder. I was in a TOTAL flap after waiting so long for the computer to reboot that I didn't even notice. But I have no idea why I am denied access to several of those picture files in another area. Will have to check that out.


This is one of the messages on my computer yesterday morning as I PATIENTLY waited for it to reboot!!!!!



Taught a class yesterday and while the ladies were busy sewing, I managed to get the rest of Easy Street DONE DONE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Clue SIX - DONE. It was EASY since it required only cutting. If you used more than one BLACK/WHITE - you had to piece those squares, but since I used the same background, I just had to cut. That means that I am READY to get Clue 7 and start sewing those blocks together. 
And here are all the components. I am happy to say that they are all trimmed and ready to go. And they were ALL sewn as enders and leaders!!!!!!



What else have I been working on?????


Leftovers by Cozy Quilt Designs

This is a sample for a class I am teaching at the Hobby Horse on March 9th!!!!   There is another pattern as well called Intertwined. You will see that soon.


Anyway making this quilt was a bit of an eye opener for me. First the pattern is made from a jelly roll.


Well technically it isn't a jelly roll, but you get the idea - it was a package of precut strips.

I have had this package FOREVER and well - why am I saving it??????   So I broke down and ripped off the packaging and started to sew.

 When I was done, I have leftovers which I seam ripped apart last night while listening to my audio book. They will go in the scrap batik box which is now TWO boxes and I NEED to do something with them.

Scraps leftover from the strip piecing
I also had these leftovers (that top piece is made up of three pieces)

The BIG question is - do I just sew them together to make a half square triangle - but the seams will be OFFSET and that bugs me. 
Or do I offset them to match up those vertical seams and make a rectangle. 


I think the rectangle will win - I really should have pieced those rectangles (when I make them) into the backing, but I didn't want to take the time.



Here is the top, backing and binding - I think I might just sneak it on the machine which has sat idle for weeks and I am BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I like pre-cuts!!!!    They are too restrictive. You have lights and darks and mediums, but never in the quantity that you need to make good contrast. I do have a few of them, but I don't know that I will buy more. Oh dear - I guess if I had found that out BEFORE I purchased the others, I would have saved myself some money!!!!


Now the GREAT SUGAR debate rages on in our house. DH and M BOTH claim that they do NOT eat excessive amounts of sugar and so they think this is NOT going to be a big deal for them. Well - I have to say that M has become a VERY healthy eater (how did that happen?????) and while DH doesn't eat a lot of sugar, I am sure there is enough hidden in what we eat.

For those of you who are going to follow along on the no sugar for 30 days, here are a couple of things to contemplate as we approach that date later this month.

We are NOT going to completely eliminate sugar as I don't think we would be able to do that, but start having a look at the labels on your food. If sugar or one of the "oses" is in the top THREE - then that food must be eliminated. Pop - even DIET - well we won't go there. That "food item" is just the absolute worst thing you can put in your body, particularly DIET. DIET pop should just be banned!!!!!!!!!  


OK - so check the food labels - if sugar or a variation of sugar is in the top three - it will be off limits
Start looking for foods that you can substitute - yogurt is a big thing in our house, but apparently you can purchase yogurt without sugar.
Think about doing a detox or a cleanse to get started or you can go cold turkey.

Bottom line - this has become a lively dinner table discussion which if nothing else has been great!!!!!!


Got to run - loads of fun things happening today.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment