Saturday, April 25, 2015

What to do if...............


While there are lots of different ways to work on a project - there are probably two main ways to get organized.

There are those that gather the pattern, all the requirements - fabric, interfacing, batting, thread, etc. You know - you are making a bag and you MUST find the perfect colour thread to do the stitching.

The second way - you stockpile - not that I know ANYONE who stock piles. You start to work on your project late at night. Yep - everything is going great. You leave the project for a while, then come back - again LATE at night. Ah - crud - not going to have enough of that thread colour. Scrounge through the partially filled bobbins to find something to work in the bobbin so you won't have to use the good colour - well the best matching colour you could find in the thread box.

Oh no - bobbins used up. Hmmm - and you are working on the only spool that you have of that colour. ACK - well - back to the thread box - what is the next closest colour?  CLOSE ENOUGH!!!

It makes me laugh how crazed we get about matching and when push comes to shove - we just wing it!!!!  I know I would be bored to tears if every project went perfect. Every screw up, every design challenge because part of the life of that project and the more "bad" things that happen - the more interesting the project when it is complete!!!!

Case in point - I am trying to get a bag done this morning. Oh - it has been sitting here for a long time, but I NEED it this morning. The good news - I am almost done, and the bad news?  Well there is no bad news this time, except I had to find more thread to do the topstitching!!!


Getting low on this colour

The next best colour
(Don't worry - when you see the colour of the bag - the prints are VERY busy! -both thread colours work just fine!)   The big question is - do I buy a new spool of that dark brown? Just in case????

You see why I piece with ONE colour for everything. Then I never have to worry about running out of thread. Just buy lots of that one brand and colour!!!!   It is these darn bags which I seem to be doing a LOT of that require a thread colour that is somewhat in the ball park of the fabric colours!!!

It was a ZOO yesterday at the CreativFestival. An ABSOLUTE ZOO.  I don't think I have ever seen it that busy.  We couldn't even get into our own booth. I had a couple of demos and there was STANDING room only in the first one. And at one point, the line to the cash was so long that we got complaints from the show office!!!

My leg was pretty tired at the end of the day - well not tired, but in a lot of pain, but as soon as I sat down - it isn't so bad.  But the show must go on!!!!!   I really can't blame anyone since I am too "busy" to book that damn physio appointment.

I didn't spend a single penny - but I did scout out a couple of things that I will pick up today.

I got to chat and see so many people - it was awesome. Great to see everyone!!!!!    Some people I hadn't seen in years!!!!  Just like school reunion!   As much as I hate the set up and take down and the long hours on the concrete floor - I do love the atmosphere of the CreativFestival and well as long as I find someone to let me work for them - I'll do the show!!!!   I learned a few tricks that I have wanted to learn and will share them with you at some point.

I hope for those that came to CreativFestival yesterday that you will be at the Mississauga Quilt Show today!!


The studio is looking worse and worse by the day - I'll grab some photos tonight when I get back which will be late since it is tear down day!!    Yep - literally throw stuff out of one bag and restuff it with more stuff.  Got two short classes at Hobby Horse this morning and another demo this afternoon on bags. Oh yes - the excitement just never stops around here!!!!


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!


Ciao!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment