Thursday, November 19, 2015

Independence Day!!!!!


It's been a long time coming, but Independence Day has arrived at our house. Yes - there are a few mixed emotions about the whole thing, but overall I'm thrilled - for all parties involved. It is something that I've wanted to happen for the last couple of years and well - it has happened!!!!!


My kid has flown the coop!  She's gone!!!!   Yipppeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooooops - I mean.................


I wanted her to live in residence when she went to college, but NOPE - she had too cooshy of a life at home and so that didn't happen. And I have basically wanted her to move out for the last couple of years. One of us was going to kill the other soon!

Here is an interesting quote that pretty much sums up the last couple of years at our house.

“Adolescence is perhaps nature’s way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest.”
Karen Savage and Patricia Adams

While I miss M a lot and Little Sammy is beside herself - this really was the best move for all parties.

So now you are wanting to know the details????   Remember that photo I posted yesterday - about having a fabric mule picking up license plates. Did you notice where those plates came from????

Here's the picture again.


Row by Row license plates


Can you see which STATES those are from???   Yep - that would be Idaho and Oregon.

Here's what happened..................

But first - a bit of background about me.   I left home when I was 17 and lived in my own apartment. My parents taught us to be independent (and there's a whole nother story about that to come!)   Anyway - then I left for one year to live in various parts of Canada with a youth program called Katimavik. After that was over, I then drove from Regina to Toronto by myself in TWO days.  Don't ask me how I did it - I shudder now at the thought!   I've lived down east ever since.

M decided a while back that she wanted to move away from home.  I was thrilled - then she told me where she wanted to live and I wasn't so thrilled, but given my background - I wasn't going to discourage her.  We must follow our dreams and build on our OWN decisions.  She had some very grandiose ideas about what her life would be like and I have to say that her parents did intervene somewhat.  I won't go into details, but let's just say that I could NOT wait for that moving day to happen.  I have been ready to pack her things months ago and personally pay for all the shipping just to speed things along.

At last after some stalling, the move date was picked and I was secretly counting the days.  Gosh - I sound like an ungrateful mother!  The sorting, the packing, the repacking and at last the car was filled. There was much discussion about the distance and the fact that she wanted to do it alone.  We put our foot down and so DH got the task of going with her!!!!

I bought her a GPS as a going away present. That is a very useful tool and it got used the entire trip.

So where did she end up????   She is in Vancouver!!!!!!!   Yep - she wanted to drive there by herself across the US.  She had a plan all mapped out over 7 driving days.  I was able to follow them on Google Maps  - actually the Row by Row map and anticipate the roads they were going to take.  I simply picked quilt stores along the route. Called them to see if they still had plates - and so M and DH became my fabric mules!!!   How cool is that!  Those are probably the most special plates from my entire collection of license plates.

So M is now working at her new home for an on-line company  - Shopify - as a customer service rep.  She is currently doing training and she is living with her aunt - another area where we took a bit of intervention. That situation is tempoary as she investigates exactly where she would like to end up and she needs to save some money.

Here is another quote about empty nesters that I think is very appropriate.............

“You see much more of your children after they leave home.”
—Lucille Ball

Now I doubt that this one is true - but she was never home so not a lot has changed.    Oh my god - who am I kidding - a LOT has changed.   Let's see though - she left on November 5 (am I good at keeping a secret or what!).  Had to find a sitter for Little Sammy because everyone was away while I was at the retreat but Little Sammy's sitter was also good at cleaning the house and I came home to a sparkling clean kitchen and bathroom that belonged to M.  So now you know why I am going through the sorting process one more time.  While I am not throwing her stuff away - let's just say that it wasn't very tidy and so I am packing boxes, folding clothes and putting things away.   I have reclaimed FOUR rooms upstairs and well - wait until you see my plans for those rooms!!!!

But when there is a mess - we know who to blame - just ourselves. When I clean the fridge (or have it cleaned) - I know it will stay clean.  And I could go on and on but I won't.  I think you get the picture!!!!

Speaking of pictures - here are some pictures that M sent to me from her trip. No explanation as to what they are so I am going to make it up!!!!



The trip begins
 The tripometer is at zero so I am assuming this was the start.


GPS on Day Two -
 They stayed in Chicago the first day. DesMoines the next. Can't remember the next day, then Denver, Salt Lake City, near Boise, Portland and on into Vancouver.

Snow in the mountains

CARS

Happy happy happy!!!!!

Picture of a quilt they knew I loved!!!!!!
The stats


Wow - there you have it!!!!!   I'm not going to tell anyone, but I think M was actually happy to have the company and I think DH drove a LOT of the way. That freed M up to take pictures and video!!!!

Change is good - I'm thrilled for her. I'm so excited as she moves into the world of getting established and seeing what new adventures await her. She is a phone call or a text message or a SKYPE call away.  This is so good for all parties involved, I am beyond myself with excitement!!!!  (mostly for me!)

On that note - I'm out of here.


Have a great day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment