Wednesday, August 15, 2018

The BiQUE Ride - Day Three - Part Two

I made it to Picton and that was a bit of a challenge to get through the busy town (lots of parked cars on the streets and the street traffic was busy) and then I was on my way to the ferry. I’m not big on stopping at a restaurant to eat. I just can’t stomach that much food and then get back on the bike. I’m a snacker even at home. I mention that because Picton was our best option to stop for lunch. Too early anyway.

I made it to the ferry just as the gate was closing. The lady asked if I wanted on - YES and I was away. No need to wait although the ferry runs back and forth without stopping - well except to let the cars off.

For the most part, the roads/bike paths have been great. But we ran into a lot of construction yesterday. A LOT and so we were on the road with the traffic. For the most part, people have been pretty courteous so no complaints there. But there are times when you can see how accidents can happen. Remember - this can happen even when passing a car. So you move over to pass me - some people get really carried away and will go completely into the other lane. There’s no need for that - three feet is the law. But some are going so fast that when they swing back into the lane at their speed, that they are swerving and swaying. Especially a larger vehicle or one with a trailer. People need to see this in action so they can appreciate it. All that needs to happen to pass is that they slow slightly or not over correct to get back into their lane. It’s an accident waiting to happen for some and who would get blamed? The cyclists because the vehicle was swerving around to pass.

The sky was getting darker and darker and I’m now 10 KM from the downtown Kingston. I think I’m going to make it without getting wet although I’ve gotten wet instantly in a downpour on previous trips. I’m three K from the hotel when it starts to rain. Not hard and I didn’t get soaked, but I got dampish. So close!!!

Checked in and had a shower. There was a LOT of dirt and grit and sweat and sunscreen on my legs. Now that feels better. I found a convenience store down the street and bought a chocolate milk - on top of the chocolate milk and chocolate bar I had had earlier. Like I said - I like snacks.

We had a small reception when everyone arrived and was cleaned up (5:30). More snacks - veggies - yum. Then someone mentioned they wanted pasta - that sounded like a great idea so I went out for pasta. That was a mistake. It was so heavy - I’m still digesting it. I don’t feel awful, but I had eaten way too much at the end of the day. Won’t be making that same mistake - I probably won’t need to eat today (just kidding) with everything I ate last night.

We’re right downtown Kingston which is fun. I was out walking around last night and came across a great book store. Not a used one (that’s for today), but new books. Interesting finds in the craft section and a brand new local author who has written a psychological thriller with a sequel. I’m going back today. Got to remember books are heavy! Thankfully, not taking a plane home.

Well - I think I have the same roommates beside me.  GRRR. While I couldn’t hear them talking (well - their specific words), I could hear their DAMN TV and I could hear them yawning. Shut the friggin thing off and go to bed!!!!  They shut it down at 11.  I was tired, but couldn’t sleep. Should have brought ear plugs.

The day looks gorgeous so far and well - it’s time to get going. I’ve a lot to do today (It’s a est day) and no time like the present to have breakfast. I know - not really hungry, but I need to eat.

Oh yes - m FitBit is going crazy. 33,000 steps yesterday. I’ve no idea why it’s registering my bike ride - unless, I’m waving my hand????

Have a super day

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment